Looking for a slip on Exhaust..

MikeN02

Are you asking for stock setup or R6 headers...?

Did you know?

Slip-ons won't work for stock setup.

Now you know...

JSP

Super Moderator
If you want a slip on, you need to do the R6 header. Or you can cut/weld and modify your stock exhaust off and make whatever you want.

rjsantana20

Ok all you modification pros, please don't yell at me or laugh. Ok, maybe laugh.

I am beginning the R6 header mod process. I just picked up the 99-02 headers, they arrived this past week. How do you connect the exhaust to the header if they are the same size, 2" diameter? What is that piece called?

As for the exhaust, I think Im going with a GYTR. Would love to go with a Yoshi but it's a money thing and also, I want to stay under the bike not traditional style up the right side.

MikeN02

Ok all you modification pros, please don't yell at me or laugh. Ok, maybe laugh.

I am beginning the R6 header mod process. I just picked up the 99-02 headers, they arrived this past week. How do you connect the exhaust to the header if they are the same size, 2" diameter? What is that piece called?

As for the exhaust, I think Im going with a GYTR. Would love to go with a Yoshi but it's a money thing and also, I want to stay under the bike not traditional style up the right side.

I think you're talking about the mid pipe.

The headers has the 4 pipes that connect to the bike, goes into 2 and into 1. That one connects to a mid pipe that connects to the exhaust.

For many people who just want slip ons and not a full system, you just remove the mid pipe, and exhaust and slip on a new one.

rjsantana20

I guess I don't need it. The exhaust should just slip on or bolt on, correct?

MikeN02

I guess I don't need it. The exhaust should just slip on or bolt on, correct?

When you buy a slip on exhaust it should come with a mid pipe and exhaust.

It should slip right on to the headers yes, but you also have to find the correct year of slip on for those headers.

I.E a 2002 Yoshimura Slip on won't fit a 2005 R6 header.

Now "lock" the slip on in place you have a metal bracket with a nut that you tighten around both midpipe and header.

rjsantana20

:eek: Oh vey! The exhausts for a 99-02 R6 are all long cans. I was hoping to fit a short can on the header. I understand the older exhaust will not fit on the new header but I am going the other way. Older header with newer exhaust.

From what you wrote, the 06+ R6 exhaust wont fit on my 99-02 header. This is not good news. Please tell me I wrong and my way will work.

MikeN02

:eek: Oh vey! The exhausts for a 99-02 R6 are all long cans. I was hoping to fit a short can on the header. I understand the older exhaust will not fit on the new header but I am going the other way. Older header with newer exhaust.

From what you wrote, the 06+ R6 exhaust wont fit on my 99-02 header. This is not good news. Please tell me I wrong and my way will work.

It won't work, I got a deal on 02 Headers with a yoshimura rs3 pipe that is realllly long! So I cut it down to a shorty and it looks good, and it's custom one of a kind.

One point I tried to sell it to a guy who owns a 05 R6 but the headers were too big, the slip on went straight in the headers....

The brand new R6's have a motogp style can as well so you def can't use those.

rjsantana20

Damn, I guess back to the drawing board. The exhaust I am looking at has a 2" diameter same as the header. Is there no way I can make it work? Maybe a connecting pipe perhaps?

MikeN02

Damn, I guess back to the drawing board. The exhaust I am looking at has a 2" diameter same as the header. Is there no way I can make it work? Maybe a connecting pipe perhaps?

If you can fap up a custom mid pipe of your own or go to a muffler shop it might work. I would get the exhaust for R6 still.

I took my bike to a muffler shop as the midpipe on my RS-3 stainless was superlong, he said he couldn't bend and flair out stainless as it would break. Best case scenario is to make a new midpipe from the headers to the exhaust but then it would look weird as the material he's making it out of looks like a dull die cast.

rjsantana20

I will talk to the bike shop I purchased my bike at. Maybe they can help me with my concoction.

I must say that I am surprised that no one else jumped on this thread with ideas, comments or solutions. I thought that maybe a few of the R6 conversion people would of stated something. Oh well... Thanks Mike for the information.

MikeN02

I will talk to the bike shop I purchased my bike at. Maybe they can help me with my concoction.

I must say that I am surprised that no one else jumped on this thread with ideas, comments or solutions. I thought that maybe a few of the R6 conversion people would of stated something. Oh well... Thanks Mike for the information.

I had a lot of those questions as well but had to search around and do a hands on thing and noticed it didn't fit. I believe I was the first to actually cut down the pipe here.

jcbrown630

I did 02 headers. D&D slipon. Sounds wicked as most D&D are loud pipes. If you want to stay under the bike the leo vince or TBR or other full system for the FZ6R is the way to go unless as stated before you go with an adapter pipe / tube to connect the 05 header to the later gp style exhaust. With all the trouble you're probly better served with a tuned system for the bike. Our motor is very similar to the 02 motor as that (IIRC) is the motor our bike is based around which is why i went with the slipon for that year header. The header is designed for that style can.

Anakai559

I saw some guy on YouTube posted up video on how to get a good sound. You just poke hole straight through your stock exhaust. Is it good for your motor?