new to motorcycles, first timer!!

eucsstamtic

I am getting my first bike in a couple months... Its gonna be an FZ6R.... Any advice on anything... lol riding, ways to practice, how long until yall went on the open road the first time, anything would be helpful!! Thanks guys and gals!

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MC#4

well, jonkerr pretty much nailed it.
I would add that riding a dirtbike, even just around the yard will really get you used to riding a motorcycle, mainly because it is a motorcycle. If you have access to one or a friend has one you can ride I would highly recommend it. If you have never been on a bike before, chances of going down or dropping it are very high, which would really suck on such a new bike.

Be careful!

DanielW0830

1. MSF Class
2. Proper gear!!
3. Read books (Twist of the Wrist I and II by Keith Code, Total Control by Lee Parks.)
4. Never try to keep up or feel like you "should" be able to ride a given pace.
5. Read a lot about the bike. The more you know about it, the more comfortable you'll be.
6. Practice, Practice, Practice!
7. Ride safe and have fun.

And congrats on the buy.
I agree!

The video Twist the Wrist II is coming in the mail.
I have Total Control (Great Book)
and finally...MSF Class should be the first thing you do.

Even if you have dirt bike experience, the MSF class will prepare you for playing nice with all those big metal boxes driving around. They gave me lots of tips/strategies. :)

ajiribarren

Ride like a pro V (video) is quite good to get you used to handling your bike. I'd leave Twist of the Wrist to after you managed to feel confident on handling your motorcycle.

Also the book "Proficient Motorcycling" is quite good.

Cheers

ry-mac75

well, jonkerr pretty much nailed it.
I would add that riding a dirtbike, even just around the yard will really get you used to riding a motorcycle, mainly because it is a motorcycle. If you have access to one or a friend has one you can ride I would highly recommend it. If you have never been on a bike before, chances of going down or dropping it are very high, which would really suck on such a new bike.

Be careful!
Agree 100% - find an old pelter dirt bike and learn to ride on that thing... if you drop that, who cares?

Never panic and be prepared for anything...

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

eucsstamtic

WOW!! Thank you everyone for all of the information... I am signing up for an MSF course in Houston before I get home from this hitch offshore working. So I will have the MSF course under my belt before I actually own the bike. When it comes to gear, have no fear!!! I WILL be riding with a helmet, jacket, jeans and proper footwear!!! I the safety gear wont be an issue with me due to my high safety culture from my work offshore..... I have ridden a couple dirtbikes before and to be honest the first time i didnt know what a powerband was so naturally I ended up on my back with the bike flipped over in the dirt LOL good learning experience! But i got back up and got on the bike with a new found respect for these 2 wheel machines.. and rode all day till we ran outta gas! I will be picking up my bike and taking it home in the bed of the truck and i have tons of empty parking lots i WILL be practicing in. Also I will NOT get on the road unless I know I can control my reactions and the bike. I definitely do not want to become a statistic!... Once again thank you everyone for all of the information I am going to start looking for these books, seeing as how I have some free time offshore!!! i am definitely taking everyones advice.......

oh and btw i am also checkin out what everyone is doing with their bikes.... they look real nice!!! Ride safe everyone, and feel free to drop me a line

Rat

I think every beginner rider had those issues:
1. Applying brake when training U-turn or swerve exercises on low speed (in another words - when bike lean). Result in most cases is that the bike will be dropped.
2. Panic (OMG I'm going to fall! :)) and as a result - accidental acceleration.

So be aware of it.
Stay calm all the time and show us pics of the new bike.:)

Last edited:

Detrich

those guys covered everything already. so, one last thing i'd like to add is just to try to 'be optimistically confident in yourself.'

i remember talking to so many new riders in my msf class. and, they were all worried about falling down the test the last day. i was thinking to myself, 'geez, if u keep worrying that you're going to fall, then you WILL fall...' just think positive and have fun already!

don't be over-confident and ride safely within your abilities. but, when u feel nervous sometimes, fall back on your training and what you've learned. and, just tell yourself, 'I CAN DO THIS.' and, u'll be good. also, we are newbies, so we will fall- it's inevitable. but, risk can be managed. so, don't let it bring u down too much and just realize that like all things, it's a learning process. just try to have fun, be safe, and learn from your mistakes.

otherwise, fear turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

Last edited:

Fzara2000

I'll be picking up a used FZ6R on Saturday and there's no parking lots in the vicinity to practice in. I took the MSF class but would feel even more confident to drive it around the block a few hundred times, which is what I plan to do.

I'm gonna get my brother-in-law's books this weekend and start studying!

JonKerr

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

redprodigy35

Know how to use the skills you read about, why they're important, and know the physics behind those techniques and it'll all fall into place.
+1000

I found that once I understood the physics of what the bike was doing, more specifically-- the relationship of the back tire and suspension, everything DID fall into place, regardless of whether or not I knew or remembered the exact terminology. I found Flick of the Wrist helped me most with visualizing these concepts.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ecunni04

First timer!!

I am also getting my first bike in a few months. Very excited, cant wait! I have been reading every review about the main three beginner bikes, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. After reading tons of reviews and watching many vids on each one, I went to the local dealer and sat on them for while. The FZ6R seemed to be the most comfy. Also, the FZ6R seemed to fit my size a little better than the others too. I am registered for a MSF class in August, I hope too learn alot.

Ride Safe!!!
2011 FZ6R

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member