my license plate

bmw675

here's my issue.
whats the cause, whats the solution?

ive read where other people have had this happen, but this much??

porky45

suspension is too soft. stiffen it up. as for bending back... set it in a vice and use 2 sets of pliers to bend it back. That's what worked well for me.

Detrich

Wow that's nuts...

bmw675

suspension is too soft. stiffen it up. as for bending back... set it in a vice and use 2 sets of pliers to bend it back. That's what worked well for me.
im 165 lbs, the preload is on 4. any suggestions??

JSP

Super Moderator
Only thing ive seen do that is having the rear preload too soft and/or riding two up with it two soft. It definitely hit the tire, so stiffen the rear up and maybe bend the plate at a better angle?

porky45

im 165 lbs, the preload is on 4. any suggestions??
did you hit a speed bump or a big pothole or something? I had mine set to 4 when i was riding 2 up, hit an intersection at a weird angle and that's how i bent mine, but at 174 i've never encountered a problem like that. bend it back and make it a bit more horizontal if possible.

bmw675

the road was a little rought but nothing significant. yesterday i hit a monster pot hole, but i didn't notice it before i went out today. ive tried to 'imitate' what travel it might have. ive literally jumped up and down on the seat and i couldn't get it to come anywhere close. ill try moving it up to 5 and see what happens.
it couldn't be from acceleration or cornering could it?

porky45

the road was a little rought but nothing significant. yesterday i hit a monster pot hole, but i didn't notice it before i went out today. ive tried to 'imitate' what travel it might have. ive literally jumped up and down on the seat and i couldn't get it to come anywhere close. ill try moving it up to 5 and see what happens.
it couldn't be from acceleration or cornering could it?
no. the only way it could from cornering is if you hit a massive pothole, or an unexpected bump that kicked your back tire up while in the middle of a corner. I tried the same thing as you with trying a re-enactment and couldn't do it either.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Is the bike lowered?

At 160 (with or without gear) you are over the sprung weight of the bike. You can take this up to 6 or 7 without a problem.

This can happen more pronounced in cornering. The G-forces at work compress the shock quite a bit and even a mediocre bump will put the travel at the top and nab the plate in the process.

What FE kit is that? I ask because if I get one for my wife, I don't want the one you have, ;)

Spunky99

That is crazy...I hope that doesn't happen to me....

I see a lot of bikes here in So CA with this setup. I don't know how legal it is.

Attachments

dolfan

Seems like the bracket is in too far, should be 1"-2" longer.

rjsantana20

I'm loving this forum more and more every time I click into it. I have the Comp Werks FE and the first time I took out the bike, I came home with the bottom 1/2 inch of the plate curled in. Not as bad as BMW but it did curl. I began thinking that I straightened out the bracket too much. Then I began thinking that the spinning rear wheel while riding cause a vortex of air that touched on the bottom tip of the plate and curled it in.

I like explanation #2. Sounds more plausible...

MikeN02

That is crazy...I hope that doesn't happen to me....

I see a lot of bikes here in So CA with this setup. I don't know how legal it is.
seen that, actualy not mounted as professionally as take, just kind of jammed it deep in there and hidden behind the wheel.

I have mine mounted at an angle just for stuff against that. My bike is lowered and worst case that would happen is the plate jam straight into the tire and cause your tire to blow.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

From what I've been told, those aren't legal in CA. I was told the plate had to be even with, or, extended further back behind the rear axle.
I don't know the law on that John but I tend to agree with you that it needs to more visible and extended back further. When I look for a definition it just says have to have a turn indicator and no specifics.
Also the ones I've seen on the Ninjas have little tiny turn LEDs on each side of the plate and a tiny LED above.
Looked dangerous to me as NO Grandma is going to pay attention to the turn LED all buried under there.

I went the normal FE and good bright turn signals for safety.

Attachments

Last edited:

bmw675

Is the bike lowered?

At 160 (with or without gear) you are over the sprung weight of the bike. You can take this up to 6 or 7 without a problem.

This can happen more pronounced in cornering. The G-forces at work compress the shock quite a bit and even a mediocre bump will put the travel at the top and nab the plate in the process.

What FE kit is that? I ask because if I get one for my wife, I don't want the one you have, ;)
its not lowered. at it is the targa fe. when i got it last year, it was the one alot of people on here had used with success...on a positive note, the FE didn't bend at all. :rolleyes: i bent the plat back out and up a little more than it was before.

to get it to the position the plate was in, it had to almost rub the 'fender well', im guessing within a 1/2" of rubbing. im just glad the pic i put up didnt show my chicken strips :D