Regular Unleaded vs Premium Unleaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yone

manual must of lied when it says 87...

all you guys running premium are wasting your cash..

i got a buddy that runs premium in EVERYTHING he owns, even his lawnmower.. He thinks because its more expensive and is called "premium" it MUST be better. People with that mentality annoy me (no offense to anyone like that on here though)

Here is a question to anyone running premium. Do you know the difference between premium and regular? I mean as in what happens inside your engine when the gas is ignited..
The manual says "86 or higher"...leading me to ascertain that 86 is the lowest, minimally acceptable, octane-rated fuel for suggested use. (It also suggests using premium if there's knocking or pinging) The higher the octane, the slower it burns. My truck manual calls for the same fuel, but I've always noticed that a tank of 92 octane will last longer than a tank of 87.

Last edited:

Top1Dog525

I guess I am going to continue use the 87 octane fuel, but since it does have the ethanol in it do you all think I should put a fuel cleaner in it every once and a while? If so, how often do you think?

FitZ6R

To me if any of the myths like getting better milage, extra detergents or whatever have a hint of truth to them....
Rather than hope for "a hint of truth," I generally stick to Top Tier brands (www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html). As far as I know, it's the only voluntary industry standard for detergent additives (endorsed by BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, VW and Audi), and it applies to all grades of gas sold by the listed retailers.

cbzdel

nc_fz6r

?

Who needs gas? I had Doc Brown install one of these:

But on the serious side... it's obvious from the manual that Yamaha is good with 87 octane and up. Since our tanks are so small, it's the difference between spending 7 dollars for a fill-up versus $7.50 (at least where I am). Go with what your wallet allows! I typically go middle of the road (premium) just cause it's only a 10 cent difference from regular unleaded. But for those of you who say she runs smoother with premium.... I bet the Yamaha engineers who actually read these forums are probably giggling to themselves cause they know the engine doesn't run any different other then slightly better gas mileage on higher octane.

But like I said.. for $.50 difference per tank... it doesn't hurt for people to have their own 'perceptions'.

Last edited:
Leaded only!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dannymac702

Lets split the difference. Go with mid-grade 89 octane and call it good!!

spacemonkey

91 all the way.

well my understanding of octane ratings is 91 burns hotter and cleaner. im not so worried about my bike since i can always get the injectors cleaned or what ever... my reasoning is with burning, burn more of the fuel thus releasing less hydro carbons into the atmosphere and protecting our one and only planet for future generations... now who can tell me how to get rid of this catalytic converter under here?

FitZ6R

my reasoning is with burning, burn more of the fuel thus releasing less hydro carbons into the atmosphere and protecting our one and only planet for future generations
If you want to be green, use 87 octane. Higher octane gasloine burns slower, not necessarily cleaner/more completely, and it requires more energy to refine (hence the higher cost).

Superfly

91 all the way.

well my understanding of octane ratings is 91 burns hotter and cleaner. im not so worried about my bike since i can always get the injectors cleaned or what ever... my reasoning is with burning, burn more of the fuel thus releasing less hydro carbons into the atmosphere and protecting our one and only planet for future generations... now who can tell me how to get rid of this catalytic converter under here?
Sir are you joking??? You say you want to protect our planet by burning 91 fuel and you are also wondering how to get rid of your catalytic converter??? I sure hope you are in fact joking but if not : 1) Your catalytic converter is the best part of the entire bike to remove/reduce harmful emissions that all combustion engines produce!!! That is the last thing someone interested in the environment should remove :eek:

Also higher octane fuel doesn't burn hotter and cleaner. It mainly burns slower and more controlled under higher cylinder pressures and temps. It will not detonate or explode like the lower octane fuels will in a higher compression ratio engine...you're not saving anything and most likely just wasting your money...unless you run your bike at high temps and under heavy loads or at high altitude and are experiencing detonation...

You need to google "catalytic convert" and "high octane fuel" and start reading...

Cheers

porky45

Sir are you joking??? You say you want to protect our planet by burning 91 fuel and you are also wondering how to get rid of your catalytic converter??? I sure hope you are in fact joking but if not : 1) Your catalytic converter is the best part of the entire bike to remove/reduce harmful emissions that all combustion engines produce!!! That is the last thing someone interested in the environment should remove :eek:

Also higher octane fuel doesn't burn hotter and cleaner. It mainly burns slower and more controlled under higher cylinder pressures and temps. It will not detonate or explode like the lower octane fuels will in a higher compression ratio engine...you're not saving anything and most likely just wasting your money...unless you run your bike at high temps and under heavy loads or at high altitude and are experiencing detonation...

You need to google "catalytic convert" and "high octane fuel" and start reading...

Cheers
I'm pretty sure he was kidding. The lack of a smiley face really hurts the sarcasm

flyingminno

higher octane = more power is a huge myth, unless your bike is detonating (pinging) or you have increased the compression ratio, you are wasting your money

sorry, if you think it's making more power it's your imagination

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do agree with you, it does not increase power, but it does operate smoother. Sorry to point out the obvious, but its wikipedia, anyone can add to or change the info...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

clifford_05

I use premium

Status
Not open for further replies.