Need help with new gear

Taz

Hello everyone,

I am total newb to the cycle world and need some help in choosing some protective gear. I will be purchasing my first bike 09' FZ6R soon. I will be riding only in summer in North East about half hour to work and back. I have already bought a helmet. These are the items am look at so far at this site.

Joe Rocket Yamaha Delta R Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Joe Rocket Velocity Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Joe Rocket C.E. Back Protector - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Vega Sport II Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Thank you for the help.

Taz

Boots...too many choices but I saw you went for the cheapest 3/4 length sport boot they had.
Feet get abused in a crash badly so maybe upping the ante a bit might be prudent.
AXO Primato II $132.99
AXO Primato II Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Sidi Fusion $200.00 or
then jump up to Alpenstars S-MX-5 at $219.00

The jacket seems a little heavy for summer usage. Maybe a mesh would better suit you. They all come with back protection BTW so the back protector is not needed. If you want to add a racing back protector then maybe one of these? It has a kidney belt built in as well. Like a girdle hold in the beer belly...LOL
Velocity Gear - Motorcycle Body Armor & Motorcycle Gloves - Protective Gear

The Velocity gloves aren't gauntlet....not what I'd use....
I use these. Leather for nights and mesh during the day. I have 5 pairs....love them.
leather
MOTORCYCLE GLOVES CARBON KEVLAR LEATHER BLACK
mesh
CARBON KEVLAR Motorcycle Mesh & Leather Race Gloves

I too, would recommend a mesh jacket if you will only be riding your bike in the summer. Just make sure you get one that has a removeable liner that you can use if you decide to ride when it gets a bit cooler.

If you want to stay with the Joe Rocket line, I have the
Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket and am very happy with it.

Congrats on the new bike and welcome! :)

I have the Vega Sport II boots, and they are a very decent starter sport boot- tho they aren't great. To explain, after about a year they can begin to get slightly flimsly in some areas. But they are comfortable, cheap, and protect fairly well... I've been riding over a year on the same pair now. And, recently I had to do a very minor self repair on the velcro area and ankle seam, which came loose just a little bit. But, after I applied some general bonding compound (ie super glue from hardware store) and taped it up with painters tape & set it to dry overnight, they've never frayed again. I even purposely kicked them really hard and bend them, and still holding up great.

Whatever you buy- pants & jacket etc. Just remember motorcycle clothing should fit very snug so that it doesnt' flap around in the wind. Also, you didn't list any lower body gear there- which you absolutely will need! Most ppl make the mistake of only buying upper body gear, but it's your legs, hips, knees, and shins that can get banged up the most in a fall. If you're on a budget, look for some Kevlar-lined jeans, armored shorts, and impact-absorbing knee guards. Or, even better, get some armor & padded riding pants. You will not regret it. Alpine stars makes some very affordable armor in this area, but Knox is even better.

Re: jackets... If you're interested in saving some money, I have a brand new Fieldsheer Johnny Jacket that I'm willing to sell cheap. I already cut the tags off, but it's basically brand spanking new. I also bought and installed a CE-certified back protector for it too, which I will include. I ended up finding a Fieldsheer Flex leather jacket that I liked more, so just never got around to wearing the Johnny Jacket- even tho it's a great looking textile jacket imo.

Here's the link to my ad. I will go lower on the price for you if you are interested, so don't worry about that part. Just look at the pictures and see if you like it and if it's the right size etc. And, if you like it then PM me... :)

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f34/sale...hnny-cool-textile-jacket-38-small-blue-20711/

Either way, you don't need to go broke to get decent protection. Good common sense and riding carefully goes a long way above all...

Last edited:
Thank you all for the recommendations. The bike color is Team Yamaha Blue/white.

It seems like size 9 in oxo II are out of stock.

John, is there any particular brand Mesh jacket I should go with?

Detrich, Ty. But I don't think I can fit into that jacket. My chest is 41-42, 5'10 & W. 163lb.

FZ6R-Canada, Ty for the suggestion. I was just going with that line because the site recommended it. Any good protective gear will do.

Chad, good to see that there are FZ6 riders close by. What size and color are the gloves? I am trying to stay with the black/blue or white/blue color scheme.

I bought a few different mesh jackets and I liked the Speed and Strength Twist of Fate the best. FirstGear fits like a burlap sack.....
I did upgrade the back protector to CE and put in hard shoulder and elbow pads as an upgrade that I got from jackets4bikes.com. It fits excellent and there is a snap above the elbow that fits the jacket so it won't allow the pad to roll away if you crash. I liked it so much I bought one for my son as well. I did buy it on sale at motorcycle-superstore.com for $66.98 including shipping. If I had bought both jackets together, shipping would have been free. They were $59.99 on 09/09/2010.

Speed and Strength Twist of Fate Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

Thank you all for the recommendations. The bike color is Team Yamaha Blue/white.

It seems like size 9 in oxo II are out of stock.

John, is there any particular brand Mesh jacket I should go with?

Detrich, Ty. But I don't think I can fit into that jacket. My chest is 41-42, 5'10 & W. 163lb.

FZ6R-Canada, Ty for the suggestion. I was just going with that line because the site recommended it. Any good protective gear will do.

Chad, good to see that there are FZ6 riders close by. What size and color are the gloves? I am trying to stay with the black/blue or white/blue color scheme.

I have never liked any of the Joe Rocket stuff I had. It gets pretty mixed reviews.

Don't bother with any textile gear that is lighter than 500 Denier. If it can't give you the specs for that, don't buy it.

For textile jackets I like Teknic, Fieldsheer and Cortech.

Finding good gloves drives me nuts ~ these days I have a pair of Olympia 711 Gel Reflector Gloves; still looking for something warmer and/or waterproof when I get caught in the rain on a trip.

I like my Icon Motorhead boots ~ easy to put on and off, comfortable to walk around in and they've always kept my feet dry except for riding in the biggest storm of the season last year [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkfy7klBqv4&feature=related"]YouTube - Hail storm destroys roof on University of Calgary greenhouse (original video)[/ame]

The SIDI ON ROAD SYMPATEX BOOT is the only truly waterproof boot you can buy.

I have a pair of Teknic Typhoon overpants. Still looking for something nicer than overpants over jeans, though. Maybe something like this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/9/14503/ITEM/Klim-Baja-Pants---2010.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Last edited:
You forgot about your legs! Regular jeans aren't going to give ANY protection. I wear Tourmaster Caliber textile overpants over my jeans (or over shorts in the summer). They still are a little warm when the temps get above 85 and not the best for just casual town riding, but for commuting and weather protection, they have been great. They also have armor in the knees and hips. At the minimum, look at getting some kevlar motorcycle jeans or some textile mesh overpants for summer riding.

Also, I have a Tourmaster Intake mesh jacket that I use year round. It has three liners... an insulated liner, a wind/water liner and then the mesh itself. I ride with it into the mid 20's with all the liners in and over 100 with all the liners out. Very versatile type of jacket. I just bought a leather jacket this past December, but haven't used it yet, due to the wet weather.

Last edited:
Hit up Jon Kerr. I think he was selling some used jacket after he lost weight

Just an FYI.

I would go with a Textile jacket over a Mesh jacket any day. On a fall Mesh will melt right into your skin.

Food for thought

Thanks again guys for all the great info. I picked up the bike yesterday:) and I ordered Fieldsheer - Corsair Sport Jacket(textile).

I went out today and bought a pair of Bilt Blaze Mesh Pants and Bilt Trackstar Boots. Relatively fair priced and must admit am happy with them both. Been doing quite a bit of commuting so figured I needed so better riding gear.....

I just received the Shogun Sliders. I was about to put them on today but discovered I didn't have any Hex sockets for the torque wrench. :( Just ordered a set via Sears.

Also, got the Diadora Boulevard boots for now.

Diadora Mens Boulevard Boot Competition Accessories

Pants:Shift Lodown Mens Kevlar Reinforced Jeans
2009 Shift Mens Lodown Jean Competition Accessories

Fieldsheer Corsair Sport Jacket
Fieldsheer Corsair Sport Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Now, I need rider pegs. I hate the OEM ones.

I am looking at these. Any Suggestions?

Pro-Tek Pro-Lite Passenger Footpegs - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Yana Shiki Billet Aluminum Foot Pegs - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Competition Werkes GP Footpeg - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

or Ebay:99-09 Yamaha YZF R6 Peg Set Blue Foot Pegs

99-09 Yamaha YZF R6 Peg Set Blue Foot Pegs - (item 170345430245 end time Apr-07-11 13:05:51 PDT)

Thanks,

Taz

My favorite mesh jacket <--- click the link

I would try this one, I was going to post the rockstar one I have as well but I cant find it anywhere thAT still has em in stock :eek:

Back