My new track bike :D

S

SovietRobot

Good progress update!

Can't wait to see the finished plastics.

Cali rider

Will do Rob, np! If you can take a day off, it`s going to be on Friday the 13th.... yeah, I know....

crazybiker: yeah, what Dako said! :)

Cmayer31: you'll have a blast, but you'll also be pissed not to be able to ride!!! The track is indeed great to play with the SLR, but depending on the track, you'd better have a 300mm zoom... (unless they let you walk around freely)...
Hey guys, you can circle the entire perimeter at Willow Springs, walking OR driving. At the top of the hill you can see the entire 2.5 mile course without any obstructions. Be aware of the $10 gate fee per person, 7 days a week.

And Rob, I'll be at Buttonwillow this Saturday March 7 for a different track event. If you are up for it you are more than welcome to drive up with me. Call or PM if you are interested.

Wavex

looking good! What color are you going to paint it?
Good question! I would love to be able to do something fancy like the gixxer track bikes below, but since it'll eventually get dropped, I don't want to spend any money on the paintjob :)

View attachment 13475

View attachment 13476

View attachment 13477

My friend who owns a hotrod shop is willing to do them all for $100... 1 color only though, nothing fancy... so I am thinking cheap glossy black paint... not the expensive hotrod glossy black I had on the FZ6s though... it'll be more like the $10 enamel (but sprayed on the bike using his paint gun... no rattle can).

Attachments

D

dako81

Don't just get black. Get a color to compliment or contrast your Buell. But I guess if you really want black, get it. It should look good either way.

Wavex

Well part of the reasoning to get black is that the gas tank is black... and I don't want to repaint it... maybe I should do a Ducati red or something... red & black would look good :)

Hellgate

Bright F*in yellow!

That way they will see you comin.

-bryan
Okay here it comes......when he's sliding after the crash!

Sorry Wavex, I will now go away...

Wavex

:Flip:

more progress! here is the updated list:

1 chain/sprockets: inspect/clean/adjust: DONE!
2 check battery: DONE!
3 drain fuel from tank DONE!
4 oil + filter change DONE!
5 replace all coolant hoses DONE!
6 replace fuel line DONE!
7 flush cooling system (use water wetter) DONE!
8 change fork oil: DONE!
9 check steering head bearings and re-pack grease: DONE!
10 check/replace air filter DONE!
11 fix handlebar end (right side is loose): DONE!
12 replace spark plugs: DONE!
13 re-build front brake
14 check valves and adjust: DONE!
15 find and fix the electrical turn signal issue DONE!
16 check/adjust engine idle speed
17 check/adjust clutch cable: DONE!
18 check/torque main bolts
19 lub control levers + brake pedal, gear shift and side stand pivots
20 install track plastics

Almost there!

In order to to flush the water system (did it 3 times) and change the oil and filter, I had to be able to run the engine, so I put the airbox back on, along with the gas tank and battery... I did not know if the bike would run without the speedo, but I was glad to find out it works.

With all the maintenance, the bike runs SMOOTH! Start up smooth too. :rockon:

Getting the tires swapped early next week (putting pilot powers from Buell on Gixxer).
Hopefully I can get the track plastic on the bike somehow tomorrow (Still need to find an online instruction manual for that) :D

C

Cmayer31

Awesome job Wavex. I grew up working on various cars and helping my dad out, but for some reason I just love how the bikes look when they're being worked on. It's like seeing a race bike in the pits and knowing it's it's so close to ride time.

I say make it a police themed bike with pearl white plastics, black tank, and black wheels. ;)

Can't wait to see it all buttoned up and ready to ride. :rockon:

Wavex

Thanks man! It is close to race time indeed... D-5!!!! We're going on Friday so I need to crank it out...

and it's coming along... I just finished the plastics, except for securing the rear section, which is easy... The side and lower plastics were quite a bitch to match up, and the fit is loose (had to be very patient), and some parts are not lined up perfectly, but I don't care it looks good enough! I actually expected worse considering what I had read online about the hotbodies...

So now I just need to build up a couple of custom mounting brackets for the speedo, rebuild the front master cylinder, put knew brake pads and seals in the front calipers and install the Galfer lines in the front... Hopefully John will be able to spend an evening here to help me with all that :rockon:
After that I will take care of the tire situation on Monday/Tuesday and the bike should be operational for D-Day!!!

This is where the speedo will be located (approximately, using the front stay bracket as a mount)

Hellgate

Its coming along very nicely David. :thumbup:

Do you need a steering damper for the little Gixer? The suspension looks first rate, that boxed swing arm is very nice, and of course you gotta love a USD fork. I bet it feels very solid.

Nice job! :rockon:

Wavex

Its coming along very nicely David. :thumbup:

Do you need a steering damper for the little Gixer? The suspension looks first rate, that boxed swing arm is very nice, and of course you gotta love a USD fork. I bet it feels very solid.

Nice job! :rockon:
Thanks bro! I am stoked about the whole thing! heh

About your question:

:rockon:

R

rsw81

Hey David, if you want some company this week while working on it, call me up. I should be available after normal business hours and can pack up some wrenches to give you a hand.

BTW I went and looked at the Street Triple R yesterday and it is amazing! Test ride is scheduled for sometime in the next week or two... need to get a helmet (or borrow) first.

Wavex

Hey David, if you want some company this week while working on it, call me up. I should be available after normal business hours and can pack up some wrenches to give you a hand.

BTW I went and looked at the Street Triple R yesterday and it is amazing! Test ride is scheduled for sometime in the next week or two... need to get a helmet (or borrow) first.

Hey Rob, they're going to let you ride the Triumph? bastard :D They would not let me ride any of the triples when I was on the market...

John and I should be working on the bike either tonight or tomorrow, so if you want to come hang out and have dinner with us you are very welcome to! I'll let you know when John confirms... I'll get some steaks so we can bbq :rockon:

C

Chris

I'm loving the bike Wavex! One of my dream bikes in fact... And you're just going to abuse it at the tracks...:eek: :disapprove:

S

SovietRobot

I wanna see what you can do with that beast at the track!
Get pictures too

R

rsw81

Got to see the bike tonight while David and John rebuilt the front brakes... it's going to be awesome on a track. If anyone feels like playing hooky on Friday, I've got extra seats on my car for the trip up from OC/LA to Willow Springs for the day.:cheer: