Opinion: New Helmet?

AngryAnt

Want an opinion from you guys. I think CC can probably weigh in on this one, since its his fault I"m thinking about it anyway :p Basically, I want to know from people that swapped from helmets similar to mine to something different if its worth the money, or if I won't notice a huge difference.

Right now I use this particular helmet: HJC IS-MAX Bluetooth Modular Helmet - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

This is the only helmet I've ever owned, and I don't even have any rider buddies that wear full face helmets I can test out any others on the road. To me, this helmet seems heavy and feels like a brick in the wind. Its very noisy, even with ear-plugs I can hear pieces rattling and whistling. More than that though, even with my new Puig Racing windscreen, I don't feel the wind against my chest / arms, or even against the bike (crosswinds), but on days with little to no wind at all, it just feels like the wind is pushing unusually hard against my helmet. Turning to look behind me at 60+mph feels like my head is about to get wrenched off.

So...if I went with a different helmet, and I'm thinking something along the lines of this (thanks CC) Bell Vortex Grind Blue Helmet from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Has anybody went from something like my HJC to something like the Bell, and noticed little difference or a huge difference? I'm wondering if the wind is something I'll eventually get used to (still at 500 miles), or if a good helmet really will make all the difference.

Thanks much in advance.

CrazyCawi

if your in the market I have a killer deal On my bell vortex RSD Special edition for sale with the transition lense and all!

But your welcome for the product refferal. I promise youll never look back!

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

AngryAnt

I don't really think I want to go back with a modular. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't ever use the flip-up part at all. A good shield (maybe like transitions one) will replace the need for the drop down sun shield.

I'm not going to be buying right away anyway, for anything over $100 I usually spend a few weeks picking it out :) Although from what you guys are saying so far, it sounds like it might be worth it. I can probably buy the Vortex for around $180, and maybe sell my HJC on craigslist or something for around $100? I think anything to reduce weight or wind against my helmet would be worth it, since I'm constantly fighting against neck problems, and having anything slightly less noisy would just be an added bonus.

Detrich

If you're noticing too much wind drag, then your helmet might be too big. Are you sure that you're sized correctly? A properly sized helmet won't feel heavy or produce much wind drag...

I added an AGV GP-Tech to my HJC IS-16 Scratch. And, comparing the two, the main difference is only that the GP-Tech is much lighter. It's still equally noisy. Earplugs reduce wind noise, but they don't & shouldn't completely down out everything.

Aerodynamics wise, I find both helmets to be very good and comparable. My HJC is XS and feels glued on. The AGV is an S and still skin tight, but breathes just a tad more. In both tucked and relaxed riding positions I've had no issues with wind with either lid. The two brands' sizing are comparable. I fall in between sizes & wanted an XS in the AGV, but they didn't have it. So I settled for the S, which is still ok. But a glued on helmet sizing is always best.

ajskillz13

I have the exact helmet you're looking at! However, you should really shop around for it because I bought it a year ago at a dealer for $125. You will not find as good of a price online for helmets. This dealer had the retail price at $140 and this was WAY before they went on clearance. They gave me this deal along with about $10 off the Transitions shield.

Honestly, I think this is the best setup for the money. Yes, there are better helmets out there, but I don't think the Vortex is too incredibly loud and it is very comfortable. It has definitely sold me on Bell. So much that I will probably move up to an RS-1 when I get a new helmet.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

gdh8tsu

I never really like the flip up helmets like that (its just me though) they just seemed off balace to me. I have the HJ IS 16 which I think is pretty light and I also enjoy the internal dark shield, also the Newer Scorpions 500 I think have them. They seem alot lighter to me and also for some reason easer to turn my head maybe its the way its cut/shaped or something around the bottom..

AngryAnt

I ordered the Bell Vortex helmet last night on motorcyclecloseouts.com.

It was on closeout for $99.99. There won't be free shipping since it was a closeout item, but it's still cheaper than any I saw on other sites.

Here's the link: Bell Vortex Grind Helmet - $99.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $179.99
I really want to order one of these, but I have no local shops that sell Bell to get fitted with. Anybody went from HJC to Bell want to provide insight to the sizing difference? I use a large I HJC and it's pretty comfortable, not too tight. Am I pretty good ordering a large in Bell?

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

AngryAnt

You use a large helmet? but your claimed to be so tiny.. how big is your head? :eek:

Should go try on a bunch of mediums. They should squish your face nice and firm like. Don't want that coming off in case of emergency.. It's like wearing a magnum when you need regular trojans..

:iconbeer: :iconbeer:
I tried mediums on in Scorpian, HJC, and Shoei, and they felt like my head was about to get popped like a water balloon. And yes, I'm 5'4, 135 pounds with unusually large head. My mother reminds me of this weekly because my head was too big for a normal birth, and as a kid I would have to rip stitches in the necks of shirts b/c my head was too big to go through :eek:

I ordered a large in Bell, they're sizing chart says large is 23 1/4" - 23 5/8" , and I'm right at 23 1/4" if I measure holding the tape as tight as humanly possible, which is still quite a big larger than their medium range. Can't wait for the new helmet :) If it works out well I'll pick out a new shield and order it once I get it in.

Ryan85

I went from the HJC to the Bell.

I had a medium in the HJC, so I ordered a medium in the Bell. Personally, I think the Bell is a little more snug than the HJC, but I also think a lot of that has to do with the thicker (better) padding. I assume the Bell will break in a little more as I wear it. I definitely wouldn't go down a size with the Bell. In my opinion, the sizes seem consistent between the two brands, but if there was going to be a change, I would order up a size with the Bell.

I guess it all depends on the shape of your head though.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

AngryAnt

Got my new helmet in last night!

Its definitely a tighter fit than my HJC, but I think it'll be comfortable after a couple weeks of breaking in. My first impression was the stock shield seems to attract dirt and hold on to it much better than my previous helmet, and the padding is thick enough is almost impossible to use a pair of sunglasses with it, so I need to pick out a new shield pronto and get it ordered, as I ride facing the sun going to work, and facing the sun coming home.

Any suggestions? (besides the Transition shield, I'll get it a little later) I like the look of the 'mirrored' shields, just not sure how practical they are.

rr_double_rr

I use mirrored on my Scorpion Exo 400 and love them. Great during the day and provide enough shading to make it comfortable but not so dark that riding in twilight is unsafe. I've ridden at night with it, because I got delayed from my original plan and didn't have my clear, and it works just fine. I don't do that except when its unexpected.

If I think I am going to cut it close, I'll wear the clear with a set of sunglasses underneath to make sure I'm covered in both lights.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Got my new helmet in last night!

Its definitely a tighter fit than my HJC, but I think it'll be comfortable after a couple weeks of breaking in. My first impression was the stock shield seems to attract dirt and hold on to it much better than my previous helmet, and the padding is thick enough is almost impossible to use a pair of sunglasses with it, so I need to pick out a new shield pronto and get it ordered, as I ride facing the sun going to work, and facing the sun coming home.

Any suggestions? (besides the Transition shield, I'll get it a little later) I like the look of the 'mirrored' shields, just not sure how practical they are.
You're right, sunglasses don't work. The cheek pads are tighter than that little outfit on CC's UPS girl...

Don't waste your money on any other shields and just get the Transitions. You won't regret it. If you think about it, it's either fork over $120 now, or $40-60 now and another $120 later. You won't replace the Transitions unless it chips or you wreck. Plus, it fits the RS-1 and Star models if you ever want to upgrade.

JSP

Super Moderator
That would be my only issue going with such an expensive shield like that. I am goin on my 3rd dark smoke shield! I catch so many rocks from others in my group. :mad: