Mod. Stock Exhaust

eNigma17

Still trying to figure out, to sum things up. No need to change the internal of the exhaust but rather this is an exhaust tip replacement? With that would cause a difference in sound? Correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

godwearsblack

Oh and i also just used the original tip it looks more "original" than having to add a different pipe on it and it looking weird or it not being the right angle lol ill post pix once i charge my phone

eNigma17

So I went to a welding shop and is charging me $500 if they do everything as they need to take off the muffler or $250 if I remove and bring the muffler to him. Despite the instructions I printed out for him. This sounds crazy... Should I just bring my bike to a any muffler shop? Any shops in the Bay Area?

Riccochet

That's crazy. No need to remove the exhaust. Shouldn't take a capable shop more than 30 minutes. $100 tops to get the old pipe cut off and new tip welded on.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

shea88

I am having a hard time finding page 16 or any instructions on the forum would you be able to send me them or repost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredrod

just finished exhaust mod.

Hello All, Been a while since I posted. I finished the stock exhaust mod and thought I would post a step by step for anyone wanting to do the same.

Step 1. remove fairings.
Step 2. remove chrome tip from exhaust.
Step 3. remove center radiator support bolt on bottom of radiator.
Step 4. Remove exhaust flang nuts.( be careful with the gaskets)
Step 5. put a floor jack or stack of wood blocks under bread box.
Step 6. remove bolts from muffler support brackets on both side. I removed the big center bolt.
Step 6. cut off the pipe. ( lay the exhaust on a towel or board to avoid scratches.
Step 7. mount your exhaust on a drill press table and clamp down. put something under it to avoid scratches. I didn't. put the table at the right angle to match the desired result.I did not make a note of this angle. Sorry.
Step 8. Get out your 2 1/8" hole saw and chuck it up tight. put the drill press on the lowest speed and take your time.I also used a dremel tool with cut off wheel and cut the small pipe back into the muffler 1 1/2".
Step 9. check for fit. This might be a good time to mention that I bought a 2 1/8" to 2 3/8" adapter and a stainless steel bolt on stash cut tip that fits up to 2 1/2" pipe. both pieces cost under $15.00 at auto parts store.
Step 10. put it on the bike to check angle and fit. I didn't bolt up tight just put it in place and started the two rear bolts and held the front up with jack.
Step 11. Fire up the welder and weld it up.
Step 12. put the exhaust back on after it cools and line up the tip where you want it. You will find it easier to tighten two of the screws in to the desired point and leave the third screw out most of the way to use as the tightening screw. you cannot get to all three when it is on the bike.
Step 13. fire it up and enjoy the beautiful sound it now makes.
Step 14. call your buddies to come hear how sweet it sounds.
Step 15. put it back together and go for a ride. You deserve it.:thumbup:

Attachments

Wookie_666

Finished

So I have done this mod today and god it is so much better.

I had it all done professionally and it cost me 145 AUD complete. I also spent 100 on a spare stock exhaust so that I have a stocker if needed.

I love the sound. It just has a slight drone in first gear when accelerating. But it soon goes away and has the best sound. It actually would be as loud as the TBR exhaust. It just has a deeper growl.

I used a 2.5 inch SS piece with a 30 deg bend in it. and had it welded professionaly.

Attachments

Wookie_666

^^^ Yours is actually what I was going for. But I know the guys would have charged me way too much to actually cut the tip like that. But I like mine

I can't remember where or if I had seen your photo before but I wish that I had is yesterday So i could have shown the guys

tanoz

where are you Sydney people getting it done ?
Everyone i've asked has said either "we don't touch motorbikes" , "its not worth our time" or they want me to take it all apart and cut it, just bring them the exhaust and tip. They make the quick weld then tell me take it back home and refit it. They want $80 just to weld it, not including the tip....

AL72

MOD without welding

Here another optión, a inox Steel "Tip" bolted instead of welded. The tip is from the OEM exhaust of a VAG TSI 2.0 engine (Of my car, replaced by a Magnaflow muffler).
I just cut one of the twin tips from the VAG muffler, and take it with a friend who does work with stainless Steel, and he weld two Little plates of inox Steel with the holes for the stock bolts, and Voila!

Here some pics:

Attachments

Last edited: