Oil Thread: The Answer All

CrazyCawi

Okay so here is the deal, there are TONS of threads of different questions about which oil this, which oil that. Well I am going to clarify and clean this subject up as best as possible by providing every bit of factual information our there, which will allow YOU to make the best educated descision on which product you wish to run in your Fizzer. This is going to be completely unbiased and run through every Major oil brand which most use. I will give all of their positive findings and their claims, along with any negatives that I can find. This will be a progressive thread so bare with me as I provide the information.

OUR BIKE PER YAMAHA SPEC TAKES 2.9 QUARTS EXACT

Lets start this off with Yamalube, they have three types of oil. Conventional, Synthetic blend, and complete synthetic. Well Yamaha, contrary to popular belief, doesnt produce their own oils. This product is actually made by Torco-USA in collaboration with CITGO. When you purchase Yamalube oil you are getting a grade of oil that was race designed and engineered for the track.

Yamalube conventional:
Torco T-4 oil: T-4 is a highly refined petroleum blend lubricant designed specifically for motorcycle and ATV engines. It utilizes an exclusive blend of additives and polymer systems that resist high shock loads, high temperatures, shearing and eliminates deposits.

Benefits:
- Premium grade petroleum formula
- Excellent thermal and shear stability
- Non-friction modified formula
- Provides smooth, positive clutch activation
- Excellent anti-wear and deposit free performance
Torco-USA cost:
T-4 20w50
$8.00 per 1 Quart bottle(Yamaha Charges $9.49 per QT here)

View attachment 21292

The Semi-Synth Blend
Torco T-4R 4-Stroke Motor Oil is a blend of specially selected synthetic and petroleum base oils designed for high output and high temperature motorcycle engines. Provides smooth, positive clutch engagement, maximum engine protection and extreme pressure protection for integrated transmissions.

Benefits:
- Synthetic blend technology
- Improves ring seal
- Superior anti-wear and deposit free performance

Torco-USA cost:
T-4r 20w50
$11.85 per 1 Quart bottle(Yamaha Charges 12.50 per Qt here)

View attachment 21293

Fully Synthetic:
T-4SR is a 100% synthetic oil designed for highly stressed 4-stroke racing engines. T-4SR offers the ultimate in viscosity control, anti-friction, anti-wear and improved power output. It is formulated to reduce engine temperatures and provide the highest degree of protection under the most severe temperature and load conditions. A selective additive system and polymer chemistry also provides anti-oxidation, anti-foam, anti-rust and consistent clutch engagement for motorcycles with integrated transmissions. T-4SR offers the best protection for engines running at consistently high RPM, high temperatures and under extreme loads or endurance type conditions.
Benfits:
- 100% advanced synthetic technology
- Formulated for wet clutches
- Protects under the most severe temperatures
- Highest anti-wear and deposit free performance

Torco-Usa Cost:
T-4sr 20w50
$16.65 per 1Quart bottle(Yamaha Charges $17.86 Per Qt Here)

View attachment 21294

Torco Does NOT provide In depth Spec sheets on their product line

Amsoil 20-50W​

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil (MCV) is a premium oil designed for those who demand the absolute best lubrication for their motorcycles. AMSOIL MCV is the result of extensive research, and it is specially formulated to excel in all areas unique to motorcycles, including high temperatures of air-cooled engines such as Harley Davidson® V-Twin, wet clutch lubrication, extreme pressure regions of gears and chains and rust common to short trips and storage.

AMSOIL MCV is multi-functional and fulfills the requirements of both domestic and foreign motorcycles. It outperforms other conventional and synthetic motorcycle oil.

AMSOIL, the leader in synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your motorcycle.

Reduces Friction, Heat and Wear
In high heat conditions, engine protection is not sacrificed with AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It has exceptional high-temperature film strength and contains a heavy treatment of anti-wear additives to reduce wear regardless of the
operating conditions.

AMSOIL 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is thermally (heat) stable and contains maximum levels of oxidation inhibitor additives. It is extremely resistant to breakdown and engineered to prevent damaging sludge and
carbon deposits for superior engine cleanliness.

Provides Extreme Pressure Quality Protection for Gears and ChainsWith AMSOIL MCV, there is no need for separate transmission or primary chaincase lubricants. It is absolutely shear stable and will not thin out from mechanical activity. AMSOIL MCV performs like a gear lube without the negative effects of extreme pressure additives. In the FZG gear test, AMSOIL MCV achieved a perfect score with a “zero” wear rating (see photo below).

Pass Example: AMSOIL MCV
Passed Stage 13, Total Wear 0 mm

View attachment 21295

Failure Example: Lucas High Performance
Passed Stage 11, Failed Stage 12,
Total Wear in Stage 12, 160 mm

View attachment 21296

Delivers Superior Rust Protection
Motorcycles are prone to rust from storage, humidity and short drives. Rust can cause major damage such as roller bearing failure, uncontrolled wear, compression loss and blow-by. Good rust protection, however, comes by design and is not natural to engine oils. Unlike many motorcycle oils, AMSOIL MCV contains special anti-rust agents. It passes the ASTM D-1748 humidity cabinet rust test and clearly demonstrates superior rust protection (see photos below).

Pass Example:
AMSOIL MCV

View attachment 21297

View attachment 21298

Fail Example:
Castrol V-Twin

View attachment 21299

View attachment 21300

Provides Excellent Wet Clutch PerformanceAMSOIL MCV contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCV controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, and its high TBN resists acids that can degrade clutch material, helping improve clutch life.

View attachment 21301

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for air or liquid cooled 4-stroke engines. It meets SAE 90, API GL-1 gear oil requirements and is recommended for transmissions and primary chaincases. AMSOIL MCV is recommended for Harley Davidson®, YAMAHA®, KTM, Ducati®, Aprilia®, BMW®, Triumph® and other motorcycles where 15W-50 or 20W-50 engine oils or SAE 90, GL-1 gear oils are used.

MIXING AMSOIL
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils; however, mixing oils may shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motorcycle oil.

SERVICE LIFE
Recommended for use up to twice the motorcycle manufacturer change interval (miles/hours) or one year, whichever comes first, in engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. For Big Twin Harley-Davidson transmissions only, follow the Harley-Davidson recommended drain interval for synthetic oil of up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. When using an engine filter other than AMSOIL Ea, change the filter at standard intervals.

AMSOIL SPEC SHEET AND FULL COMPARISON

Lucas High Performance Motorcycle Oils
Lucas High Performance Motorcycle Oils are the result of technology gained through years of blending motor oils and gear oils for the racing industry. These are TRUE racing oils that FAR exceed all manufacturer specifications and can outlast other oils up to 4 times on the track or on the street.

Synthetic SAE 20W-50
Proven to cool and quiet engines and gear boxes. Use in ALL air-cooled and water-cooled 4-stroke Engine, Primaries, and Transmissions that call for SAE 20W-50 motor oil.

Key Benefits
•Lower oil temperatures
•Longer oil life
•Longer component life
•Less noise, fewer leaks
•Meets or exceeds: API SG / SF / CC / CD, JASO MA & JASO MA-2, ACEA A3

Lucas 20-50w 1 QT oil
$13.54-16.69 Each Depending on Where its purchased

ON A SIDE NOTE: TROY LEE DESIGNS MAKES THEIR PRODUCT LABELING!

troy lee designs product page

LUCAS OIL 20-50W SPEC SHEET PDF

"Testimonial"
Kevin Mckay uses Lucas High Performance Motorcycle Oils in 2000 Harley Softtail
Just going to let you know That I have a 2000 Harley softtail and love the 20-50 oil for bikes. Me and My wife love to take long road trips and now I dont have to stop and have service done every 2500 miles. We have 125,000 on her and she ant see any other oil but Lucas. And the Harley Dealership in Dallas,tx cant Believe the miles. I am going for 200,000 we use the 20-50 in all 3 oil cavities . just wanted to say : THANKS FOR THE OIL .

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

ROAL PURPLE MOTORCYCLE OIL

Break In OIL
View attachment 21366
Engine builders have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue by developing a new engine break-in oil. Royal Purple Break-in Oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valve train from initial start up wear. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines. Royal Purple Break-in Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.

MAX CYCLE
View attachment 21367
Max-Cycle provides unparalleled film strength when compared to the leading synthetic and mineral oils. Its shear stability and oxidation resistance promote greater performance and protection. Formulated with select synthetic base oils and Royal Purple’s proprietary Synerlec additive technology, Max-Cycle greatly reduces engine wear — including ring, cylinder and bearing wear. It continuously adheres to metal surfaces, even after shutdown, to provide instant protection at startup until a full fluid film can be established. Max-Cycle exceeds API / JASO new warranty requirements and is compatible with other mineral and synthetic motor oils. No flushing is necessary prior to use. It’s available in 10W30, 10W40 and 20W50 viscosities.

Benefits:
•Max-Cycle is specifically formulated to significantly improve motorcycle engine (and transmission) performance
•Its recommended for use in both air-cooled and liquid-cooled 4-cycle engines and its compatible with wet-clutch transmissions
•Formulated with select synthetic base oils and Synerlec additive technology, provides unparalleled film strength that is up to 400 percent stronger than the leading synthetic and mineral oil
•Its shear stability and oxidation resistance promote greater performance and protection
•Synerlec greatly reduces engine wear, including ring, cylinder and bearing wear
•It continuously adheres to metal surfaces, even after shutdown, to provide instant protection at startup until a full fluid film can be established
•Exceeds API / JASO new warranty requirements and is compatible with other mineral and synthetic motor oils
•No flushing is necessary prior to use

SPECS
•Container Size: 1 Quart
•Type: 4-Cycle
•Units: Each
•Package Weight: 20W50

Pricing:
Royal Purple Max Cycle Engine and Multi-Purpose Oil 20W50
Your Price: $16.99Per Qt

Thermal Profile of Cylinder Heads-Royal Purple Specs

CASTROL MOTORCYCLE OIL

CASTROL POWER RS RACING 4T
View attachment 21368

CASTROL POWER RS RACING — Ultimate Power & Performance
Castrol Power RS Racing with Trizone Technology is a full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil designed to ensure maximum power and performance, even under the most demanding riding conditions. Its anti-friction formulation is proven to increase acceleration compared to conventional motorcycle oils.

View attachment 21369

BENEFITS
■Full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil
■Race derived technology for maximum engine acceleration
■Extreme high temperature air-cooled and water-cooled engine performance
■Excellent shear stability to prevent viscosity breakdown
SPECIFICATIONS
■API SERVICE: Exceeds API SL
■JASO (T903): JASO MA-2
■VISCOSITY: SAE 5W-40 // 10W-40 // 10W-50

COST: $10.50 Per QT

CASTROL ACTEVO X-TRA — X-tra Protection for Your Engine
View attachment 21370

Castrol Actevo X- tra with Trizone Technology is a part-synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil specially formulated with Heat Protection Molecules to protect your bike’s engine against high temperature deposits and wear. These advanced molecules combat and minimize the formation of harmful high temperature combustion deposits which start to occur when your bike is working hard - on the open road or in dense city traffic.

BENEFITS
■Part synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil
■Outstanding high temperature air-cooled engine performance for hard working bikes
■Superior high temperature oil consumption and oxidation control

COST $6.66 PER QT

CASTROL 4T — Durable Protection
Castrol 4T is a mineral based 4-stroke motorcycle oil specially formulated to provide outstanding, durable protection under severe high torque, high stress conditions. Under these conditions, motorcycle engines operate at extremely high temperatures causing viscosity and thermal breakdown of motor oil. Castrol 4T provides maximum protection against viscosity and thermal breakdown.

BENEFITS
■Mineral based 4-stroke motorcycle oil
■Delivers superior engine wear protection and high film strength for high revving motorcycle engines
■Specialized additives help prevent ring sticking and build-up of harmful deposits

SPECIFICATIONS ■API SERVICE: Exceeds API SG
■JASO (T903): JASO MA-2
■VISCOSITY: SAE 10W-40 // 20W-50

SPECIFICATIONS
•API SERVICE: Exceeds API SG
•JASO (T903): JASO MA-2
•VISCOSITY: SAE 10W-30 // 10W-40 // 20W-40 // 20W-50

Cost: $3.98 per QT here

CASTROL DATA SHEETS

VALVOLINE OIL

View attachment 21371

Valvoline® Specialty Racing Oil ("Not Street Legal")
The low-detergent, high zinc racing oil optimized for track-use only, delivers increased horspower and extreme wear protection

BENEFITS
•High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
•Low detergent formula to deliver maximum horsepower on the track
•Recommended for race engines only
•Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
•Available by request through NAPA, Carquest, O'Reilly, Jeg's and performance shops served by Keystone Automotive

COST:$10.74 per QT

RACING OIL SPECS

They have other models of their products but unlisted specifically to 20-50W oil which is recommended by the manual, if you choose to persue any other oils by this brand heed with your OWN caution

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Shell rotella t6 synthetic​

title.jpg

Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic oil features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions. Use of selected low-viscosity synthetic base oils further energizes the oil’s protective capability that promotes fuel-economy performance with no compromise in durability. Shell Rotella® T6 can contribute in many ways:
• Extended-drain capable
• Energy saving – fuel-economy performance*
• Excellent engine cleanliness and wear protection
• Excellent extreme high/low-temperature protection
• Improved low-temperature flow*

Shell Rotella® T6 builds on our commitment to providing innovative solutions to meet the technical and operational needs of your equipment.
*Compared with Shell Rotella® T Triple Protection® SAE 15W-40 engine oil.

View attachment 21373

PROTECTION AGAINST WEAR
Shell Rotella® T6 delivers 34% better wear performance on average compared to the previous API CI-4 PLUS 5W-40 formulation. In seven out of seven industry-standard, diesel-engine wear test measurements, Shell Rotella® T6 outperformed the previous formulation.

saps.jpg

LOW EMISSIONS
Protecting the performance of your exhaust-emissions control systems is not only important for your vehicles to comply with legislative requirements, but also to promote efficient operations. For instance, blocked diesel particulate filters (DPF) can actually increase fuel consumption. Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies. Meeting the ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4, Shell Rotella® T6 has been tested and proven to protect your vehicle.

View attachment 21374

IMPROVED HIGH/LOW-TEMPERATURE PROTECTION
Shell Rotella® T6 provides extra protection against breakdown by heat and offers up to 70% better oxidation resistance, compared to conventional Shell Rotella® T3 15W-40 API CJ-4 oil. Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides excellent low-temperature flow, even at -30ºF.

View attachment 21376

MAINTENANCE SAVINGS
At lower temperatures, using Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 can help your engine start more easily than using a 15W-40 viscosity- grade product. Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 can help protect the durability of the starter and battery in harsh winter climates.

UNSURPASSED SHEAR STABILITY
Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides unsurpassed protection against shear-stability degradation, compared to the leading competitive API CJ-4 5W-40 products. An extremely shear-stable product helps maintain consistent viscosity and oil pressure in the engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Reserve for more info number 3

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Sage

I would think that would be a good one for it to be placed Diluted since it just gives you the run down on oil to help you choose, not a how-to change the stuff.

CrazyCawi

There is alot more info to be added guys there's alot of bogus stuff to sort through. I'll finish tonight :)

Thanks for the sticky! I wasn't sure which subforum to put it in due to it not being a how to! Lol thanks again diluted!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Hellgate

Yet ANOTHER oil thread!!! wOOOt!!!

Personally...I like olive oil, it smells like an Italian kitchen when it warms up. :D

herbie

:canada:racing oil is just that ,made for a couple runs.but look at the api ratings on the oil bottles your dealers try to sell you either api or jaso (my dealer sells 20-50 suzuki oil api sl/ regular auto spec with a motorcycle picture) and when i told them im looking for rotella t6 syn because its jaso ma certified he looked at me funny and asked me what that means so i said its ok for bikes and laughed

CrazyCawi

I regret to inform you that my brain is fried this time of the evening (somewhat alchohol induced from the family get together) and I want this post to be of my highest quality...SOOOOOOO Tomorrow I will be finishing! Thanks for bearing with me ya'll

CrazyCawi

updated....MORE TO COME

CrazyCawi

there are alot of new people to the forum so I am going to bring this one back to the top for em ;)

CrazyCawi

Bump to the top

Sirnice

So which oil is best for our bike?
10-40, 5-30, 20-50?

and which brand do you guys use or recommend using?

I'm about to do my first oil change in a week or 2.

CrazyCawi

Well you decide. Most oils are goodour bike calls for 20-50 but you can use any weight you want really depending on your riding situation. I use amsoil myself 20w-50

currently trying out lucas 20w-50

Sirnice

Does this make sense? I should use 20w-50 for hot weather (spring, summer) and 10w-40 for colder (Fall, Winter)?

Well you decide. Most oils are goodour bike calls for 20-50 but you can use any weight you want really depending on your riding situation. I use amsoil myself 20w-50

currently trying out lucas 20w-50

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member