FZ6R vs. FZ07 vs. FZ09

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Qrider682

I agreed that the FZ-07 is a much better bike for beginner or short people. I test rode it a couple of weeks ago. I am only 5'6 135lbs and it's a piece of cake to ride it. Not a fan of the engine's vibration. That's probably my biggest beef about the bike. I choose the FZ6R for the smooth inline 4 and I like full fairing bike better. One day I will get a standard bike...probably a V-twin or triple for their sound and smoothness.

Most of you already know that I've been pounding miles on my 6R for the past few years, all 46K of them. I bough myself a FZ09 about 1 year ago and put a solid 10K miles on it already. That include 2 little trip in the Smokies and 2 track days. Also this past week I had the chance to build an exhaust kit for the 2015 FZ07 that required some riding around to tune the EJK fuel controller.

Here's my non-official review between those 3 bikes. To be honest, I like them all! They all have a different feel & character that I learn to enjoy over the miles.

FZ6R

PRO:
Nice & smooth engine
Can be whatever you want with few mods
Bullet proof engine and extremely low maintenance overall
2up riding comfort with proper seat

Con:
High rev at freeway speed with some vibration in the handlebars
Stock screen want to unscrew your head off your shoulder
Heavy

FZ09

Pro:
HP & Torque to dream for, amazing engine for either cruising or ripping the track
Great ergonomics, simple little fly screen relief a lot of wind pressure from my chest at freeway speed. 900 miles days once and wasn't too bad.
Nice upgrades available
Pretty much R6 brakes (Easily update to R1's)
Light weight

Con:
Wind blast can be an issue for some
Jerky throttle (Free warranty update for all 2014 from Yamaha, will be part of 2015 fleet upgrade)
Suspension (rear worst) Can be easily/cheaply fix... engine package make up for it. Much easier to fix suspension than engine
Horrible 2up riding experience for more than 1 hr, even with a better seat.

FZ07

Pro:
Extremely light weight (and narrow between the legs)
Nice engine package with good mid range, better once tuned
Can change bike color in 20 minutes, steel gas tank (lawn mower grade) is cover with plastic. Sort of cheaply made but if you scratch it... easy fix.
Break and suspension more than adequate for the job

Con:
2up is not even a question!

All in all I could ride any of those 3 bikes and be happy. The 6R is a good Jack of all trade. Doesn't do anything great but is good at doing everything. Bullet proof power plant and good ergo make it the bike of choice if you do some 2up riding. The FZ07 is a really nice bike if you ride 1up most of the time. Perfect commuter bike. I can see some luggage, good screen and few other long riding goodies to make it a perfect getaway bike. If you want to do long ride 2up, buy a second one. :D Brake and suspension is better than the 6R, same for cruising range (5K RPM @ 70 MPH) with about the same MPG. The 07 has a lovely mid range with about the same top end of a FZ6R... maybe a little shy but by a hair but you can quizzed more out of the 6R with FZ6cams and the whole shabang! The FZ09 is in a different class once the throttle & suspension fix. It's pretty much a naked, upright R6 with huge torque. Even at the track the 09 is a R6 beater! LOL

Like I said previously, I'm no pro but this how i feel about those bikes. If I had to pick one I'll stick to the FZ09... just too bada$$! But I'm very happy I took the decision to keep the 6R. I could see trading her in for a FZ07 for the main reason of the FZ07 is a better beginner bike. The weight (for my 5'3" wife) is an issue with the 6R, even lowered and the nice & flexible mid range make the FZ07 much easier to ride for a beginner. Then again, 3 great bikes for 3 different purpose and style.

latony007

Thanks for the review Marty. The biggest issues i had with the 09 were the really jerky throttle and it sounds like they have fixed that. Have you dont that mod and does it make a big difference? Slap some fairings on that thing now and im buying :)

xinu

I just bought a new FZ6R and I can remember sitting on a FZ07 at the dealer but for some reason I didn't pay much attention to it. Maybe because it was naked.

It's lighter and the list price is less than the 6R and more expensive for me to insure by another $150 CDN a year. Its tough to believe that the 6R is 70lbs heavier. Tupperware doesn't weight that much does it?

latony007

I just bought a new FZ6R and I can remember sitting on a FZ07 at the dealer but for some reason I didn't pay much attention to it. Maybe because it was naked.

It's lighter and the list price is less than the 6R and more expensive for me to insure by another $150 CDN a year. Its tough to believe that the 6R is 70lbs heavier. Tupperware doesn't weight that much does it?
some of the weight must have to do with needing parts for 4 cylinders right? I wonder why the extra $150 for insurance.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

xinu

some of the weight must have to do with needing parts for 4 cylinders right? I wonder why the extra $150 for insurance.
Up here insurance cost is heavily weighted to displacement. That's the only way I can explain the extra cost. It maybe somewhat less since my quote comparison was based on CBR250 ($305), CBR500 ($365), FZ6R ($520) and GSX750F ($650). You're right of course, the 2 verses 4 cylinder weight difference will account for a good chunk. Also I didn't notice any difference in seat height no doubt related to the 2 cylinder engine profile of the FZ07.

blkbrd

Elite Member

xinu

Good thing youi didn't quote the Ninja 650!! You would've had a heart attack!! LOL! No difference between it and the ZX6-R from one of the big guys in Moto Insurance here.
Yep. I didn't expect the big jump from a 500 to 600cc either. Motorcycle insurance in this province is an outrageous ripoff. The very few underwriters we have must be in collusion. Our prov government makes matters worse.

pkoko

might want to check insurance rates fz09 while you are it? It is a lot faster and better value for the money.

xinu

might want to check insurance rates fz09 while you are it? It is a lot faster and better value for the money.
Thanks but too late. I purchased the 6R last week. I'm sure the FZ09 is faster and definitely less weight. I used to have a 919 and for this go around I wanted a fairing (I mostly ride country back roads) and a comparatively lower insurance bill. Is was paying over $750 for insurance on the 919 so I would think the FZ09 would be close to that.

latony007

Up here insurance cost is heavily weighted to displacement. That's the only way I can explain the extra cost. It maybe somewhat less since my quote comparison was based on CBR250 ($305), CBR500 ($365), FZ6R ($520) and GSX750F ($650). You're right of course, the 2 verses 4 cylinder weight difference will account for a good chunk. Also I didn't notice any difference in seat height no doubt related to the 2 cylinder engine profile of the FZ07.
Sounds like displacement if your only factor up there. Around here i think its a range, say 300-600 600-1000 so a 750 isnt going to be any less than a 1000. The SS are more, they are in a lot more wrecks so its stands to reason they would cost more to insure. Anyway back to the original post. Thanks for all the good info. i wish they would have flashed that bike before i test rode it a month ago, the throttle being so jerky was a deal killer for me.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member