Regular Unleaded vs Premium Unleaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joloy133

OK ...... but I believe the significance of the thread was about what was said, not who said it. (the part about getting along....)

Spunky99

OK ...... but I believe the significance of the thread was about what was said, not who said it. (the part about getting along....)
joloy,

I agree....

lwayne58

Type of Fuel

The manual says use regular unleaded. My dealer says use premium.

What do you guys normally use?

FZ6R-Billy

That was a great answer. No smart ass welcome to a new member and new he has all the information to make a decision.

Welcome lw.

jotapeh

Filled up on 94 at Sunoco as Regular was out. "Use Ultra 94 for Regular price" pump said. Okay, I figured, why not?

I'll be honest. It felt different. Maybe a little smoother, MAYBE. But different.

I usually fill up with Shell V-Power 91 as it is one of two gas stations in Ontario that does not use Ethanol. That's my only concern. There are no gas stations in Ontario anymore that use 87 with no Ethanol, AFAIK, otherwise I would gladly fill up with that..

jrv81

Premo here on anything I want to maximize better performance...i dont think you need more than 87 on a newer corolla or civic but my 335i(turbo), Acura truck and FZ6R are no civics. As someone stated earlier, you wouldnt catch someone on the track with their race toy running 87!! I was raised by my dad (loves V8 motors) to think that premium is there for a reason and performance oriented engines and older mileage cars can and do benefit.
Check out the findings on the test below...pretty interesting how the accord and minivan saw no benefit but actually worse performance on premo

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/f2278580f25a8574f14a6f653836b82d.pdf

If it says 87 minimum do it unless pinging occurs. Then try 93 and be honest to yourself and see if you notice a difference. If you do, then its up to you.

CDN6R

I must admit that at 1800+ KMS I did try a tank of Shell V-Power high test and honestly,the bike did work a bit better,smoother idle and throttle responce.

W

whatever

i use to run all the better gas in the ninja 250.. 91 93 etc. then i read some where you should run what the bike calls for... started running 87 in the ninja and the bike seem liked it ran better.

so been running 87 what the manual calls for..... fz6r

ry-mac75

I used Sunoco Ultra 94 all the time. It costs bugger all to fill the thing - why not use the highest octane available?

Superfly

I broke down about a month ago and tried Shell 91 Vpower. Waited till the tank was almost dry and filled up. I really really really wanted the bike to run better. It didnt. I could tell no difference at all. The engine runs hard with either 87 or 91.

The reason I tried 91 is because I read that Shell gas might actually have some special formula in their premium fuel that may increase horsepower. Increase is a word that could mean anything above 0.

Truthfully if it did increase power I couldnt tell. I'm back to regular Shell 87.:surrender:

Last edited:

rr_double_rr

I'm just jumping into the fray here, I know, and I intend to run Mid grade in mine to mitigate the benfits/ drawbacks of both, but it was my understanding that octane refers to the molecular structure of hydrocarbons in general. The carbon atoms tend to group in clusters of 8, hence OCT as a root, and the 87/91/93 ratios are just their occurance in a predetermined quantity of fuel.

wykon

Please correct me if I am wrong, it has been a few years in discussing this...

From what I recall the higher octane is needed for higher compression engines, since it is less prone to detonation. Detonation is when the mixture ignites without the spark. When does detonation occur, in regards to the engine cycle and how does this effect power/mpg?

W

whatever

ran some 93 high test yesterday, did not see any real differents going back to reg fuel .

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
W

whatever

tried some sunoco 93/94 premium and the bike runs a little better.... so now i will start running 91 or higher.

i could feel the differents. idle better and the thottle response was improved... felt that way to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.