New Ride: gsx-r600

ksanbon

It was a deal that I couldn't resist. Suzuki is offering 0.5% financing for 6 years + $1000 rebates on the 2013's. OTD price with the $580 Suzuki 5 year (4 + standard 1) was $11,974. My payments are $168.86. Total interest on the loan is $183.24.
As a bonus, the dealership does the first oil change & service for free.
Anyone looking for a better deal could get a blue/white w/ a diffenent paint scheme for $700 less at a different dealership.

Anyway, I picked it up yesterday. It was a great day. Rode the train 85 miles south to Santa Barbara then rode the bike home. I should have taken pictures from the train because a good part of the ride was along the edge of the coast.

I had ridden the bike a few days earlier, because the dealership allows test rides once the numbers have been agreed upon.

The riding position works for me because I'm used to ridiing bicycles w/ dropped handlebars (on the 6r, I moved the bars forward and turned them down, but it never felt right). The gsxr feels compact because of the narrow bars and the forward seating position. It also feels smaller because it's balanced w/o having the top-heaviness of th 6r. The difference between the bikes is significant enough that I'm surprised that I felt so comfortable on it from the beginning.

It was a great ride home. Suzuki recommends keeping the rpm below 7500 for 600 miles, then under 11,000 til you get to 1,000. I plan on doing just that while spending time riding in each gear to break it in.

I know it's going accelerate better than the 6r. In first gear, it reaches 39 mph at 7500 rpm. The redline is over 15,000 rpm so I won't have to shift when accelerating to merge on freeways.

I can't believe how easy it is to ride. I ride both bikes back-to-back this morning. Here are my impressions...
1. there's no clunking it into 1st gear.
2. bottom-end is good - high revs/slipping clutch isn't required to take off.
3. shifting is smooth like the 6r, but the slipper clutch makes down-shifting super-easy.
5. the ride is smooth despite the suspension's high-performance orientation.
4. cornering is confidence inspiring - I can go in faster and more relaxed because it seems to know what needs to be done better than I do. It feels like a part of me. Chalk it up to riding position, suspension, tires, geometry, narrow bars, & electic steering damper.
5. the aerodynamics are better. I had planned to put a ZeroGravity sport-touring windscreen on it, but might save the cash instead. There's less buffeting in every wind direction and for every seationg position on the gsxr than my 6r w/ the Puig Racing windscreen. I couldn't believe it!
6. way more fun than i thought...

The negatives...
1. premium gas
2. no fuel gauge - indicator flashes @ 1 gal left & stays on @ 0.4 gal.
3. clock or odometer - you have to scroll between them, 3 trip odos, & the lap time counter.
4. recommended oil change interval is 3500 miles or 1 year.
5. it doesn't turn as sharp as the 6r when I'm moving it by hand.

I love it, but I might try to also keep the 6r because it fills a diffenent need and it's been a great bike for me. I'll update after 1000 miles.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

awesome congrats!

check the GSXR forum on the premium gas thing to see if any owners run reg. w/o any problem. a lot of high perf. car/bike owner's manuals say premium, but long as the engine doesn't ping using lower octane it usually isn't an issue

JSP

Super Moderator
NICE! Great looking machine there. Have fun with her!!! :D

RoadTrip

Congrats, yeah my experience was very similar to yours. It took me awhile to get back to long rides, though, cause the ergos do put you at a slight angle, but for a SS the gixxer is pretty relaxed. I can now do about 6hrs (300miles) with breaks, before wanting to get off.

Also took me awhile to really spend much time above 10K, now its pretty normal to me, that's when the bike really comes alive and has that mean race sound, it's very addictive, but best run that way on deserted back roads.

I went FZ6R->GSXR600->GSXR750->maybe a liter next Spring; You can turn these bikes around with trade in at about 2yrs on a 5yr note without being upside down, so if you decide to move up in a couple of years you just swap bikes and keep the same payment.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ksanbon

Nice ride Mate! Always love those Gixxers, 750 would be my perfect SS bike. How about the brakes? That's what hit me the most every time I jump on the 6R, brake sucks compare to the 09. I do enjoy the 6R a lot still but the brakes... I scare myself again this morning, I tough the lever was gonna bend but the bike just kept going LOL

The 09 has an older R6 version brakes and I upgrade for HH serinted brake pads. That thing stop on a dime!
I haven't practiced any real panic stops yet, but so far it feels like it'll send me over the bars if I don't do everything right. The track tests that I've read recommend steel-braided brake lines to maximum effectiveness.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ksanbon

Congrats, yeah my experience was very similar to yours. It took me awhile to get back to long rides, though, cause the ergos do put you at a slight angle, but for a SS the gixxer is pretty relaxed. I can now do about 6hrs (300miles) with breaks, before wanting to get off.

Also took me awhile to really spend much time above 10K, now its pretty normal to me, that's when the bike really comes alive and has that mean race sound, it's very addictive, but best run that way on deserted back roads.

I went FZ6R->GSXR600->GSXR750->maybe a liter next Spring; You can turn these bikes around with trade in at about 2yrs on a 5yr note without being upside down, so if you decide to move up in a couple of years you just swap bikes and keep the same payment.

I agree. I rode it over 100 miles without stopping coming home and the only discomfort I had was a tight shoulder muscle on the left side of my back. I have to get better at using my knees/abs for support and keeping everything else relaxed.
Although I plan on keeping it and adding a sport-tourer, the resale value does offer a lot of options. I was figuring that the cheap financing would give me a payoff of about $6800 after 2.5 years if I cash the warranty out.

ksanbon

Cool.

Now that you have a real nice ride. Make sure you set your free sag / rider sag number right. Not sure about your weight but a proper spring rate / sag number will make the ride more enjoyable. Look at some racetech or other similar peddler. I'm sure you can find some good base line shock settings too.
Thanks Marthy.
I weigh about 145 and don't plan on going to the track so adjustments will need to be made. Fortunately, they made it easy. I can use a screwdriver to adjust the pre-load for the springs on the front suspension and damping-force adjusters for the front and rear suspensions. I'm going to have the dealership lower the rear pre-load setting when I take it in for the first service.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

ksanbon

Congrats!
Now, how about the insurance... much difference?
I'll know tomorrow - will post.

I know it's on premium gas, but what kind of mpg you get / expect to get?
Motorcycle USA got 35.7 mpg running one pretty hard, so I'm hoping for 40. My first tank was about 30, but they didn't have it filled it to the top and I drove it a lot in low gears.

Nice bike, wish my credit was better to get in on that deal. I've always loved the GSXR. The 2013 in that same color runs around $9600 here in PA at one dealership that I found.
Don't give up - there are a lot of things you can do to rebuild credit.
Here in Calif, $9600 would be an outstanding price if there aren't any extra dealer charges. A salesman in a dealership that was advertising a blue one for $8588 told me that they had to add $895 for freight + $895 for prep. When I broke down the out-the-door price, i figured that they were also charging $500 for documentation.

Last edited:

Detrich

Congrats! :) the GSXR600 is a fantastic bike, and am sure you'll love it more and more.

Just the weight reduction difference alone is a huge plus when moving from the 6R to a SS 600, imo... But then again, moving up from a SS 600 to a SS 1000 is like getting the weight of the 6R all back but with 3 x's the power... A weird trade off... But, weight does does matter in how easy it is to handle a bike on technical roads...

No matter how much Yamaha tries to hide the extra 50 lbs on the R1 and the 6R, it's always there and you do feel it. And, in canyons like GMR or otherwise, the only thing that can really compensate for that extra 50 lb weight is riding skills... It requires a lot more out of the rider, and induces earlier fatigue, imo.

That said am really anxious to see how the 2015 redesigned R1 lands, as it's rumored to be significantly lighter, smaller, more electronics, and more like the M1...

chrisnlb

congrats! I did a demo ride last year on a gsxr750, I think it may be my next bike. btw, how is the exhaust sound? is it louder than our breadbox?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

ksanbon

Congrats!
Now, how about the insurance... much difference?
My State Farm insurance went from $33/mo to $54/mo for full coverage w/ a $250 deductible. I'm pretty old, over 60, but I had a $2700 claim on the 6r when I laid it down in 2010.

congrats! I did a demo ride last year on a gsxr750, I think it may be my next bike. btw, how is the exhaust sound? is it louder than our breadbox?
I'm guessing that it's twice as loud and a lot throatier w/ a deeper pitch. The sound's already addictive below 7500 rpm - I can hardly wait to hear it over 10,000.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member