MPH guage wrong, any fixes?

Newmason

I had my g/f ride next to me on the highway last night, while I did some speed verification, and my speed showed I was doing 80mph when really I was only doing 73! I could understand 1 to 2 clicks off, but not 7mph off. Does this sound normal? Any fixes? Other than the speed issue I am getting some amazing gas-mileage of about 159 160 before the F-trip clicks on!

Mph

I put a GPS nav on mine to check this very thing. I rode a long time this way, and the bike read 2 mph faster than the GPS constistantly. Never any more or less, always 2 mph.

speedo healer... they are about 100 bucks. I purchased one when i did my sprocket change. It takes a couple test runs to get the calibration right, but once everything is correct it's pretty nice. I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting one unless it bugs you THAT much, or you are changing out your gearing.

Also, having your MPH guage showing higher will also give you a higher odometer reading when it comes time for re-sale.
As I've posted before, no, that's not necessarily the case. My speedo reads high like everyone else's, but my odometer is accurate.

Now, if you intall a "healer" to correct the speedo, the odometer will read low. I don't know how much leeway there is before this would be considered illegal tampering.

I had my g/f ride next to me on the highway last night, while I did some speed verification, and my speed showed I was doing 80mph when really I was only doing 73! I could understand 1 to 2 clicks off, but not 7mph off. Does this sound normal? Any fixes? Other than the speed issue I am getting some amazing gas-mileage of about 159 160 before the F-trip clicks on!

Speedohealer or a +1 sprocket on the front will fix it up.

1 tooth larger on the sproket will help this? AWESOME

this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum...sounds like all bikes are over reading on the speedo. I know for sure that my odometer also reding higher than a friends VFR800 for the same distance.

I think a +1 front gives you close to perfect from what I've been told. I'm planning on -2 or -3 rear to do the same and gear higher slightly. I've been worried about the extra wheelbase and chain length on the -3 rear. Prob just go -2.

Also, having your MPH guage showing higher will also give you a higher odometer reading when it comes time for re-sale.

That's why I try and ride backwards every now and then to get the mileage down! :D Got the idea off of Ferris Buellers Day Off.

THIS IS JUST FCKN STUPID I must say!! yes us STUPID MotorCICLE people just want to speed..thats why I buy bikes...to go super fast all the time!!

SOmeone in NYS must have designed this and came up with the concept!!!

Just stupid....... When I found this out no WONDER when I was DOING THE SPEED limit people were very irritated with me and passing me...

IMO its almost dangerous to us to do this to the bikes!!

OK Done ranting !!

Back