Moving On From FZ6R...

Detrich

The aggressive riding position and tall seat height for the R6 & R1 are what make them so nimble and turn so fast. The ergo's are the slight trade off. Wouldn't trade it for the world though. :)

Detrich

Yah, I picked her up this past Sat. OC Yamaha went out of business and were letting go 2012 R1 for $10,290 + tax n lic basically... :)

RoadTrip

Congrats! I am hoping you put together a thread comparing the R6 and R1 at some point. I have thought about a liter from time to time, but just don't want to regret giving up the lighter 600 - pretty sure my wife would endure a trade next year, but she would be pissed if I had 2 sport bikes.

rskinz6r

lol wow a lot of posts, just read them all. I do mostly street riding, no track days for me, Ive never wanted to get into it, just didnt appeal to me i guess, so mostly riding around town when the weather is nice.

the Suzuki's are still having the 0% so thats an option, so is kawi right now too. I have already ruled out the cbr600rr due to the riding position on that one, my leg feels too high up on the bike. i think im leaning towards the gsxr because ive always wanted that one since 2011 when they brought out the white/black color (looks sweet!). the zx6r and gsxr 600 have the best riding position i believe that wouldnt take a lot out of me.

rskinz6r

my brother in law does have an 06 R6 and i know he cant ride for long periods because of the position but I do think that bike is the most aggressive looking of them all. I think it will end of coming down to the price tag. I am going tomorrow to re-sit on them all to see how my body feels on them. the gsxr is the only one i know that you can adjust the footpegs...

Detrich

I hear u.... lol. My sister & my mom both had a shit fit when I told them I wanted to upgrade and take advantage of the going out of business sale last week... lol. We argued for almost 3 days straight, but I eventually wore them out... Hehehe =D. But, I had to agree that I'd only keep one bike after having enough time with the R1...

Initial impressions... Ergo's and seat height are more or less the same. And, the R6 is like a BMW M3, and the R1 is like a Corvette. Both are very precise and have the awesome "Yamaha" handling. But, the R6 is super smooth revving & super light. It just does what u tell it to- accurately & precisely. Both the throttle and the handling are very forgiving... Power has to be requested, upon which it spools up & responds... The R1, on the other hand, roars with power from the get go and still has power in reserve. It doesn't rev or idle as civilized or as smooth as the R6, because it just kinda growls & rumbles like an American muscle car. It wants to be rev'd hard, and it falls somewhere in between the feel & sound of a V-Twin and a fuel-injected inline 4... It's noticeably heavier, but once u get it moving, it starts feeling like the R6 again, but on steroids- just not as flickable at-will, due to its weight. It is definitely not as forgiving, and the throttle will bite u if u don't mind it. Power is instantaneous & linear.

I still love my R6 to death... So honestly, I dunno how this is going to end. But, I'm happy that I get a chance to experience a liter bike before I get too old. Honestly, I was a little nervous at first about the R1. But once my instincts kicked in, it was all fun and smiles after that. No big deal. I just enjoyed the character of the bike and everything I might've worried about b4 just went right out the window... lol

Last edited:

RoadTrip

lol wow a lot of posts, just read them all. I do mostly street riding, no track days for me, Ive never wanted to get into it, just didnt appeal to me i guess, so mostly riding around town when the weather is nice.

the Suzuki's are still having the 0% so thats an option, so is kawi right now too. I have already ruled out the cbr600rr due to the riding position on that one, my leg feels too high up on the bike. i think im leaning towards the gsxr because ive always wanted that one since 2011 when they brought out the white/black color (looks sweet!). the zx6r and gsxr 600 have the best riding position i believe that wouldnt take a lot out of me.
Oh... well Suzuki is guarding that secret on the website, they were advertising the 0% heavily up til the end of the month, then the ads disappeared, thanks for the update.

My take on the ZX6R vs GSXR600 is that the ZX6R looks fresher right now, and the motor should be a little bit stronger, but Suzuki also puts together excellent bikes, I have had zero issues in 15K miles (knock on wood), and it has weathered those miles very nicely. Make sure and keep us updated.

RoadTrip

I hear u.... lol. My sister & my mom both had a shit fit when I told them I wanted to upgrade and take advantage of the going out of business sale last week... lol. We argued for almost 3 days straight, but I eventually wore them out... Hehehe =D. But, I had to agree that I'd only keep one bike after having enough time with the R1...

Initial impressions... Ergo's and seat height are more or less the same. And, the R6 is like a BMW M3, and the R1 is like a Corvette. Both are very precise and have the awesome "Yamaha" handling. But, the R6 is super smooth revving & super light. It just does what u tell it to- accurately & precisely. Both the throttle and the handling are very forgiving... Power has to be requested, upon which it spools up & responds... The R1, on the other hand, roars with power from the get go and still has power in reserve. It doesn't rev or idle as civilized or as smooth as the R6, because it just kinda growls & rumbles like an American muscle car. It wants to be rev'd hard, and it falls somewhere in between the feel & sound of a V-Twin and a fuel-injected inline 4... It's noticeably heavier, but once u get it moving, it starts feeling like the R6 again, but on steroids- just not as flickable at-will, due to its weight. It is definitely not as forgiving, and the throttle will bite u if u don't mind it. Power is instantaneous & linear.

I still love my R6 to death... So honestly, I dunno how this is going to end. But, I'm happy that I get a chance to experience a liter bike before I get too old. Honestly, I was a little nervous at first about the R1. But once my instincts kicked in, it was all fun and smiles after that. No big deal. I just enjoyed the character of the bike and everything I might've worried about b4 just went right out the window... lol
Ahhhh, so there were women in the mix, he he. Well, I guess the differences were to be expected in terms of handling, but I do see a lot of R1's on Rnickeymouse videos on Mulholland, and they are knee dragging the hairpin, so maybe just view the R1 as a new challenge instead of less nimble.

For me, I see the liter bike being more entertaining when stuck on straight line roads, you can always twist the throttle for a quick smile, but then it's still agile enough to do the twisties but perhaps requiring more skill to do it smoothly. I also hear that peeps become addicted to the crossplane engine sound and character over time, more Ducati like in that regard.

- sorry, didn't mean to thread jack, rskinz6r

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

blackie65

moving on?

Plan on a giant increase in the cost of insurance if that is a consideration. I have had that un-pleasent experience myself. After several trades I just bought a 2013 FZ6R after having a 2009 model back in 2010

Detrich

Yah, my insurance almost doubled. >.< It's an addl $550/yr for the R1, and I pay about $600/yr for the R6 already. Go figure. lol... I am paying more, b'cuz of my elected coverage tho. I could've easily knocked it down to half of that if I did less coverage.. But I made a decision a few years ago to over-insure a bit just to be safe.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Plan on a giant increase in the cost of insurance if that is a consideration. I have had that un-pleasent experience myself. After several trades I just bought a 2013 FZ6R after having a 2009 model back in 2010

All depends who he is with and how they do their ratings..

My FZ6R, R6 and FZ8 were all around the same price for insurance. All within $10 of each other a month. FZ8 was a little more than my R6 strangely. This is with State Farm. The go mainly by engine CC. Although my 1200 Bandit is by far the cheapest of them all...

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Detrich

If u do decide to go with the Kawai Bros <lol>, don't forget about Costco's buying program. They have pre-negotiated rates for members that are very competitive. Go to www.costco.com click on services, auto program, input ur zip code, then click motorcycles and power sports :)

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Detrich

Ive gotten auto quotes thru this program before, and it's very straight forward actually. And, there is no pressure to buy whatsoever.

The dealer should contact u and provide u a copy of their invoice price of what they paid for the vehicle from the manufacturer and then tell u what ur price will be.

It will be very competitive. :)