New Ride: gsx-r600

ksanbon

rode 170 miles today

I took it back to Santa Barbara Motorsports for the 600 mile service. It was a great morning that started at 7:30. Rode south on Hwy 101 to San Marcos Pass (154). There was quite a bit of traffic there, but it opened up on the curvy section going into SB :D. The tempurature was in the middle 70's.
Got to the dealership where service took it right in (appt), then went to parts to pick up the service maual & Vortex frame sliders I had ordered. I've found that everyone in that dealership is really friendly & helpful - you can tell that they're into riding and that they like working there.
To kill time, I took my jacket & overpants off (t-shirt & shorts) and put on my walking sandals to go check out the area. One thing that really impressed me is that the dealership has hangers for customer's gear & shelves for helmets.
I walked for 40 minutes then returned. My bike was done 20 minutes later. The experience made me feel good about buying the bike there, especially since my local dealer quoted me 3 hours for the job.
I came home via 101, then took a back-country road w/ some technical twisties into Solvang for Danish pastries. I wanted to get them home quickly for my daughters, so I rode 101 home.

Notes
1. 170 miles on 3.3 gallons = 51.6 mpg (70 - 75 mph on freeway)
2. Seat got uncomfortable on the way home. I'm going to send it to Eddie at Dirt Road.
3. Ergos are fine. No problem for my back, but my shoulders & neck got stiff on the way home. I'm pretty sure the shoulder issue comes from not supporting my upper body w/ my legs & core enough. My neck should be ok w/ conditioning.
4. At 500 miles, I started running the motor up to 11,000 rpm. Everybody's right - it's addicting. I'll be able to run it up to 15,200 rpm in a little over 300 miles.
5. 1st gear at 11,000 rpm = 63 mph.
6. RE aerodynamics, in my normal riding position, the wind catches me from the neck up and there's little or no turbulence around my helmet. This really surprised me because the windscreen is so short. On the fz6r, my helmet was being buffeted over 50% of the time w/ a Puig Racing screen.
7. The bike rides great and is a lot of fun except on bumpy roads like the one to Solvang that shows the stiffness of the suspension. That was the 4 miles where my neck & shoulders really started bothering me.
8. After I get the seat redone and get myself in shape, I can foresee doing 400 mile days on it.
9. Biggest downside is the luggage issue. I haven't come up w/ a way to put anything on the tail without scuffing the paint on the plastics.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

RoadTrip

Yeah, the stiff suspension can get choppy on bumpy back roads, but it seems to soften after about 5,000 miles. In one of my posts on another thread I mentioned how it takes time to 'acclimate' to SS ergos, but this also applies to the stiffness of the suspension. You could probably dial in some softness using the adjustments, but then it may wallow a bit and not feel as sharp when you are hitting the twisties. As long as the bike feels reasonably compliant, then the stock settings should be fine for the street (at the track you would certainly be more concerned about having the optimal settings).

Grumpy

You can probably relieve some of the strain by making a few slight adjustments to your riding position. Try the following...

> Make sure you ride with the balls of you're feet on the rear sets (just behind the toes)

> Make sure you raise you're heels so that you're knees are up and into the tank. This will tighten you're core and fore you to arch your back a bit.

> Make sure you're about a fist length away from the tank to you're delicate bits.

> Grip the clip-ons like you would hold a screw driver. This help to keep you're elbows bent and not locked. This really helps during track days/aggressive riding / the twisty stuff.

Cheers! :steve:

ksanbon

You can probably relieve some of the strain by making a few slight adjustments to your riding position. Try the following...

> Make sure you ride with the balls of you're feet on the rear sets (just behind the toes)

> Make sure you raise you're heels so that you're knees are up and into the tank. This will tighten you're core and fore you to arch your back a bit.

> Make sure you're about a fist length away from the tank to you're delicate bits.

> Grip the clip-ons like you would hold a screw driver. This help to keep you're elbows bent and not locked. This really helps during track days/aggressive riding / the twisty stuff.

Cheers! :steve:

Thanks Grumpy, I do that half the time - it's the other half that gets to me:(.

pkoko

I made the jump from FZ6R to GSX-R 750..

The riding position
You need to be lose and not tight on the handle bars. Also get some tank pads like stomp-grips. They really help when you are doing some heavy braking and allow you to flick the bike a lot easier from side to side.
Lower the rear sets. They are adjustable :)
I would also highly recommend that you wear ear plugs if you plan on riding at freeway speeds or long distances. Wind noise can be very fatiguing.

Fuel economy
I get around 45-48 mpg on my 750 but I don't rev it up often. I mostly stay under 7k even under hard acceleration.

Must have mods:
1- Frame sliders
2- Tank pads -- see above
3- rear spools and rear stand for chain maintenace
4- better headlight bulb for night driving. I have one PIAA model.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy, I do that half the time - it's the other half that gets to me:(.
Oh, and get one of these tank pads or any one really. These will help keep you're legs in place.

I've got these Home page

Grumpy

I get just about 50 on my CBR1000. Then again I'm old and slow LOL :eek:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

pkoko

Air filter is new. On the forum people mentioned anywhere from 33-40 on the 750. I don't think it's too low, thoughts? I did replace plugs recently too. I ride it pretty hard as well.
Maybe Suzuki weren't joking when they said the 2011+ have 10% improvement in fuel economy.

RoadTrip

Air filter is new. On the forum people mentioned anywhere from 33-40 on the 750. I don't think it's too low, thoughts? I did replace plugs recently too. I ride it pretty hard as well.
35 is pretty normal on spirited rides, 40 if you're taking it easy - still a heck of a lot better than 17mpg in a truck

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

ksanbon

Mods

Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen: Extra protection w/ no increase in the turbulence/buffeting you might get w/ a taller screen. Great optically. Perfect fit.
$99 retail. Bought it for $85 + tax from my guy locally. To get the discout, I just asked for an internet-competitive price (I was willing to pay the sales tax).

Vortex V3 frame sliders: No-cut; Solid mount; replacable slider pucks; easy to install.
$129 retail. Bought them for $113 + tax.

The next step will be the StompGrips for the tank. I'm thinking about the clear smoothridge.

Attachments

ksanbon

Gas mileage update

Been commuting - half-mile on the freeway, the rest on country roads with some curves. Still breaking it in so I'm keeping the revs under 11,000.
Last fill-up took 2.6 gallons for 112.7 miles = 43.3 mpg.

The fuel economy is the same as the fz6r I had.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

ksanbon

Seat upgrade

I posted this in another thread, so I'm sorry if you looked twice.

The stock seat wasn't working for me so I contacted Eddie Copeland at Dirt Road to see what he could do about the numbing and discomfort in my perineum after an hour in the saddle. I also told him what I weighed.
He redid the padding with his "B" foam (for riders under 170 pounds) and made a lower relief channel down the center of the saddle. The stock saddle was pretty flat from front to back so he contoured the foam so I feel a lot more secure in the sweet spot.
What a difference! The seat holds me in place better so I don't have to grip the tank as hard with my knees. The softer foam feels better and it took the harshness out of going over bumps w/o being squishy. Finally, I just came back from a 2 hour ride over a variety of roads with no discomfort, and the rest of my body isn't as tired because I'm more secure on the saddle.

Now all I have to do is take Nismo's idea and handle the luggage issue...