Regular Unleaded vs Premium Unleaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma_jg

my dealer also told me to use premium and not regular.
maybe they have shares in the fuel companies...just kidding

Last edited:

kma_jg

I sure enjoyed reading some of these pissing matches... great entertainment, thanks guys

I don't know why it is the case, but from my owners manual (2010, got the bike today) it states:
"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 91 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel"

In some quotes from older posts, the manual stated to use 87 or something else.
Could it be different because the technology got better in the engine or the fuel manufacturing process? I'm no engineer or scientist, but I'm gob smacked by how many different statements yamaha can make in their manuals.

My dealer told me to use premium and the manual says something different.... who do you believe....your own experience on the way your bike rides. IMHO

FitZ6R

my dealer also told me to use premium and not regular.
maybe they have shares in the fuel companies...just kidding
I think they say it just so it sounds like they know something. Personally, I'll trust the guys who actually designed and built the bike.

FitZ6R

That was a great answer. No smart ass welcome to a new member and new he has all the information to make a decision.
My smartass answer was going to be: "gasoline". But I won't say it. :)

Welcome, lwayne.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Just a quick note regarding the Power Commander V.
The manual states unleaded fuel and 91 octane or higher only.

Doesn't matter what the Yamaha manual says anymore for me.

I'll let you all debate why the PC V would require 91 octane or higher.
I have no interest in debating a moot point as this horse is long dead.

Spunky99

ya I pop off in the cage all the time..on the bike it doesn't matter.:p

Stephenfz6r

I have used both and they work fine, I could not feel the difference.

:popcorn:

Roaddawg

I think they say it just so it sounds like they know something. Personally, I'll trust the guys who actually designed and built the bike.
I trust the manual too...My dealer sold me the bike and gave me "Free Tires for Life"...then they went out of business 6 months later! :mad:

Spunky99

He deleted his post so it is out of context.....it was the difference between petrol and gas....English people pop off instead of fart....

Anyone tried putting some of that COX model airplane fuel in with the gasoline yet?
I did it on a Honda Express before. Those things only went 25 mph and I added a pint to the tank and I got it up to 37 mph on the way to school before it seized....:eek:

Roaddawg

He deleted his post so it is out of context.....it was the difference between petrol and gas....English people pop off instead of fart....

Anyone tried putting some of that COX model airplane fuel in with the gasoline yet?
I did it on a Honda Express before. Those things only went 25 mph and I added a pint to the tank and I got it up to 37 mph on the way to school before it seized....:eek:
I was just about to go try it until you said "seized"! :D:justkidding:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

flyingminno

Just put in a couple gallons of racing fuel today, it was too tempting to pass up if only just to try it once in the 6R. 100 octane and so far the throttle response is noticeably quicker, but no drastic power increase as far as I can tell.

A1A

I'm stuck using 86 here in New Mexico West Texas because you can't get 87.
Just my thoughts but if the engine doesn't ping using the 86 octane at your altitude. I'd be comfortable with using the 86 octane ratio.
If I detected any pinging what so ever, I'd switch to the mid grade fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.