My first time being a sweeper

Stricken

The rider on the KLX is fairly new to motorcycles so he stayed in the middle of the group. He had a couple of oh sh!t moments but overall he did fine. Being a sweeper is hard work and kind of dangerous.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJKZt3ox7Js]YouTube - Ride to Katy 3/17/2011[/ame]

MikeN02

Yeah it is, but I kind of like doing it.

Staying in the back to help out the newbs, keep head count etc. I stayed in the back with a newer rider out one night and good thing I did. We got separated from the group because of a light and I'm sure he would have panic if he was by himself.

Sparkxx1

what's a sweeper exactly I took a ride today with a friend, but we're both noobs. Anything in particular I should pay attention to or watch out for while riding with another person?

MikeN02

what's a sweeper exactly I took a ride today with a friend, but we're both noobs. Anything in particular I should pay attention to or watch out for while riding with another person?
Sweeper is basically what it sounds like. A "sweeper" broom.

Basically what it is is while you're riding with a group or so you're the person who keeps check on everyone. Kind of like a teacher for kindergärtners.

You keep headcount of everyone, make sure no one gets left behind, signal people, let the leader know things, and overall make sure everyone is "in line"

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

PWJ

I was taught as well that any new riders or inexperienced riders should always be at the front or leading the pac or riders. Since they are first they ride at their comfort level and others follow otherwise if they are in the back and others push themselves the new rider will try to keep up and that will not end good. Best advice I heard from my friend an msf course instructor

Stricken

raven6

that dude needs to get into the MSF course ASAP...!!! he's a accident waiting to happen... and if he has taken the course he needs to do a lot more work around the neighborhood or in an empty parking lot... do the guy a favor and keep him off the highway...

Stricken

that dude needs to get into the MSF course ASAP...!!! he's a accident waiting to happen... and if he has taken the course he needs to do a lot more work around the neighborhood or in an empty parking lot... do the guy a favor and keep him off the highway...
Excellent suggestion. Not only is he a danger to himself but to the sweeper as well (which is me).:thumbup:

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
To be completely honest, I would never ride with the guy on the KLX...not until he became a more proficient rider.

NoDoze

I hope since this video was posted that the KLX rider has taken MSF and practiced a lot in a controlled environment like a parking lot (or at least got a few pointers from you guys and read a lot about motorcycle survival :D).

We were all new riders once so I'm sure we understand how it is to be like him. Hope he has gotten a lot better at riding.

CrazyCawi

looks like you all had a fun ride with some eventful mishaps but all went well :) Keep ur buddy safe!!!

Bigevildoer

Not to be an ass, but did anyone else notice the myriad of problems with the entire group, not just the noob?

Leader chose to ride in passing lane for much of the ride, even when slow lane was open.
Leader chose wrong track in lane often.
Noob, well, just won't go there - pretty obvious all in all.
Sweeper didn't leave proper following distance for much of the ride (blatantly obvious when the noob stalled, and the sweeper had to turn hard left to avoid a rear-ender).
Sweeper didn't choose proper blocking position -- you said you knew the KLX rider was a noob, so it really falls on you to help protect him.
Sweeper blew past noob more than once. Sure, it's fun, but you're completely missing the point and responsibility of the sweeper.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help people be better riders. It's super easy picking out the noob's mistakes while glossing over the other riders'.

elikhom

Enjoyed the vid a lot. With you help your buddy is going to improve very fast, if he hasn't done so yet. Props for been patient.