Retuning The FZ6 to its R6 Roots

jcbrown630

Ok new member and owner. I just picked up my new 09 FZ6R friday. I'm an experienced rider and mechanic. In my understanding the FZ6 is built around a detuned 04-05 R6 motor. If this is accurate information what steps did yamaha take to detune and take the edge off the power and power delivery of the powerplant for this bike? What can be done to regain the power?

What are the biggest bang per buck mods to the bike?
Popular free mods?

Not looking to get an R6 out of this bike. Just enjoy tinkering. I can't own a bike and not learn and tinker with it.:iconbeer:

M76

From what I understand most of the mods to the original R6 motor occurred in the top end of the engine, namely changes in the valve sizes. This allowed the engine to produce more low-mid range torque at the expense of horsepower high up.

Do a search around the forums. Exhaust mods are quite popular as some R6 headers will bolt onto the FZ6R...

Spunky99

From what I understand most of the mods to the original R6 motor occurred in the top end of the engine, namely changes in the valve sizes. This allowed the engine to produce more low-mid range torque at the expense of horsepower high up.

Do a search around the forums. Exhaust mods are quite popular as some R6 headers will bolt onto the FZ6R...
Sorry...not true..I did an exhaustive examination of the differences between a R6 and an FZ6 and they involve stroke, compression, valve size, big cam difference, gearing ratios, throttle body sizes. Those are the physical changes. The ECR has changed as well.

Once I have changed out my exhaust system, I think I will have completed the most comprehensive upgrades possible to date for this bike. There is a possibility of a throttle body jet bore but I haven't fully evaluated that change and the expected results yet. I'm also contemplating a fairing mod with handlebar change to clip-ons and rear sets but that is not going to affect the engine performance.
Just check my sig...

Yellow09FZ6R

My Z1000 was kind of a detuned ZX9/ZX10 motor, the main difference was the cam profile. People had put in ZX10 cams and woke them up quite a bit. Does anyone know if R6 cams would fit into our motors?

Spunky99

My Z1000 was kind of a detuned ZX9/ZX10 motor, the main difference was the cam profile. People had put in ZX10 cams and woke them up quite a bit. Does anyone know if R6 cams would fit into our motors?
Yes a R6 cam will fit but what do you do about the throttle bodies, valves, compression, stroke and gearing?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yes a R6 cam will fit but what do you do about the throttle bodies, valves, compression, stroke and gearing?
I say leave it, for the time being. It would be best to change one thing at a time and see how that affects performance. That way it's a lot easier to decide what makes the most difference, rather than changing it all at once and then trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Just MHO.

jcbrown630

I've done plenty of top end work on cars but not bikes. How much different is it really? If i can find some decent r6 cams i'm going to polish the lobes and slip them in :D

EDIT:

Also what about the juice box and other electronic tuning boxes. Worth the ~$300?

Spunky99

I've done plenty of top end work on cars but not bikes. How much different is it really? If i can find some decent r6 cams i'm going to polish the lobes and slip them in :D

EDIT:

Also what about the juice box and other electronic tuning boxes. Worth the ~$300?
Do you need a set of 42mm 6R6 throttle bodies? I'm sitting on a set that I won't be using and you can have them cheap. If you are going to change the cam, you will need a larger intake.

The PC V is what I'm using and I can't wait to see my fuel economy. I'm almost at 300 miles on the tank and I've been goosing the heck outta this Beyotch....lol....

M76

Sorry...not true..I did an exhaustive examination of the differences between a R6 and an FZ6 and they involve stroke, compression, valve size, big cam difference, gearing ratios, throttle body sizes. Those are the physical changes. The ECR has changed as well.

Once I have changed out my exhaust system, I think I will have completed the most comprehensive upgrades possible to date for this bike. There is a possibility of a throttle body jet bore but I haven't fully evaluated that change and the expected results yet. I'm also contemplating a fairing mod with handlebar change to clip-ons and rear sets but that is not going to affect the engine performance.
Just check my sig...
I stand corrected! I think besides mods with the exhaust (either two bros or an R6 header and muffler combo) there isn't really much that can be done without considerable effort. Given this, I'd likely be inclined to upgrade to a more powerful bike before going engine mod crazy on the bike...

Although I have to say, I am really loving the FZ6R's insurance rate. I'm paying $860/year (considered very cheap here in Toronto), v.s. $1700+/yr on a 600cc supersport.

husker525

EDIT:

The cams will fit, and the stock valves should take the additional load. Make sure you clay the combustion chamber upon reassembly to be safe. The springs need to be replaced with a heavier duty design, as the profile for the R6 cams is more radical, and will stress the stock springs for the FZ6R too much, IMO.

The intake ports on the head need to be opened up, or you will be starving for the correct air/fuel mixture in the upper rpm's with stock throttle bodies.

If you change the cam profile, an aftermarket controller is a must. More than likely you will have to build your own map. I have a PCV and they were nice enough to take over my laptop remotely, and built a map for my mods and elevation in a matter of minutes. I had no idea that was even possible, but it saved me dyno time and money.

A motorcycle head is similar in design to a car head. With that being said, when it comes to porting and polishing, it is a whole different story. If you do not know exactly what you are doing, or own a flow bench, you can end up having a very poor running engine with a screwed up port job. Just be careful and patient.

rr_double_rr

GP Shift?

Anyone know of any good GP shift kits out there for the 09 FZ6-R? I just got my Raven the other day and that's in my list of first mods. I know I could Google it and probably get thousands of responses, but I'm specifically looking for first hand knowledge and not publicist buzz about their own products.

Also, a good set of no- cut frame sliders, bar end mirrors and a kit to make the factory mirror holes flush and clean, and finally a fender eliminator/ LED brake light kit?

Thanks in advance guys, and girls.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Bigevildoer

Also, a good set of no- cut frame sliders, bar end mirrors and a kit to make the factory mirror holes flush and clean, and finally a fender eliminator/ LED brake light kit?

Thanks in advance guys, and girls.
T-Rex sliders and good and easy. Rizoma makes some really sweet bar end mirrors and adapters/bar ends, Vortex R6 Mirror block off plates, lots of different FE's, and DDM Tuning HID head lights.

BigE.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

What about swapping in a complete R6 motor and tranny? It had crossed my mind, and I imagine it would be a lot of work, but you would own the most badass FZ6R ever. Also, isn't there a turbo kit for this bike?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member