FZ6R 2018 lowering update

drichiez

Hi, first post here.
I'm getting a new 2016 FZ6R and need to lower it. Most information I've found is from several years ago and was wondering if, as of today, there were better options over the famous lowering link from RT and soupy's. Also heard about a rear shock replacement option for this purpose. Please share any thoughts that could help me out, thx.

MrFrzZ

There's not really an aftermarket following for the fizzer. The platform is getting long in the tooth and has been unchanged basically since it's inception.

It's a superb starter platform and can be adapted to whatever direction a rider wants to go in, touring, sport, track, etc. Once the rider has gotten some time in, he or she can look into a more focused machine in those categories. There are a couple alternatives to the RT, but I'm having trouble finding them. A quick Google search does reveal some eBay products, but I'd be weary of them.

drichiez

I'm waiting to hear back from this company, EPM Performance Imports, to see what they have. I found them via an old thread where someone had apparently purchased a replacement rear shock from them, but there's very little information about it, so not sure if it's a truth worthy option.

drichiez

I'm a short guy...5'2.

Ok they replied to me. They're offering me a kit that has a rear shock and fork springs set. The bike will drop 1.25" by its own weight thanks to these springs....I like it. I wonder if on top of that we can also do the RT lowering link mod.

MrFrzZ

I'm a short guy...5'2.

Ok they replied to me. They're offering me a kit that has a rear shock and fork springs set. The bike will drop 1.25" by its own weight thanks to these springs....I like it. I wonder if on top of that we can also do the RT lowering link mod.
what do you mean "By its own weight" ? Are these "softer" Springs that will allow the bike to sag more? If so, this isnt going to be a good solution. the spring preload and stiffness needs to be adjusted to rider weight, not height. You can lower the front anywhere between 1"-1.75" without changing spring rate. The lowering link in the rear will do equal this out as well...

Is this your first bike?

look at the Link below. my wife read it when she first started riding and its helped her out a bit.

https://advgrrl.com/2015/10/08/5-tips-for-short-riders-handling-tall-and-big-motorcycles/

drichiez

They are softer at the beginning until the lower height is reached. They are progressive wound with a higher then stock rate after that.
Thanks for the link It'll help me a lot.
Yes first bike.
It looks like you can continue to lower it more with a shorter shock or a link that they also provide. I'm waiting for more info from them.

MrFrzZ

They are softer at the beginning until the lower height is reached. They are progressive wound with a higher then stock rate after that.
Thanks for the link It'll help me a lot.
Yes first bike.
It looks like you can continue to lower it more with a shorter shock or a link that they also provide. I'm waiting for more info from them.

Just remember... The software is more important than the hardware....

It also bears mentioning that the lower you get to the ground, you'll need to look at other components - Shorter/ adjustable kickstand, and your pegs are going to be lower to the ground as well. I only lowered my front end, was grinding my feelers, then removed those and was still getting to the point of grinding pegs. Granted, I had terrible BP, but it bears mentioning.