Regular Unleaded vs Premium Unleaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkkornkid

I only use Shell in all my vehicles. It's the only Top Tier fuel available around me. A few Texacos, but Shells are everywhere.

Newmason

Nothing is more redneck than PBR..... BARF

Superfly

I love how people can feel the "power" when they run higher octane fuel. Or avgas for that matter...Say you could get 5hp more for your troubles (which is pretty much not going to happen)...On a full throttle run from 0 to 60mph you might improve your time by what .1sec, maybe .2 sec? You think you can feel that?

I might believe you if you show me a Dyno print out. Otherwise its gonna have to be 87 for me:rolleyes:

If yamaha wanted you to run 91 they would have just said "premium preferred"...like my car says..."run premium and if you cant find it use 87 but limit the amount you put in the tank and fill with 91 when you can"...simple:thumbup:

Spunky99

Spunky99

I love how people can feel the "power" when they run higher octane fuel. Or avgas for that matter...Say you could get 5hp more for your troubles (which is pretty much not going to happen)...On a full throttle run from 0 to 60mph you might improve your time by what .1sec, maybe .2 sec? You think you can feel that?

I might believe you if you show me a Dyno print out. Otherwise its gonna have to be 87 for me:rolleyes:

If yamaha wanted you to run 91 they would have just said "premium preferred"...like my car says..."run premium and if you cant find it use 87 but limit the amount you put in the tank and fill with 91 when you can"...simple:thumbup:
I read this and could see that you carefully extracted parts of my post to suit your opinion. It is called taking quotes out of context and is disingenuous at best :rolleyes:
What you left out was that I was riding a true blue 180 mph, 1976 FACTORY Honda race bike and not a stock bike by any stretch of the word......
So I ask you to use your astute powers of observation and answer this one question without grousing around. Since I was referring to a race bike, what fuel do the factory race teams use in their race bikes?

If it is 87 octane regular gasoline then I conceed....

Last edited:

Superfly

As a side interest to this thread...and because it has been mentioned already, what brand of gas do you run?
For me # is Shell Premium and #2 for now is 76 Union Premium.

Anyone have other preferences and why?

I find I get the most HP with Shell 91 in any vehicle.

I stay away from Arco and Vallejo.
John, not to get into a pi$$ing match with you but you did say you found you got the most HP from Shell 91 in any vehicle...

Spunky99

John, not to get into a pi$$ing match with you but you did say you found you got the most HP from Shell 91 in any vehicle...
Then you should have said that to begin with! but you didn't......You mixed 2 posts together.

you said "I love how people can feel the "power" when they run higher octane fuel. Or avgas for that matter.."
I think everyone here can see that you are now grousing and refuse to admit that you quoted completely out of context and now are attempting a limp wristed defense. You are mixing 2 separate posts together and quoting out of context.

This isn't a pi$$ing contest because you already pi$$ed straight into the wind and it's all over you.

When quoting someone, you DO NOT have the right to cherry pick from multiple posts and mix and match and them and then defend your actions as you have.

I took the opprotunity to repost my complete first post below and no where in it does it have Shell or 91 octane and HP in the same sentence. But it does have Avgas referenced with more HP......the second post does say Shell 91 octane and HP but it doesn't have the word Avgas. You mixed them up in a blender to make your agenda. Nice going there Pal. That is what this is all about, not that you disagree with me on whether Shell 91 is better or not. That is certainly debatable and I think a dyno test as you suggested is probably a sound way to tell if what I "think" I feel is real or imagined. The problem is that you mixed 2 different posts together out of context in an attempt to malign another person. That is a chicken s$it in my book.

I think it is fair to say that we choose to disagree. Leave it at that!

1st post
Not to start an argument here with you as you have quoted from the manual and you are correct but.......
the manual adds this disclaimer in your quote "If
knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a
gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. "
Now why would they do that?
Like saying your tires are rated for 120 miles per hour but should they shred on you at that speed, you might want to change them to a higher speed rated tire. It does not make sense.

From my experience with cars and motorcycles, airplanes and helicopter engines of both 2 and 4 stroke versions, my rule of thumb is fairly simple. If the engine is low compression, regular 87 octane is fine but if the engine is high compression, you might need a higher octane rating. Octane means slow burning in Latin. I know Wiki says it is the resistance to autoignition but if you think about it, the higher compressed a fuel air mixture is, the more explosive it is. If it burns too quickly, you get a ping. So they make the fuel burn slower and the higher compression won't cause the ping.
This is old school stuff from the days of my youth and the terms seem to be getting revised so as to not make sense anymore. In a way the explanation makes sense that octane is the resistance to autoignition but how the heck does that happen? It burns slower...that's how. Wiki doesn't even source the word octane to it's Latin root. Neither do a lot of other sites.

So in a nutshell...9.5 to 1 compression and lower is my cutoff point for using 87 octane gasoline. When I go above that and especially above 12 to 1, I usually toss in the 91 octane gasoline. It does depend on other factors as to which octane rating to use such as bore and stroke and the normal operating temp of the engine.
The 2009 and 2010 compression ratio is 12.2 to 1 on the FZ6F and that is borderline IMHO.
FZ1 is 11.5 to 1
YZF-R1 is 12.7 to 1
YZF-R6 is 13.1 to 1

So you can see the same motor with different compression ratios for different models.

Back in the old days I used to go to Long Beach Airport and fill my street legal 1976 Honda factory road racer with 130 octane aviation gas and it loved it. Lots more HP and smoother acceleration. They only have 100ll now.
I don't know if anyone can feel the difference in their bikes between 87 and 91 octane but 87 to 130 was easy to feel.
Since the bike gets 35 to 40 mpg, I toss in the 91 octane FWIW.
2nd post
As a side interest to this thread...and because it has been mentioned already, what brand of gas do you run?
For me # is Shell Premium and #2 for now is 76 Union Premium.

Anyone have other preferences and why?

I find I get the most HP with Shell 91 in any vehicle.

I stay away from Arco and Vallejo.

micigniter

premium only. first two weeks i had bike ran regular. filleld up with premium after a whim and it idles MUCH throatier and healthier on the good stuff. It just combusts properly. Now i dont know if it improves performance but one thing is for sure, the engine is happier with the premium. And why quam with a 9 dollar fill up anyway?

Superfly

Then you should have said that to begin with! but you didn't......You mixed 2 posts together.

I think everyone here can see that you are now grousing and refuse to admit that you quoted completely out of context and now are attempting a limp wristed defense. You are mixing 2 separate posts together and quoting out of context.

This isn't a pi$$ing contest because you already pi$$ed straight into the wind and it's all over you.

When quoting someone, you DO NOT have the right to cherry pick from multiple posts and mix and match and them and then defend your actions as you have.

I took the opprotunity to repost my complete first post below and no where in it does it have Shell or 91 octane and HP in the same sentence. But it does have Avgas referenced with more HP......the second post does say Shell 91 octane and HP but it doesn't have the word Avgas. You mixed them up in a blender to make your agenda. Nice going there Pal. That is what this is all about, not that you disagree with me on whether Shell 91 is better or not. That is certainly debatable and I think a dyno test as you suggested is probably a sound way to tell if what I "think" I feel is real or imagined. The problem is that you mixed 2 different posts together out of context in an attempt to malign another person. That is a chicken s$it in my book.

I think it is fair to say that we choose to disagree. Leave it at that!

1st post

2nd post
I never mixed any quotes or posts together. And I never quoted you in my first post. You took it as an attack on you.

I simply stated that I thought it was funny that riders can determine (with their ass) a horsepower gain from various grades of fuel.

I stand by my arguement that it would be pretty much all in your head these HP gains. Unless your engine is detonating or retarding the timing on low octane fuel, (giving you a reduction in performance), then I'm not seeing where you'd be getting more horsepower from running high octane fuel in an engine thats tuned for low octane.

Show me on the dyno and I'll go fill up with shell 91...or even sunoco 94?!

Spunky99

I never mixed any quotes or posts together.
Ya sure.....
The moon is made of limburger cheese and my FZ6R will go like one trillion MPH on avgas too....LOL

You have been weighed and measured and found wanting.

Last edited:

Roaddawg

:hug: "Can't we all just get along?" :hug:

I like to quote Rodney King when people get their panties all up in a bunch... :beer:

Verranth

Wow...can we get back to the topic on hand please?

As for me, 87 = no pings so far...

Should pinging occur, I suppose I will try a different station, and then fork over a few more cents for the next grade. Why spend any more than you have to?

(geez...i am starting to sound like all the accountants i know...i should probably dump my gf then... lol ) <---what a cheapskate!

Spunky99

:hug: "Can't we all just get along?" :hug:

I like to quote Rodney King when people get their panties all up in a bunch... :beer:
Tell that to Reginald Denny, I'm sure he will appreciate it.:eek:

Spunky99

How far back into history are you willing to go..........seriously!!!!!!!!!
Roaddawg went back there.....I just replied....seriously!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.