How to swap forks from a yzf600r to an fz6r

Recvery

Got the bright idea to use my other yamaha's forks and did the swap. This is simple write up being that ill probly forget something, but if you have questions ill do my best to provide details.

Ive thought about swapping some of the parts from the 600r a couple of times in the past, but the bike was still running strong and the details of the swap were blowing my mind. Playing with suspension scares me sometimes, and the parts werent meant for the fz. So all of this combined was enough to stop me.

Then this happened...
View attachment 33038

Guy i sold it to only pays half, and wrecks it, and cracked the blocked behind the stator cover. No more go, but now i can steal her adjustable forks :D Normally i would leave the fz like it is, but the fz has blown fork seal and swapping is less messy than doing fork seals.

I gathered some general info on fork diameter and length, and came up with a few problems. Good news first, the fork diameters are the same (41mm) and after a look i saw the brake lines have the same ends. The fz6r's fork is about 2.5/3 inches shorter than the yzf but theres a good bit of space under the fz bars. At this point my only concerns were not being able to use my fz wheel with the forks and brakes. Did i mention the yzf has 4 piston brembo brakes?? Yeah those are coming too :)

View attachment 33039

My first step in this was to dismantle the front end of the yzf. The bikes missing the front fairings so it was relatively easy in this case. I ended up hanging the bike from my carport with a tie down strap :eek:
I shouldve snapped some pics of this, but i got excited lol

-Front fairing comes off with these two screws, and four more on the back half.DSC00406000.jpg

- detach all the brake lines connected to the forks and pull off the calipers (just let em hang for now)

- Take the wheel off

- Loosen the pinch bolts on the forks with some allen keys. each side has a bolt on the clip-on, and one bolt on each of the triple trees.

- At this point i tried rotating the forks with no avail. A little WD on the triples and the forks slid right on out. IMG_1193.jpg

Now the fz6r.

Fender, calipers, pinch bolts, cut zip ties, pull the wheel, all that good stuff.

- Twist out the old forks, clean the new ones, and slide em up.

- The yzf forks are longer and stuck out above the triple tree, but just under the bars. At first i had the forks as high as i could get them to account for the difference in length, but the forks wouldnt allow for proper movement of the throttle cables when turning extreme left. (i have aftermarket bars so its already a stretch)
IMG_1202.jpg

- Dropped the forks to 2 1/4 inches from the top of the triple tree to the notch on the forks. Now i can turn left without dying.. WOOT! Sits a bit higher but im thinkin i can adjust for that?

- Snug up the pinch bolts

So one of my concerns from the beginning was not being able to use the nicer tire already on the fz rim, because i figured the rotors may be different and they aren't interchangeable from rim to rim. Turns out the sizes are exactly the same, so on goes the fz rim.

IMG_1211000.jpg

The pic above shows the washers i had to use to evenly fill the space left over between the fork and rim on the axle. I dont know exactly why theres a space here, but im guessing the other rim is wider and maybe the triple trees on the yzf are more narrow.

Now that its snugged and spinning freely, its time to see how the brakes fit. I originally took the complete brake line and caliper and handle off the yzf intending to swap it all over without cracking and brake lines and having to bleed. But the brake lines were too short... So instead i swapped the brembo calipers onto the fz brake lines. (same fittings)

Writing this write-up is making me sleeeeepy lol

Btw dont try to spread the brake pads without a brake line on the caliper... brake fluid is not a tasty liquid :cool: or at least try not to aim at your face.

Ok with the caliper just sittin on the rotors of the fz rim, theres a good half inch gap between the caliper and the form mount. More washers and some longer caliper bolts (i know there m10 and fine pitch but not sure if 1.25, 1.50, ect.. just take the old bolt to the hardware store and compare)

IMG_1222000.jpg

The point here is to get the rotor centered in the middle of the caliper, so it doesn't rub the caliper, and the pads wear correctly. just play with different washer combos on the top bolt of each caliper (each side was different for me), and copy them to the bottom bolt.

double check your controls, cables, pinch bolts and brake lines. anything you might have hand tightened and forgotten . Also the DIRECTION OF THE TIRE... I put it on backwards myself :rolleyes:

Bleed the brakes and do another once over.

IMG_1260.jpg

Been riding it for a day or two and theres a HUGE difference! I havent tuned the forks yet (Gotta find a howto), but she feels more stable and sticky on the curvy's. Brakes are like OH MY GOD better. They have a more gradual, light but reactive grab. Ill experiment with other master cylinders and lines later on but for now im still better off. Im thinking of swapping the rear shock for the yzf's adjustable ohlins. Too sleepy to type more. Questions comment and concerns are welcome.

Attachments

Bert-Aus

Just be careful with the adjustment of your front compression/ dampening.

*Have you tested how much travel you have in the suspension?

As you have mounted the forks quite high in the triple. As FZ6R/ R6 triples are different head heights.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Recvery

Would it be easier to just use the 600r's bikes front rim and whole front brake setup? Maybe even use the 600r clip-ons.
It may very well be. I didnt use it because the space left over between the axle and fork was smaller with the fz rim, and the yzf rim has the speedo sensor thing on one side. But you could probably get it to work. From what i could see, the clipons from the yzf would hit the fairings, meanin i would have to make her naked, or start cutting fairings. This is all possible, but i like the bar height on the Fz, so i stuck with it.

Recvery

Just be careful with the adjustment of your front compression/ dampening.

*Have you tested how much travel you have in the suspension?

As you have mounted the forks quite high in the triple. As FZ6R/ R6 triples are different head heights.

Just to clarify, Its NOT an R6. Its a yzf600r (thundercat). My method of testing travel was rocking the bike back and forth with the front brakes on. It seems to move just like the fz forks, but stiffer. I've also been paying attention to the forks while im riding, and i havent noticed anything out of the ordinary. Is there a better way to check travel?? What exactly am i looking for?

Bert-Aus

Oops my bad
Need to check what point they bottom out too, pumping while stationary will only show so much dependant on how strong/ heavy you are.

Another thing that may be worth considering is changing the springs out.
If they are original springs, they are atleast 16 + years old.
Just take it easy for first couple rides, and play with adjustments umtil it feels right.
If they require max settings to feel right, replace the springs for new.

abyss1406

this is a pretty bad *** swap

Recvery

this is a pretty bad *** swap
Thanks man! Still havent gotten around to the rear yet. I was taking a look at the shock mounts and bolt sizes to see if it would just bolt up, of course not. however, the top bolt of the yzf shock looks the same size as the bottom bolt on the Fz, and vice versa. If it is such, i could just flip the yzf shock and bolt on. Do shocks work upside down???

bowie

Hey this is good to know Is there a wiki someone is keeping about all this? From what I can gather there have been a few interested in getting those better brakes onto our steeds.

*goes shopping for a busted thundercat*

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

W0rp3D

Im a bit late on this but just wondering how the forks went long term and how the rear shock went?
Just so happens that i have a 94 yzf600r in the garage that has been put into retirement and im looking for a rear spring upgrade but cant seem to find any options.

Thanks man! Still havent gotten around to the rear yet. I was taking a look at the shock mounts and bolt sizes to see if it would just bolt up, of course not. however, the top bolt of the yzf shock looks the same size as the bottom bolt on the Fz, and vice versa. If it is such, i could just flip the yzf shock and bolt on. Do shocks work upside down???

cinco

another fz with 600r forks

i have too done the swap and its working out fine. i wreced the fz. bent the forks and rim so the 600r came in clutch ☺
:zombie: