Bell RS-1 vs Scorpion exo-1100 Review

BKP

Finally had the opportunity to put a few hundred miles on a new Bell RS-1, and compare it to my current favorite, the Scorpion exo-1100:

Aesthetics:
This is the first thing any of us check out considering a new lid -- since if it didn't appeal, we wouldn't consider it. I ordered the Bell RS-1 with an Iridium Silver shield (the Scorpion has similar Mirror Gold).
They're both matte black, however, the Scorpion has an ever-so-slightly smoother finish, less prone to smudge, fingerprints, etc. However, the Bell has muted (blackened) decals, plus the visor connection system covers any other additional "mechanics." Additionally, the Bell is *completely* black, including the vents, which gives it a smoother overall appearance. The Scorpion has brushed nickel vents and logo, and visible silver visor release mechanisms. Bell wins on aesthetics.

Fit and interior:
They both feel extremely luxurious when you don them. Very plush interiors, second only to my Arai. The Scorpion runs VERY small, and has exactly the same fit in an X-Large, as the Bell in a Large (I'm a large in most helmets). They both have D-ring attach, with the Bell having a magnet, instead of a snap for looping the strap. Both are similar intermediate oval shapes, and fit me almost identically. However, Scorpion has a feel of higher quality in the padding, the liner, and the shaping of all the interior components, as well as the vent controls.
They both have what I'd consider 'racing' fitment, so they hug the sides of your face, and both need a bit of break in on the cheek-pads to get them perfect.
Both have completely removable comfort liners, cheek-pads, and chin curtains. However, the Scorpion also has a removable neck roll, while the Bell's is permanently attached (which had ramifications for attaching a Bluetooth communicator -- see below). I do *not* like anything on the interior permanently attached. Big negative for the Bell.
One big difference, is the Scorpion has large channels in the crown of the EPS liner (and the comfort liner) ostensibly for venting. However, I find the narrow channels, after hours of riding, tend to leave ridges in my scalp for an hour or so. This is my *least* favorite feature of the Scorpion. The Bell has a smooth EPS liner, and smooth comfort liner.
One HUGE advantage the Scorpion has, is an internal drop down visor. If I'm riding later in the day, and I'm worried about it getting dark, I can grab the clear faceshield, and use the internal dark smoke visor until it gets too dark, and then just flip up the internal visor. No need to carry a second faceshield. However, Bell *does* have a Photochromatic faceshield, that changes tint (like Transition sunglasses -- in fact, made by the same company). However, I'm not going to spring for $120 for a faceshield (at least not right now).
Winner on fitment / interior: Scorpion

Scorpion Interior:

Bell Interior:

Noise, Venting, and Buffeting:

They're both approximately equal in terms of noise (I wear plugs with both), with a slight advantage to the Scorpion. Neither is "loud." I'd put them both in the center of the noise curve. However, I noticed the Bell can "whistle" in a full upright position when the vents are open, and it seems to abate, when you lean a bit into a 3/4 -- which is fine with me, because I typically ride in a slight forward lean. Scorpion wins the noise compare.
Both have detents in the visor connection, and both have levers to crack them slightly open. I like the micro-detents better on the Bell, however, the Scorpion has a smoother action. I don't like detents on a helmet in particular. I prefer friction, like the Arai. However, they both work fine, and neither has issues with opening at high speeds, even when cracked.
The Bell definitely does not buffet as much as the Scorpion, even when head-checking into the wind.
The Scorpion flowed more air than the Bell, with the vents open. That's a good thing in the summer. However, the Scorpion *also* flowed more air with the vents closed -- not as good in the winter.
No clear winner on noise, venting, and buffeting.

Accessory attachment:
I ride *everywhere* with a Sena SMH5. I bought a 10, but didn't like it as much as the 5 (various reasons, in another thread). Here, the Scorpion has a HUGE advantage, with the removable neck roll:
1. You can't use a clamp-on system with the Bell, since the attached neck roll would mean putting a huge slice in it, to get the clamp between the shell and liner.
2. It also means wrapping wires *around* the neck roll on the Bell.
I REALLY hate the Bell attached neck roll.
However, this worked out alright. I use the clamp base on the Scorpion, and the included stick-on base on the Bell. I cut a 2 cm slit in the neck roll of the Bell, next to the shell, and ran the wiring harness through that from the inside, then sealed the corners of the slit with epoxy to keep it from widening. It worked very well. (I ordered just a 2nd upgraded speaker harness for the SMH5, and can just move the SMH5 unit from one base to another, depending on the helmet I'm taking.
Both helmets lent themselves to routing wire internally very easily.
Winner for attachment, and ease of accessorizing: Scorpion.

Scorpion exo-1100 Sena SMH5 attachment:

Bell RS-! Sena SMH5 attachment:

Bottom line, I'm very pleased with both the Scorpion exo-1100, and the Bell RS-1. They are much more similar than I anticipated, and might not have gone for the Bell, if I knew just how alike they were. I like them *both* better than my Arai Signet-Q, and Shoei Neotec.