Impressions of the new V-Strom compared to the Fizzer

BKP

Well, I've had a pretty good chance to wring out the Strom (at least as much as you can do in a couple hundred miles). Did the Motoman thing for break-in, so didn't really have to worry about keeping the leash on after the 1st 40 miles. These are my 1st impressions of the 2013 V-Strom 650:

- Chassis: This is a *TALL* bike. And, I'm not. With a 30" inseam, I'm not flat-footing this thing anytime soon. So, it takes a bit of "pre-planning" when you stop, or pull into parking (you don't want to back up on an incline, on your tippy toes). I've ordered a "LOW" version Sargent seat, but if it changes the leg geometry (which I really like), I'll exchange the seat for standard height, and put in 3/4" Kouba lowering links. Seems many do, and even like the cornering improvement from the slightly lowered bike. So, the FZ6R definitely offers more confidence out the door. However, I'm getting used to the height.
Changing oil (after the requisite 40 miles of a hard break-in), was a pleasure. No fairings/cowls to remove, and everything was almost ridiculously accessible. Problem is it's *so* accessible, that getting a skid plate is practically mandatory (if you look at where the oil filter is, in that picture above, you'll see *why* a skid plate is mandatory). Since it *is* an 'adventure' bike, there's more clearance (trade-off for being a taller bike).
The ergos are similar to the 6R, but even more upright. You feel like you have lots of room on this bike. Less cramped.
Windshield sucks -- lots of buffeting. Seat sucks. (But, that's the case with most mfgrs. OEM windscreens and seats).
LOTS of spool choices, since there's a swingarm screw accommodation (like there *should* be). I'm on the fence, still, if I'll put in frame sliders or crash bars. This type of bike sort of begs crash bars...
The horn is decidedly not a duck quack. It's surprisingly loud.
Brake *and* oil levels are viewable through windows. No need for a dipstick. The anti-freeze reservoir is under the seat, so it's easy to see by just popping the seat up. No need to remove any cowlings.
The pillion grab bar already sweeps into a rack ready to receive a top case adapter. No need to order an entirely new rack/grab-bar replacement.
All in all, it's a fabulously designed chassis. And, the farkle market for this bike is mind-bending...

- The fit and finish is excellent. In some ways, it *has* to be, since it has so much less plastic, but the wiring and plumbing are meticulous both outside and underneath the plastic that *is* there. Lots of room under the seat, and a very clean and open battery area to add distribution boxes, and other paraphernalia. Likewise, running wiring from the panel to the battery will be equally simple. Additionally, it would be a simple (and relatively inexpensive) matter to change the color of the bike, since the color is *only* on three cowls per side, all of which are easily removable. No decals, either on the plastic, or tank. (Same tank color on all the bikes -- and one of the colored cowls acts as tank side cover).

- Engine: This is a V-Twin 650. So, it has a really nice throaty sound. When you read the forums, exhaust upgrades are not heavily discussed, and it's not a bad-looking 2-1 exhaust. The power delivery (torque) is linear almost throughout. I *really* like that. If you look a dyno chart, it's almost perfectly flat across the chart, with no peaks or drop-offs, and you can tell when you wring it out. It pulls in *every* gear, and the 6-speed gearbox is about 1 gear taller than the FZ6R, with 6th being *very* tall. Rarely have to go there, except when highway cruising. You *do* feel the additional torque reserve on the Strom... Shifting is smooth. Similar to the FZ6R, but a little smoother in the low gears. The bike overall is just a bit buzzier than the 6R, but that's going to be the case, when you compare a V-Twin to an Inline-4. Gas mileage is *excellent*. I'm getting approximately 52mpg before really getting used to the bike's personality.

- Instrument panel: Love it. Analog tach, the rest is digital. TWO blinker signals, right and left, as it *should* be. Big, clear, gear indicator!! YES! Switchable clock and ambient temperature (as opposed to engine temp, which it also has). All settings are switchable with a toggle on the back side of the left handgrip... Not necessary to reach over the bars, to hit some little button. There's about a 7% speedo offset (sound familiar?). Not sure I want to change the gearing to fix that, so I might install a speedo-healer.

- Fun factor: Definitely on par with the FZ6R. Even though the Strom is an adventure bike, it's really designed for 90/10 street/off-road use. No heavy trails, but gravel, fire roads, etc. are fine (with a belly pan, and crash bars). So, it'll handle the twisties (I'm leaning it *almost* as much as the 6R, already), plus it has more of a capacity for long-distance touring (especially from a comfort factor), and off-road. I heard someone refer to it, aptly, as the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles...
I'm not sure I'd consider it as easy a bike to ride as the 6R, if only due to it's mere size, and height. It's a *big* bike... However, it's the exact same curb weight as the 6R, wet. Still would not recommend it as a first bike, to a new rider, as I might an FZ6R.
The Strom apparently has a *huge* following. (The service guy at my dealer rides one, and has already invited me out to ride. I've found about three Strom specific riding groups just in my area so far). So, the farkle market is enormous. Great... means I'll be broke the rest of the year... (But happy!).

Last edited:

baxim

I would've imagined that the seat would be a bit more comfortable since its so big. Specially if you are riding 2 up. I guess I was wrong.

BKP

what about the abs?
The seat *is* more comfortable than the stock on the FZ6R. That's why I put a Corbin on my 6R. And, it *is* bigger, and wider (as well for the pillion). However, it's still an OEM seat, which means sub-standard foam, and not the most ergonomic sculpting, so after a couple of hours today, I was feeling it.
I knew a new seat would be a given when I bought the bike.

From what I hear the ABS works great. I haven't been able to activate it yet... No extreme braking yet, and no rides in the wet. The one thing that a few Strom owners *don't* like is that a) you can't turn the ABS off, and b) the ABS is linked to both the front brakes *and* the rear. It's mostly the off-road riders that object to not being able to turn it off, however, the aftermarket has bypass switches for it... I don't have a problem with it not turning off, and I think I like the idea of it being linked to the rear as well. But, that's me, YMMV...

BTW, your 6R is an AWESOME bike... Had mine for two years before even considering a switch, and found it to be fun, bulletproof, and just a GREAT all-around street bike. The main reasons I moved to the Strom were 1) ergonomics (my 50-something bod needs a little more room); and 2) I've been thinking about doing some longer distance touring, and while MANY 6R riders have no issues with the multi-day rides, my joints are of another opinion... Additionally, I *never* had an issue with the 6R not having ABS. I believe that if you're situationally aware, and *assume* the worst around every blind turn, and intersection, then ABS is not even a factor...

Ride safe...

Last edited: