Oil Thread: The Answer All

lwclancers

I am mildly slow, and ive been reading threads all afternoon, an AMSOIL is telling me this with their selector search...is this what people are getting? It's 10w-40...seems to be a mix on here whether to get 10w-40 or 20w-50

AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

lwclancers

Id settle for the Mobil 1 10w-40 4T Synthetic as well...but id like someone who knows more about this than me to post a link ;)

PS, amazon has the K&N filter for $10.15 which seems to be a good deal.

bobski

Anyone using or recommending Maxima? I have a local shop recommending Maximum4 100% synthetic with a HiFlo filter?

linkgt

I am mildly slow, and ive been reading threads all afternoon, an AMSOIL is telling me this with their selector search...is this what people are getting? It's 10w-40...seems to be a mix on here whether to get 10w-40 or 20w-50

AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

The general consensus here is to stick with 10w-40 once fall comes by or whenever temperatures drop. 20w-50 when spring/summer comes by/ outside temperatures go up. I switched from 15w-50 to 10w-40 last week since temperatures are starting to drop and i needed an oil change anyway.

Nick89

Did you guys know you can buy 2 million dollars worth of Amsoil on there website? I loled

Attachments

Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Did you guys know you can buy 2 million dollars worth of Amsoil on there website? I loled
yeah I did that last week, except I made the purchase....My bike is fast...I heard the more oil you put in it the faster it goes. I built a direct funnel so its constantly full....the 55 gallon drum I tow behind has a very minimal effect on the bike and its speed though. I still go about 300mph, just fast enough where I need to take my flip flops off and put sneakers on.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

better a/f ratio right?

rjohnson5481

yeah I did that last week, except I made the purchase....My bike is fast...I heard the more oil you put in it the faster it goes. I built a direct funnel so its constantly full....the 55 gallon drum I tow behind has a very minimal effect on the bike and its speed though. I still go about 300mph, just fast enough where I need to take my flip flops off and put sneakers on.
Can't do that shit with out a modded subframe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mische42

I didnt read through everything, but I have done a TON of research on this myself as well. I have used exclusively the Rotella T 5W-40 full synthetic as the culmination of my research. The shearing protection was one of the biggest selling points, and the fact that it is one of teh very few oils that carry Japans oil rating created specifically for motorcycles "JASO-MA" You can find that in the grading are on the back of the bottle where you find all of the other oil grades. Also convieneint because I use the same oil in my diesel truck!

mische42

By the way JASO stand for "Japanese Automotive Standards Organization" and they are the only ones that found in my research that created a grade specifically for motorcycle use.

All that said, the big thing is not to use oils with anti-friction additives that are found primarily in high efficiency oils. not only can these cause clutch slippage issues, but these addtives contain long molecular strings that break down quickly in a motorcycle transmissions.

mische42

Ok, one final quick thought on this as I finish my oil rant....(hadnt thought about this for a while)...I didnt see in any other posts: There is always the discussion of variable viscosity (weight) oils (10w40, 20w50, etc) A quick reminder on what they actually mean. The higher the number the thicker the oil and the more resistant to heat. Variable weight oil maintains a different viscosity based on its temperature. The first number is the viscosity when cold and the second when hot. So, if you take a 20 w 50, it is already at 20 weight even when cold so not ideal for cold weather as it is already thick to begin with. Hence the argument for lighter wieght in the winter and heavier in summer. If you go with a 5w40 you have teh best of all worlds. the light weight 5 when its cold allows for quick dispertion in the engine on startup no matter the temperature outside. Once its hot you have the equivalent of 40 wieght oil which unless you are a hard core racer will always be adaqute.

BOTTOM LINE: IMHO 5w40 is the way to go, and Shell has the only Japanese rated motorcycle oil in a full synthetic 5w40.

Hope the three post rant helps someone out there!!! Safe riding!!!

JSP

Super Moderator
Any motorcycle rated oil in the correct weight per the manufacturer is fine as long as you change it on time. :thumbup:

mische42

Any motorcycle rated oil in the correct weight per the manufacturer is fine as long as you change it on time. :thumbup:
Ain't that the truth!