My beloved Rossi

CrazyCawi

i don't think he is selfish, i just don't think he is acting like a past champion at this point. i don't mean the riding itself, i mean what is being reported, and yeah guess that could be a lot of neg. press

at honda he had a great bike, and was able... then yamaha he had a decent starting point and developed the bike... now, if he was that good why can't he... the bike excuse only goes so far. there has to be more to it. any decent rider can do well on a good bike. it takes a lot more to achieve the same results with a bad bike. it's really kinda early but for right now doesn't appear things will change.

you think duc is gonna keep paying him top $ with these results, maybe 1 more year at most. if the CRT teams start to be so close and hayden ends up placing better then what?

Rossi learned two important but disturbing things at that test: the first was that the Ducati was a much, much worse bike than he had expected. Stoner’s brilliance and the genius of his crew chief Cristian Gabbarini had flattered the machine, disguising its massive weakness. The second was that Casey Stoner had to be a much, much better rider than he thought if the Australian had managed to be competitive on the bike that had so shaken Rossi’s confidence.
The latest iteration of the GP12 – the bike completely redesigned from the ground up between the Valencia test in 2011 and Sepang in 2012 – does at least respond to setup changes in a way that previous Ducatis never have, but the core of the problem remains: a lack of feel from the front end, and a tendency to run wide in the corners. The bike is better, but it still has the fundamental flaws that the Desmosedici has had in every iteration since its inception. Despite all of the testing Rossi has done, despite all of the feedback he has given Ducati, real change is yet to come.
And so Valentino Rossi learned a second important but disturbing lesson: The state the Ducati was in when he inherited from Casey Stoner had nothing to do with the Australian’s development skills, and everything to do with Ducati’s attitude. Whether Stoner can develop a bike or not is unknown, for his input was either ignored or misinterpreted at Ducati. That was one of the reasons that Stoner himself had cited for leaving the factory. “I asked Ducati so often for changes,” Stoner told the press after he had joined HRC, “But we never got them. The bike we started the season on was what we had to work with all year.”
was as polite and as measured as all of his responses have been since joining the Italian marque – that Ducati had not given him the bike that he wanted, and that he simply could not be competitive on the machine he had to work with. His frustration was apparent, saying that he had considered pulling in, but had continued out of respect for his mechanics and crew. Hope had died in 2011, he said. “Ducati did not follow the direction I have tried to steer them in. I am not an engineer, and I cannot solve every problem.”

Here is the exact reason why rossi will NOT be leaving ducati

The chances of Rossi getting out of the contract without suffering major financial consequences are nonexistent. Not only would the Italian have to forfeit his salary for this year, but penalty clauses for damages would probably also put a sizable dent in Rossi’s personal fortune. An early exit would damage all three parties: Rossi, for giving up on the contract so early in the season; Ducati, for failing to give a proven champion a winning bike; and Marlboro, for backing a losing combination, and being associated with failure.

but then Speculation has been running rife since last week, and given that almost every rider in MotoGP is out of contract at the end of 2012, the possibilities seem endless.

Doncan

Both Rossi and Hayden had expressed that the Ducati needs desperately to smooth the power delivery so they can put it to the ground more effectively. Rossi mentioned that the bike has lots of power but technicians want to rely too much on the traction control to try to tame the bike and that's hurting a lot...

CrazyCawi

also something with the front end needs adjusted so they stop landing corners wide

CrazyCawi

(bigger) balls ?
at those speeds bigger balls has no bearing on what the bike is capable of....if your input is what its calls for but the bike reacts differently then the output is suppose to be it needs fine tuned. When you corner at those speeds and ride like they do....let me know how well the balls worked to get you there. :rolleyes:

Detrich

If I ran over the head of my best friend and killed him in a freak accident, I'd prolly sit out the next season and spend some time away. But, that's just me...

Objectively, in the past, Rossi's opponents were relatively not as competitive for him. But, now he's gotta contend with both Stoner and Lorenzo. Definitely not the same as competing with Biaggi or Gibernau, who he always was able to beat.

Plus, now the bike is a mess too. I think as a team Rossi & crew underestimated how difficult it would be to get the Ducuti to where they need it to be.

Oh well...

Last edited:

Doncan

My point of view is that the Japanese motorcycles are very similar in the way they perform and react to changes in setup. That's why it was relatively easy for Rossi and his crew chief to succeed when changing from Honda to Yamaha. Now, Ducati is a whole different animal so most likely the formula that used to work on the Honda and Yamaha does not necessarily will work on the Italian beast. So maybe they need to clear their minds and start viewing things from a different perspective. Like I said, just my point of view...

CrazyCawi

My point of view is that the Japanese motorcycles are very similar in the way they perform and react to changes in setup. That's why it was relatively easy for Rossi and his crew chief to succeed when changing from Honda to Yamaha. Now, Ducati is a whole different animal so most likely the formula that used to work on the Honda and Yamaha does not necessarily will work on the Italian beast. So maybe they need to clear their minds and start viewing things from a different perspective. Like I said, just my point of view...
I think thats what they did by going to a completely new setting field for this past race and rossi went in blind. It was very beneficial and Rossi started to get more comfortable and moved up what 4-5 spots in the runnings?

Doncan

That's what I also read and hopefully he and his team can start moving in the right direction. Nothing but respect and admiration for the kid...

Detrich

I thought he moved up only cuz a lotta guys sat out practice sessions to save tires... LOL. :(

Detrich

Wow. Great article. Am looking fwd to this weekends race in Estoril. :)

Doncan

I just hope this article will help some people understand that is not that Vale has lost his edge, it's just that the Desmo is a BRUTAL bike and Ducati is trying to control it by way of too much electronics intervention instead of refining it...

Fizzer6R

I just hope this article will help some people understand that is not that Vale has lost his edge, it's just that the Desmo is a BRUTAL bike and Ducati is trying to control it by way of too much electronics intervention instead of refining it...
maybe i'm missing something, the article, and all the rest on this, say basically the same thing - he keeps saying he has to adapt to the bike, and yet still doesn't or can't.

"Rossi admitted that he owed much of the progress to adapting Hayden’s settings" - then if vale is suppose to be such a good rider to dial in bikes, why can't he?

Doncan

Yes he said that and also: "Rossi and Hayden agree that the solution will come from something more than electronics, possibly the chassis, but certainly the engine. Hayden said that the he needs to be “able to use our engine and we have a fast engine, but by the time you dial in so much wheelie control and anti-spin to make it stop pumping, it’s really only fast at the end of the back straightaway. So we need to be able to smooth out the power, take away the wheelie control, take away the electronics and really be able to use the grunt of this engine.”

Last edited:

Detrich

Fizzer6R

wow CC is gonna be happy today with the race results, if he isn't still too drunk from last night/this morning :iconbeer: