New fork: strange clicking

csmcmillion

I lowsided and slid into a barricade in April, bending the forks and bottom tripple tree. I had new OEM forks and clamp installed by a reputable Yamaha dealer. Going through tech a couple of weeks ago we noticed a strange click that you can feel when you hold the front brake and compress the forks. I feel it through the bars more than hear it.

I took the bike back to the dealer. They checked the head bearings. All was good - they re-torqued everything to specs. They also checked the oil level in both forks. Both fine, but the click remains.

The new forks have less than a thousand miles on them. Motosport says there is no warranty on them as Yamaha has no control over how they are installed or who does it.

Thoughts?

milepig

I lowsided and slid into a barricade in April, bending the forks and bottom tripple tree. I had new OEM forks and clamp installed by a reputable Yamaha dealer. Going through tech a couple of weeks ago we noticed a strange click that you can feel when you hold the front brake and compress the forks. I feel it through the bars more than hear it.

I took the bike back to the dealer. They checked the head bearings. All was good - they re-torqued everything to specs. They also checked the oil level in both forks. Both fine, but the click remains.

The new forks have less than a thousand miles on them. Motosport says there is no warranty on them as Yamaha has no control over how they are installed or who does it.

Thoughts?
When you're doing this (holding brk's/pumping forks) watch the bobbins between the brake disk and carrier and you might see small movement. I believe this is what you're feeling and hearing.

This may sound weird but also check to see if there are any zip ties around any cables inside the fairing area by the triple tree. I heard a strange "clicking" sound when turning my handlebars and it turned out that the excess part of a zip tie was hitting on something else (flicking) and making that clicking sound.