new to motorcycles, first timer!!

sammy56

I am also getting my first bike in a few months. Very excited, cant wait! I have been reading every review about the main three beginner bikes, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. After reading tons of reviews and watching many vids on each one, I went to the local dealer and sat on them for while. The FZ6R seemed to be the most comfy. Also, the FZ6R seemed to fit my size a little better than the others too. I am registered for a MSF class in August, I hope too learn alot.

Ride Safe!!!
2011 FZ6R
Just so you know, the FZ6R ain't no beginner bike. Good luck though.
There are always exceptions and many newbs can jump on a 600 or a litre bike for that matter and have a great and safe experience. BUT...Don't kid yourself!! Sales people make recommendations all the time, some good, some not so good.
As tame as the FZ6R is to a rider with some experience, it is a monster to those with none.
Good luck and ride safe.

LB

Sparkxx1

Follow your own learning curve. I had to ride the streets for 150 miles under 40 mph to hit a freeway, some people hit it on the first day. We're all different and under no circumstances get too cocky, someone or something will bring you back to the right mindset, the wrong way.

SAFE-T

1. Training

Even if you have ridden dirt bikes, there are a few differences between off-road and on-road riding you will want to be aquainted with.

If you have never ridden, it will get you off on the right foot. If you haven't ridden for a while it will hopefully reinforce good habits again. If you used to be a rider and never took a course of any kind you may learn something you should have known but didn't.

2. Gear

Does anyone really have to be told this ? Darwin loves motorcycles.

3. Choose your riding partners wisely.

If you ride with squids, you'll eventually wind up in an ambulance looking like calamari.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

RoadTrip

The FZ6R is my first real street bike, 6000 miles since getting it at Christmas. I did ride an Enduro back in 1986 for about a year, but that was 20+ years ago, but it seemed to help a bit.

I plan on riding this bike for a full 20K and 2 years before moving up, I believe it is a good cheap bike to get started in I-4's. Consider this bike a trainer for more powerful ones down the road, you improve quick and start thinking you are ready for a SS - I say wait and train on this one for a good long while.

There are 2 kinds of motorcyclists: riders, and posers. Lots of dudes riding liter bikes and SS's that want to look cool and rev the engine, you see them on craigslist with a long list of upgrades and less than 2K miles. Get real with yourself, if you want to be cool and flashy and get the chicks, then you will be all down on the FZ6R in a short while, wishing you had one of the 'cool' bikes your friends have. But, if you want to be a good motorcyclist, then the FZ6R is a great start - you can put hours in the saddle, reaching the twisties in comfort, then improving your skills when you get there.

Great mileage, upright bars for comfort and control, cheap insurance, looks decent, solid I-4, and cool enough for the unitiated by-stander. Some will say start on a ninja 250, but if you have spent a lot of time riding bikes (e.g. mountain biking), and have some previous motorcycling experience, then I believe you will be fine on the FZ6R - just show respect and become an expert at throttle control. It is a wonderful bike, just take it easy for the first couple of months and you will be fine. Also get a copy of Twist the Wrist II and take the MSF.

ecunni04

Just so you know, the FZ6R ain't no beginner bike. Good luck though.
There are always exceptions and many newbs can jump on a 600 or a litre bike for that matter and have a great and safe experience. BUT...Don't kid yourself!! Sales people make recommendations all the time, some good, some not so good.
As tame as the FZ6R is to a rider with some experience, it is a monster to those with none.
Good luck and ride safe.

LB
I originally was going to get a ninja 250 but i am quite a big guy. It really wasnt that comfortable to sit on IMO. I really like the feel of the FZ6R. I plan to take it real slow in the beginning. Also, my MSF course should help out alot. My mother inlaw took the same course and she didnt start riding till she was almost fifty years old. She started out on a 1200 sportster.

Ride Safe!!!

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Mr Citrus

Today was my 4th day on a motorcycle, 2 of those on the MSF course bikes. I love the FZ6R as a beginner bike, that's just me. Like someone else said, I was the guy in the course nobody could believe had never been on a bike before. But I hit my limit (for now) today. Sunday after class I took my first rides on my bike, a few spins around the neighborhood, then a mile on actual road (2 traffic lights...whippee!) Yesterday I progressed to driving through town (average 45 to 55MPH, maxed at 65 for a quick sprint alone.) Felt great, lots of confidence.

Today I decided to go right for highway 95, for one exit. I did fine, but man it was nerve wracking. I stayed in the far right lane, and stayed at 65 MPH. Just focused like a laser on staying straight, and staying upright, despite the air trying to suck me off the bike (or so it felt to this noob). The semi's passing me added to the nerves for sure, but in hindsight wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, that 4 mile stretch on a major interstate was enough for me...couldn't wait to get off and make my way home on the backroads. I did fine, but I certainly found my limit for now. I'm going to keep honing my skills around town and the smaller highways leading out of civilization to get used to higher speeds.

To each his own, I think you just have to balance staying safe and comfortable with pushing your limits gradually. And like most things, you have to build confidence in yourself and the machine.
You sound like a very responsible rider.
I'm still working up the courage to make an afternoon ride to tortilla flats(twisty canyon roads)

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

rr_double_rr

#1 advice is to "Ride your own Ride." Do only what you are comfortable with. For the first few months I rode easily 50 yards behind any other traffic so that I knew I would have enough space to stop in a controlled manner. I was freaked out about panic stops. Don't try to keep up with other riders when they exceed your ability.

I'm lucky as all get out that I survived it, but at 2 months I went up to the N.GA mountians and rode with a group from another board I'm on. I tried to keep pace with them, HUGE MISTAKE. My body position was horrible, my braking techniques weren't developed, and I had no idea how to negotiate decreasing radii turns, or deal with the unexpected.

Truth be told, because my first months were filled with stories like that, I'm a statistical anomaly. I shouldn't be sitting here right now.

Take your time, learn to ride your ride, and stay within your own comfort limits for the first few months. After you know how to handle the majority of situations, expected and unexpected, then you can add in your own variables.

I forget who said it on here already, but cautious confidence is the best answer. Be confident enough to take command of the bike, but cautious enough to know that things always happen and you have to be ready for them. Respect the machine, it will do EXACTLY what you tell it to. Even throw you to the ground.

jay

All of the above.. and when you really master the skills, don't forget that your goal should be to reach home safely, you will come across all kind of drivers/cagers.. Never try to get even with them period...

Cagers have some weird issues and they will try to engage you in a race to try to show their superiorty.. or will follow you too close or even worse, just let them pass by.. stop your bike if necessary (not on the raod..!!)
I came across an idiot on the freeway who even gave me some hand gestures and i was very tempted to reciprocate but i didn't...! Riding requires pateince and self-control and i some what mastered both of those virtues soon after getting married to my dear wife, yeah i learnt the hard way..!! :)