Mod. Stock Exhaust

joloy133

Hey guys, the treehugger n me wants to make sure I am not bypassing a section of the cat.. I am not familiar with how the muffler/cat for the fz6r is, I am hoping someone could confirm....

Ie, I just want to make sure, the exhaust coming out from the new opening is after it exited the cat inside correct?

Thanks guys!
The cat is just after the headers, front part of stock exhaust. Someone here actually cut open a stock exhaust to expose the inner chambers.

Neo

Im going to give this mod a try and im also going to make a walk through. but im still unsure what needs to be cut and if hole's need to be drilled ?. so i have taken some pics and done a bit of a draw on paint id like someone to please tell me if im right. Pic has (A) (B) and (C)

by looking at the pics posted i get someone to slice along (B) and cut the small muffler pipe flush and i get a 2 1/4'' or 2 1/2'' Muffler tip welded on (C)?

or i can get (A) cut and get 6ish Holes Drilled under and i get a 2 1/4'' or 2 1/2'' Muffler tip welded on (C) ?

Is this Correct or am i looking at it wrong? also 2 1/4'' or 2 1/2'' what do you think is best?

Cheers

Last edited:

popeye

I ve cut mine at B and got an oval stainless tip from supercheap auto for 20 bucks
Not sure what size it is
I'll try and upload a picture later

Edit
I measured it 3inch by 2inch

Last edited:

Neo

Ok Tig Welder was used and i have some videos of the change. i will add alot more photos later.

SurfJunkie

Did the mod yesterday

I did thix mod yesterday and i friggin LOVE it.

Exactly what i was looking for.

The stock exhaust is so quiet at low speed no one can hear you. Hell, i can hardly hear myself and im on the thing.

That problem is now SOLVED. Nice tone and sound throughout.

Neo

OK here is a Walk through. big shout out goes to my bro Bill for helping me with this one.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes :confused:

Please do this at your own risk I take no responsibly in any damage you do or any void of warranty.

Pop the bike up on on its wheel stand

use an Allen key to take off tip. there are 3 screws

i have an XJ6 so i dont have the full Fairing so im not sure how to remove the lower part on a FZ6 but on XJ6 its just 4 Allen screws to remove the cover.

Using a long extension like in pic is the best way to unscrew the exhaust from the head. it gives you alot more room.

you will need to unscrew the exhaust from the bike there is one ether side

you may have this sensor on your bike if you do you will need to unscrew it to loosen it then twist and pull it out

Ok now every thing is loose you can wriggle the exhaust out. now here is the trick it wont come out with the wheel stand up so you will have to get a friend to push the bike forward so it can come under the wheel stand. the stand needs to go half way down and you can pull the exhaust out then pop it back on the wheel stand. there will be 4 exhaust seals make shore you do not damage them and you keep them in a safe place you will need to put them back in later.

You will need to mark up your angle and tip length. as you can see my brother has marked out the angle.

Ok so your now at the point of no return you need to cut the first part off.

Now i know at this point you can clean this up and then weld the tip over the top. Me and my brother though it would be a deeper sound if we made a bigger hole bigger this is up to you.

once that is done you can start removing the rest it does look messy but it cleans up

you will then need to mark and cut your tip and clean up the rest for a nice fit.

Ok time to weld. I have a stainless steel tip so my brother had to use a Tig welder and he had to use a bit of the old exhaust tip. the part that we cut off first and an off cut of the stainless steel tip so he could setup his welder so it would not burn a hole into the exhaust. once he was happy he started welding it all up.

Next part is to tap all the little bits of steel that feel into the exhaust out.

The bike is now a huge mess time to put it back together.

Line the exhaust up push the bike forward again and slip the exhaust back under the bike and then line up exhaust and screw the exhaust back to the bike frame loosely so it takes the weight.

Make sure that you have all of your exhaust seals there are 4 some will stay in the head some fell out. we had to use a little bit of gasket glue to sit the seal ring on the exhaust because they keep falling out or off. put the exhaust back in and start to put the bolts back on loosely then once everything is on start to tighten the exhaust to the frame and put your sensor back in and Finnish tightening your head bolts.

Now Start your bike :D

This is the Finished product.

Here is the Stock Exhaust Sound

Yamaha XJ6 Stock exhaust system - YouTube

Here is the Bike after the Mod.

Yamaha XJ6 Stock exhaust system Mod. - YouTube

I am very happy with this mod it looks stock and people will hear you. My Brother did not understand why we did all of this work until we started the bike up after the mod. he was very surprised how much difference it made. the bike does burble and it does take a few days to get use to the sound change.

As for performance it has more top speed. i could not get over 196 KPH top speed on my bike i have a K&N filter and my friend with the same bike could get 210 KPH on his. He is lighter than me and his bike is all stock. after i did the exhaust mod i got 207 KPH out of my bike. i assume this has just given it more flow. As for acceleration it does not feel any different.

Happy and Safe Riding. :aus:

Beouwolf03

To msgirle, I'm sure he would but any decent muffler shop could do this. The cost 4 me was $85. (ABC muffler shop in Benicia). To tractorboy, thanks.
@ Joloy...can you please pm me the name of your guy at ABC muffler shop who did the mod for you. I would like to have him work on my bike as well. atleast I dont have to explain to him every detail what needs to be done knowing he already did it. thanks, appreciate it a lot

WorldLavish

NEWBIE IN DA HOUSE!!!

So I bought my FZ6R a month ago. Is my first bike! Friday I went to the dealer for her first pampering session (first maintanance). Boy was I excited for her but then we were sadden... As I was getting ready to leave the dealer with my new gear and pride, a fellow rider got on a Yamaha scooter and put me and Stig Raven to shame! It was louder then my FZ6R! THE HORROR! He had a TB exhaust system! Sounded beautiful, but now i just look like _______ . So I took the leap and did this mod. I LOVE IT! To be clear, butterflies in my stomach love it! Thank You guys for the post!

Now I have a few questions that may have been answered. Please be kind.

IMMEDIATELY I noticed a change. When I roll on the throttle, It had much more aggresion to it. Less "Zippy" more aggresive. It was a scary fun feeling. Kind of like my brother-in-laws GSX 750. Did anyone else experience this beauty?

Also before the mod, I would loose revs fairly quickly if i lay off the throttle. Now it gradually decreases as if it was supercharged or something. Along with the beautiful sound, I love that. Did anyone notice that?

Sorry one more thing.. Between 4k-8k RPM feels more like the old 7k-10k RPM. Which goes back to the above question. Did this happen to you?

Thank You in advance!

jman

Ok I searched the whole thread and saw some pics of people who cut the stock exhaust off at the base and then instead of making a larger hole just drilled a few holes around the outside. Does anyone have a video of how that sounds? As far as I can tell all the vids are of a larger diameter hole not just with a few holes drilled.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Last edited:
I know what I'm doing today...heading to Autozone to get a tip and going to remove the exhaust tonight. My neighbor has MIG and TIG so he'll do the welding. Now, I just need to get a saw!