New Rider - I 2nd guess everything

behindXgrnXeyes

ok so first off, I am a new rider..just got the bike not even 3 days ago and its my first bike so im taking everything safe and slow like I should be.

I just wanted some tips and tricks on Down Shifting and Turns. These are my roughest skills im trying to learn and getting some feedback from other riders on the same bike would be great :)

I ride the 09 FZ6R, just so its known.

Ok so, im riding...I shift up, shift up...I'm in 3rd. I approch a red light in which the left turn arrow is green and I want to turn left..tips? Let's assume I'd make that left im coming up to. So far my luck has turned these lights red so I've been able to just shift down to a stop and wait.

While in the topic of Downshifting, if traffic slows and I'm in 3rd, around what speed should I down shift to 2nd...or even first if we get down to it....

(if you cant alrdy tell, this is my first manual trans...i think im doing ok :-D)

let's start here and see where we get

Thanks in advance for everyones help....:steve:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just as a good rule of thumb, you want to stay in the 4-6k rpm range when dealing with traffic. This is where the FZ6R powerband is and it would allow you to make evasive manuevers if needed.

On the topic of turns, I like to make my turns in 1st or 2nd gear, depending on how fast and how sharp the turn is. Most of the time, I'm in 2nd. What is key is that you do all your breaking and downshifting before you get into the turn. This will make the turn smooth and prevent you from accidentally upsetting the balance of the bike while leaning into the turn. Also, being in the lower gear then allows you to accelerate out of the turn.

Hope this helps and gets you started in the right direction. :thumbup:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

behindXgrnXeyes

Yeah im totally down with the 2nd gear turns, I just don't around what speed/rpm to down shift from 3rd. I don't want to slow down to quickly and put myself in a situation with the cars behind me....I did also read the 4-6 range and im naturally staying there which makes me happy

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

everyone listed great info already... :)

i'll just add one thing i've learned in my newbie riding adventures... and, that is, try not to get into the habbit of downshifting from 2nd to 1st at all if all you're doing is slowing down a bit to make a 'moving turn.' 1st gear is jerky, and you might lock up the rear wheel. ride out the momentum of the turn by gently feathering the throttle in 2nd gear to maintain speed & control.

as far as downshifting goes, what chris just said ^... :)

ry-mac75

Eventually... and I know this sounds vague... you'll just 'get it'. The bike talks to you if you listen to it. After awhile, you can just feel it... again, sounds dumb, but it's true. I use mine as my daily commuter and shifting gears on it is as natural as breathing now.

It's like I tell people learning to skate for the first time - the less you think about it, the easier it is. Just have fun with it and remember... if the bike sounds a little angry - what you did probably pissed it off... so don't do that again.

Good luck and ride safe, bud.

creggur

Very solid advice in this thread.... The only thing I would reiterate is to get in a parking lot and practice, practice, practice until the feel is second-nature. I won't really take that long at all and is time well spent.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

Well you can ride over to Marthy since you guys live in West Palm Beach...

Others have already given you plenty of great info. Have you taken the MSF course yet? If not you should, it's not only required but it's also a great course.

Now like they mentioned I would never ever downshift to first while in a turn. Reason being is I was once like you, I didn't know anything about a manual transmission. At the MSF course I didn't want to be the one to ask what a clutch does but thankfully someone else did.

Basically each gear has their own speed "bracket" or limit.
1st gear on the FZ6-R being 45mph or so I believe and so forth.

Say you're going 55 and try to downshift to first, you're going to basically smack yourself against the gas tank because the bike is trying to get into that gear which can't contain that speed. Thus called the "tank slapper".

On a bike you can ride at any speed in 6th gear but it'll be slow when you try to accelerate.

Ok so, im riding...I shift up, shift up...I'm in 3rd. I approch a red light in which the left turn arrow is green and I want to turn left..tips
Pull in the clutch, tap the brakes to slow down. Since you're new to riding and all just take your time and take the turn slow, don't worry about the cars behind you because on a bike you don't have ABS so if you slam on the brakes you're going down because it doesn't have anti lock break system. Later on you'll progress to taking turns faster, sharper etc.

While in the topic of Downshifting, if traffic slows and I'm in 3rd, around what speed should I down shift to 2nd...or even first if we get down to it....
This is generally a feel, I sometimes forget what gear I'm in. Only time you really need to remember is first gear when slowing down to about 15 or 10 mph you should go to first gear.

redwing-2001

spend a weekend here:
MTII ? Learn to Ride, Florida

sooner is better, you won't regret it.
The BRC covers in detail the questions you asked and then some.
I facilitate the same MSF course up here in Georgia and know some of the people in Florida, they are very good. I believe Florida requires the course for licensing anyway.
What you said about taking it slowly and the fact that you are asking good questions is excellent.

behindXgrnXeyes

spend a weekend here:
MTII ? Learn to Ride, Florida

sooner is better, you won't regret it.
The BRC covers in detail the questions you asked and then some.
I facilitate the same MSF course up here in Georgia and know some of the people in Florida, they are very good. I believe Florida requires the course for licensing anyway.
What you said about taking it slowly and the fact that you are asking good questions is excellent.
yes yes, i took the MSF course, passed with flying colors and got my license changed to reflect my motorcycle license....But in the cuorse they dont stick cars behind you and toss you at a traffic light, hence my questions..

but you guys have been great, thanks

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Superzoom

Two things I'd like to mention...

First off, it might be a little dangerous for a beginner to be high in the rev range while accelerating out of a turn. It's so easy to lose traction while doing so. As a beginner, it's probably a good idea to stay a gear higher than one that gives optimal power in order to keep the torque from spinning the back wheel. The FZ6R has decent low-end torque, so you can make turns in pretty high gears.

Secondly, you should begin to learn how to match your throttle with engine speed as you downshift. That just takes practice. Practice it during straight line stops and do it gradually until becomes natural. Once you can do that, the next step is to learn to blip the throttle to downshift quickly and smoothly. Blipping the throttle is the fastest and smoothest way to downshift, and would help in your traffic light turn scenario and in sport riding through curves.

Blipping the throttle is hard to explain. Try to see if you can find some video of how to do it on YouTube. I think I saw how in a video by Keith Code.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

behindXgrnXeyes

Did you get your bike at Greater Yamaha? I went there this week to get some goodies and my salesman told me he sold a 6R last week. Have you seen the 2 brand new FZ6...the last 2 in Florida.

They kind of liked my bike too. Touring windscreen and Supertrapp pipe... We need me meet up since were so close. Ride safe! Beeline is nice to ride after rush hours, not a lot of traffic there...
Colin? I picked the bike up Tues, it was that white one you saw when you first walked in :)

NYGirl

Good for you

First of all, welcome, and good for you, you picked the right bike. This bike has enough power to be fun, but is gracious and forgiving of a beginner. And I can say that! Like you, I bought mine, first bike, one year ago. I have put 10,000 miles on it in one year. Love every minute of it!

Any time a light is green, I think to myself "stale green" -- I *may* have to stop. But on a bike, it's easier to keep rolling, than to stop and go. So, you could actually roll through that left turn in 3rd gear. Usually a gear is used between x speed and y speed right? Well that's what I mean by "forgiving", on our bike I've found that there is a HUGE overlap. So don't worry about it so much; if you're going forward, you're fine. If the bike seems to be chugging, it's probably in too high a gear; click down one, slide the clutch out, and proceed.

You'll get it. As everyone keeps saying, it just takes time, and being in Florida, you have plenty of that ahead of you!

The single most thing that helped me this year was to ride with a very experienced, very steady rider. Alot. He set a good example, maintained steady speeds, minded the speed limits, showed me the lines to ride through corners, didn't try to pass cars inappropriately, watched my back in traffic, didn't take me on roads that were beyond my capability... all of that really helped. Find people to ride with that you are comfortable with. You sound sensible; find sensible riding friends.

Word to the wise: check out the T-Rex racing frame sliders. they are hard plastic knobs that are easy to install, one on each side of the bike's white cowling. When you drop your bike (you WILL.. everyone does.. probably trying to back up or turn around) the bike lands on them and doesn't destroy the plastic.

HAVE FUN! Let us know how you're doing!!

Last edited: