Moving On From FZ6R...

romulan

I picked up my Kawi 636 a couple of weeks ago and besides a stiff neck from
the SS position and cramp from the clutch lever(now adjusted) I haven't had any real issues. Amazing power in at any RPM and handling that gets better the more you push it.

RoadTrip

I picked up my Kawi 636 a couple of weeks ago and besides a stiff neck from
the SS position and cramp from the clutch lever(now adjusted) I haven't had any real issues. Amazing power in at any RPM and handling that gets better the more you push it.
Cool, what color?

Anyways, yeah I been pushin my gixxer for awhile, but there is a limit, and the slips can be kinda big if you hit the wrong kind of pavement (e.g. a polished corner). I been schooled without gettin spanked so far, I try to remember that the grip does in fact have a limit. I just started using S20's and even though they grip better than the BT016's, I think the transition to slip has less warning, I assume you are on the S20's as well, so be careful not to become over-confident in that tire.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

rskinz6r

well i sat on the zx6r, gsxr600 and totally spaced out on something i over looked, the footpeg locations. Im so used to the fz6r's pegs i noticed my legs have to go higher, dont know if im comfortable the way it is, but the dealer did tell me they do make aftermarket foot pegs that i can adjust more forward like the fz6r.

oh and i also found a new choice of bike that i didnt even think of until i saw it, a Kawasaki Z1000, never looked into a naked bike and it does look sharp and the riding position feels just like the fz6r....may be leaning towards that one...

RoadTrip

yeah, man, definitely cross shop all the potentials, do the research, and go to the shop several times - if you put in the time, you will choose the right bike.

but, concerning the higher pegs, I think it all depends on the individual's body - even though I am tall, I have skinny legs and having them crunched a bit really doesn't bother me, I actually put the gixxer pegs back to their highest position after lowering them initially, I like them higher, gives a more crouched attack position that helps in cornering, IMO.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

rskinz6r

very good point buzzbomb, and honestly i dont know how to reply lol. I think when i bought the FZ6R i bought it as a compromise because of the price. I wanted a gsxr600 right off the bat but it would have been 12,500 out the door and i told myself that was too much for my first bike, plus i didnt know if i could handle the power. yes the FZ6R is fine but my plan was to get into a bike that i could see myself owning for awhile, the 6r wasnt going to be my long term bike, just a bike with training wheels lol.

Looking at some other dealerships yesterday i found 2 more cycles that changed everything as far as what i was looking for. a 2012 Kawasaki Z1000 - still has upright seating position, i can plant my feet on the ground fine, does have more power and looks sharp. I never thought about a street fighter type motorcycle but I saw that one and told myself i could stay with this bike for a long time.

the other is a 2012 Can-am Spyder RS-S. Ive always like them but the price tag is high. But my wife loves them and since she cant ride a motorcycle its perfect for her. We both would enjoy it and she would pay half of the monthly payment which is nice too lol.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Nitrocan

I have owned a 2001 cbr 600f4i, 2006 gsxr 750, 2007 drz 400sm, 2003 vfr 800, 2001 yami r6. Now I have a 2012 fz6r. No bike is perfect, but I have liked all the bikes I have had for different reasons.

Everyone likes to experiment a bit. Now coming back from a 4 years of having no bike. I find the fz6r a great compromise of every thing. It's fast enough, comfortable riding position, looks good too. That being said, everyone has different priorties. Most younger people are looking for more super sport performance. I being a little older, look more for the all roundness.

But I know from experience, that you can't fault anyone for exploring all the different motorcycle options, that are available today.

So to everyone who is changing their steed, enjoy your new rides!

Brock Kickass

Keep your 6R and get a Spyder for your wife. Then you can do multi-day tours together and she can carry the tent, cooler, and spare clothes/gear. I thought about it but my wife hates the Spyder. Oh well.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

rskinz6r

well im just waiting to see if my nephew wants to buy the 6r. He has a ninja 250 and has outgrown it pretty quicl, plus he is already over 6 feet so its small for him now. Me and the wife found a 2012 spyder for 16000 otd. it was a demo and comes with an extended warranty. BUT...then i looked into the maintenence costs and i was shocked! and oil change service is $250! when you get to 12K service its 1400. You have to take off a lot of the paneling to change the oil so they are kind of a pita. So we will see, i may look into a service contract.

I know some will say to do it yourself but i hate to admit im ones of those who would rather have it done by someone else, also i dont have many tools, and ive always had problems taking off plastic pieces on bikes and cars.
There are a few 2012 Z1000's in my area so im hoping they are still there by next month or 2, the dealers have told me those dont sell high due to a select group of buyers with that style of cycle in mind, so i may still have a chance to get a good deal on one, id rather have a 12 due to the color (candy burnt orange), but the 13s are kawi's green color and still do look sharp.

Just a waiting game now...

RoadTrip

Just another harmless opinion, but I agree with avoiding a spyder, not cause it won't be fun, but I would worry about depreciation, even at a good price. I just think motorcycles have a better residual, if you get tired of the spyder, which I think is highly likely, then you may take a beating on the resale.

I too have thought of some way of sharing motorcycling with my wife, but I don't want her riding, and she ain't gettin on the gixxer, so I would be lookin at a purposed second bike that was good for 2-up, and she would prolly only go on one ride. So, we just jump in the truck once a week and head out in the country for some BBQ and scenery, that works pretty good, we take the dogs as well - motorcycling is prolly gonna be a hobby just for me.

Get the Z1000, I can tell it's what you really want.

rskinz6r

i think my heart is set on the Z1000, but im hesitant too because i wanna make sure i dont rush into it because this will be the long term bike no matter if a new bike comes out...im keeping this one...but so far its #1 which is kinda shocking cuz my heart was set on a 2012-13 GSXR-600.

I also wanted to look at the new Star Bolt motorcycle coming out this month. Just dont know if a cruiser is what I want to go to right now either...oh decisions decisions! lol

Hellgate

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So many are getting new ride... I'm about to say FK it!!! LOL
You know you want it Marty!

Tuono Ape.JPG