Nolan N43 Trilogy -any thoughts?

bobski

Looking at new helmets and the Nolan N43 Trilogy (Voyage 2012) caught my eye. I like the full face - 3/4 conversion option for different riding situations. Anyone used one of these? Any comments on noise levels and wind buffetting/stability at highway speed?

bobski

I had a closer look at the N43 today and tried it on. Decided it's not for me. The removable chin bar just seemed less than sturdy enough and the odd 'creaking' that the helmet makes when being handled just seemed very odd and i was uncomfortable with the flexible feeling that the shell seemed to have. Soooo . . now I'm considering the HJC SyMax 3. Seems hard to find bad comments about the latest SyMax model in all the online reviews. Anyone sporting one of those lids and care to offer comments???

Wheelsucker

I had a closer look at the N43 today and tried it on. Decided it's not for me. The removable chin bar just seemed less than sturdy enough and the odd 'creaking' that the helmet makes when being handled just seemed very odd and i was uncomfortable with the flexible feeling that the shell seemed to have. Soooo . . now I'm considering the HJC SyMax 3. Seems hard to find bad comments about the latest SyMax model in all the online reviews. Anyone sporting one of those lids and care to offer comments???

If you're looking for a fully convertible (i.e. removable chin guard) then I don't have any experience that can help you. However the HJC SyMax 3 doesn't have that option as far as I know so... If you're looking for a flip face helmet, take a look at the other Nolans. I own the N90, a buddy bought the N103 (because of the better color options :)). Nolan's in general are solidly built and pretty widely used in Europe. I can highly recommend the N90 after riding with it for 1 year (not much in the winter/spring so far since I live in Seattle) with the following two caveats: a) Chin strap takes some getting used to since the microlock buckle can move around a bit (some people use superglue); and b) N90 helmet liner holes can make you're hair look a bit funnier than most.

I wear glasses and hated putting on full face helmets since the earpieces always shifted when putting on the helmet. N90 took care of that problem and the flip down sun visor takes care of the sunglasses requirement.

Check out the review at Web Bike World if you're interested:

Nolan N90 Review - webBikeworld

As with all helmets, make sure your head shape is a good fit for the one you want to buy.

Best of luck finding the one you want!