Rear feels like it's sliding/slipping

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

danieljardim

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I might feel like the rear is sliding from under me? It only happens in corners, but I definitely feel like the rear tire is sliding out from under me a lot of times. It's not happening going straight, and these are not very hard corners that I'm taking just normal street turns.
Tires are worn maybe?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Never had that feeling unless they actually WERE slipping out from under me...

Saxon237

is it possible that it could be something to do with the rear spring, preload not set right? (sorry, I'm a newb!)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Is your chain proper tension?

Brock Kickass

Check your tire pressure. Even a very low tire will look almost normal when the bike is on a kickstand, and when else do you get to look at your own bike? A low tire will make the rear feel loose and mushy.
Besides that, when does it feel like it's slipping? On turn in? Accelerating out? Only on brakes? Only on throttle? Both? Only when you first grab the throttle mid-turn? Answering these questions can narrow it down for you.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Saxon237

yeah you have to watch pressures. I have a friend that got back into riding after over a decade off...bought a bike (08 CB600RR) and had lots of issues with it, including going over the handlebars. A lot of it was rust, I'm sure, but also he never checked the pressures. When he did...front was at 4psi, back was 0psi.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BKP

I had the same issue, *right* after picking up my bike... Rear tire was slipping on light turns -- I attributed it to the slick on new tires, til I got back (30+ mile drive from the dealer), and checked the pressure.

... down 8 lbs. in *each* tire from where they should have been... nothing like dealer prep...

... pumped 'em up and they stick like glue, now...

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Detrich

45f & 48r ???!!! was that cold or hot? if those are cold temps, then they are waaaay over-inflated for street riding. i think max inflation specs are 36f & 42r measured cold... o_O

for normal, everyday riding it will go up a few psi from road temps... so, even at 36f & 42r measured cold, u are still technically, on the high (over-inflated) side, because once you've been riding around they will get to like 39f, 45r hot...

unless you weigh over 200+ lbs or are carrying a passenger every time, there should be no reason you should be inflating the tires that high, imo... it will lead to premature wear and not grip as well...

do this...

wait til your tires are cold- ie measure the inflation -before- you ride in the am after the bike has sat idle overnight. front should be around 33 psi, rear should be around 36 psi. this is a "starting point." adjust the psi depending on your weight and how much cargo you are carrying and the type of riding you are doing... for straight on freeway commuting u can inflate a little bit extra- like 34/35f & 37/38r psi cold- to get better mileage. but, don't go nuts.

your bike will love u oh so much better... :)

Last edited:

surfcycle

Nismos - you've got me thinking tire pressure.

I am loaded up at about 195# when geared up with backpack etc.... I keep my front at 35, rear at 40. I have no idea if that is appropriate but just going by the manual. I have noticed it is a different handling bike when under-inflated (as you say, slippery). Not sure though how over-inflated feels.

But at 35/40 I wonder if I might need a bit more pressure...tires are stock with 4,000 easy city miles but I hate the thought of the inadvertent 'drift'!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

You most certainly can have traction issues from over inflation -- 'specially if they're over inflated as much as you say... From Honda-Tech:

"An over-inflated tire can bounce on surface roughnesses. This can cause dangerous interruptions in traction, particularly if it happens during cornering."

"...decreased traction on marginal surfaces, unpredictable responces during suspension upsets, excessive rebound as the tire bounces over bumps as opposed to absorbing the shock, and yes - given enough time, predictable wear (tire compound sensitive)..."

Some feel over-inflating saves on gas due to reduced traction patch, and lower friction... That's fine in a four-wheeled vehicle... different story on our little ponies...

As Detrich said: 33 and 36, front and back, respectively, unless you're carrying a passenger or a howitzer...

surfcycle

You most certainly can have traction issues from over inflation -- 'specially if they're over inflated as much as you say... From Honda-Tech:

"An over-inflated tire can bounce on surface roughnesses. This can cause dangerous interruptions in traction, particularly if it happens during cornering."

"...decreased traction on marginal surfaces, unpredictable responces during suspension upsets, excessive rebound as the tire bounces over bumps as opposed to absorbing the shock, and yes - given enough time, predictable wear (tire compound sensitive)..."

Some feel over-inflating saves on gas due to reduced traction patch, and lower friction... That's fine in a four-wheeled vehicle... different story on our little ponies...

As Detrich said: 33 and 36, front and back, respectively, unless you're carrying a passenger or a howitzer...
I am going to bleed mine down to 33/36 first thing in the morning!