Lowering links & short kickstands

xplodnstar

I talked to my service guy yesterday and he explained it to me like this: You only have to lower the front end by about half the amount as the back end. Due to the pivot points, the geometry doesn't really allow lowering the same measurement.

That being said, it makes more sense that the ride won't be adversely affected to the point of sever damage. Unless, of course, you're out hitting every speed bump you can find over and over.

So I'm really interested in trying out this option, but I wanted to find out what the return policy is if the ride WAS adversely affected. Or at least if the kickstand was returnable if we found it wasn't needed after all. Since our bike already leans over so far, the stock kick stand may work just fine, but more upright.

Oh, and the big question.... Is there a group buy option for the forum members? :D

cavcuz05

newb ? how do you lower the front?:don'tknow:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
newb ? how do you lower the front?:don'tknow:
You lower the front by loosening the clamps that hold the forks in the triples. The triples are called this because they are two machined "triangles" that hold each fork and the steering head, thus three points to mount or a triple. :D

FIRST and most important... Suspend the front of the bike so that the front wheel is off the ground. Do not loosen the clamps with the bike's weight resting on the front tire!

What you do is loosen the top clamps fully. Then, loosen the bottom clamps ONLY until you can forcibly move the forks inside the clamps. You then use a rubber mallet and tap the bottom of each fork lightly to move them upward. Take careful measurements at the top triple to be sure the exact same amount of fork tube is showing above the top triple. Do not go more than 1" or 25mm above the top triple as this could adversely effect handling.

Once you have them at the height you desire (from stock flush to 25 mm) then use a torque wrench to torque the lower clamps to spec. Then torque the top clamps to spec. After 100 miles of riding, re-torque all 4 clamps starting with the bottom two.

Hope that helps!

rubicon1000

well installed the lowering link on my wifes fz6r realy helped her out she is almost flat footed on the ground now. install went well had to go buy a motorcycle/atv jack to complete the task. had to remove the plastic side pieces under the seat and raise the gas tank up to get to the mount then took out the upper shock mount bolt and let the shock and swing arm hang down. next placed the link on the oem mount and used factory bolt and mounted shock in its new location with bolt and nut supplyed. installed parts back on bike and lower it down to the ground and good to go. tomarrow night i will be sliding the fork tubes up to get it leveled out its not real bad. will take some pics tomarrow after i lower the tubes i will see if we realy need the kickstand or not. we will see and i will let everyone know..

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
well installed the lowering link on my wifes fz6r realy helped her out she is almost flat footed on the ground now. install went well had to go buy a motorcycle/atv jack to complete the task. had to remove the plastic side pieces under the seat and raise the gas tank up to get to the mount then took out the upper shock mount bolt and let the shock and swing arm hang down. next placed the link on the oem mount and used factory bolt and mounted shock in its new location with bolt and nut supplyed. installed parts back on bike and lower it down to the ground and good to go. tomarrow night i will be sliding the fork tubes up to get it leveled out its not real bad. will take some pics tomarrow after i lower the tubes i will see if we realy need the kickstand or not. we will see and i will let everyone know..
I am anxiously awaiting your results because I want to do this to the wife's bike but also don't want to buy the billet stand. What I MAY do is take hers off, should it need to be shorter and cut the pad off and have it welded back on after removing enough from the bottom of the stalk. :D It would be GREAT to not have to do anything though.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Well, I spoke with the wife a few minutes ago and she said to go ahead and order the pair so I just called and ordered the link and stand. The stands aren't available yet so they will ship my order the middle of next week which is fine with me. The stands are cut but are out being anodized right now. :thumbup:

So, she'll have a lowered FZ6R in a couple weeks! Just in time to put the bike up for the winter in NH! :(

Last edited:

artkatz111

Rubicon1000, you said your wife can almost flat foot it now. Can you tell me how tall your wife is? I'm 5'1", and I'm wondering how lowering 1.75" will affect my reach.

jdesiano1

Really wanting to know if I have to get the kickstand (maybe if they made it black it would be more appealing)!!! Someone needs to hurry up and figure it out. :p

rubicon1000

Rubicon1000, you said your wife can almost flat foot it now. Can you tell me how tall your wife is? I'm 5'1", and I'm wondering how lowering 1.75" will affect my reach.
we are in navarre so if u want to u can come over and see what u think she has shorter legs i bet then u. thats why we had to lower it

Craxican

Wow...i live in Pensacola:D...i saw a FZ6R at UWF that was lowered...weeks before the roaringtoyz one came out...i woonder how they did it...hmmmm...o well...whatever works for you

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Really wanting to know if I have to get the kickstand (maybe if they made it black it would be more appealing)!!! Someone needs to hurry up and figure it out. :p
Just wanted you to know that they are being anodized black. :thumbup: When you visit their web site, it only let's you purchase black stands. Apparently though, it may not be needed but my wife wanted it regardless. :D They will be shipping my set later next week. :iconbeer:

rubicon1000

i just can not bring myself to paying 100 plus dollars for a kickstand u dont need at all i would rather s[end the money on somthing else.

phantomsaint13

Hey i just wanted to say thank you for all of ur efforts in helping my finace Rubicon1000 in finding your product. The black FZ6R is my bike and i was unable to touch the ground when I first bought it. I am only 5'4" and it has helped me have better stability. I think that your product is going to be great for helping many women like me in the future.