Looking at a FZ6R tomorrow, need advice.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

jjcool

So much great stuff guys keep it coming. Heres the update:

The guy lives an hour away from me. Due to the fact that I am on surgery at the moment, I have quite long hours and was unable to take 3 hours off today to go see it.

He DID call me however and I got a few questions answered.

1. He is the 2nd owner
2. He claims that the first owner took care of it (says that chain was replaced, and oil was kept up)
3. He has no service records
4. Everything is stock
5. The pictures he posted were taken when he posted the listing a few days ago
6. Claims that he has not put that many miles on it himself due to insufficient time to ride it (hence why he is selling it now)

He seems a little offended when I asked if he has been changing the oil lol. So I believe that he has been keep up with at least that.

Hopefully I can check it out in the next few days. I am not in a huge hurry so I'm willing to wait.

Thanks so much again guys.

jjcool

The muffler on the bottom left looks a little funny. is that rust? I'm not sure if it's encased in something or if thats lighting

jjcool

Not sure about the spot above the shifter, but whatever the paint repair is just below the rear seat is on both sides. Wonder if he used some kind of saddlebags or something else that hung over the rear seat. That's exactly where you'd expect it to rub.
Yes good catch. IMHO 40K miles on anything completely stock that looks like that is allowed to have a minor tape mark on the side lol.

jjcool

Did u ask if he would take 3,000

Sent from my one and only iPhone using Tapatalk
No I didn't. I made him aware that 40K was a lot of miles. When I call next, I might ask. I feel that I might have more leverage if I drive up there and show up with 3Gs in cash.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

06330i

I'd pass, I've seen a gsxr's and r6's go for 4 grand with alot less miles (10k) although idk what the prices go for bikes near you, I'm speaking for michigan prices.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
B

bullfinchgold

hey

hey , I think you should do more reserch , and you will find a better miles for this moddel and more nice design for advise .

oldtouring b

JJCool

The seller is not being completely honest with you. I would pass. There are so many bikes that have been cared for and are in near perfect condition. Take your time and you will find the best one..

Superzoom

I also vote to pass on this bike.

40 000 is a lot of miles. An engine may last well past 100 000 miles, but at 40 000, all sorts of stuff will start to go. Cables, lines, all moving parts, bearings, finishes, rotors... Guaranteed that once you get the bike, you will find something expensive that needs servicing/replacing and will negate any possible good deal you got.

This is the way I look at used bike pricing: As soon as a bike is out of the dealership, knock off $1000. Then for every 10 000 miles, knock off another $1000. Also for every year old, knock off $500. Sounds silly, but you'll find this to be roughly true, give or take.

In other words, the bike is worth a lot less than he's asking. The fact that you can find other used FZ6R's with way less mileage for only a bit more money should give you your answer.

jmlevy85

I would check to see what regular maintenance has been performed on the bike. Make sure he has service records and find out where the work was completed at. Also find out what the next couple of maintenance needs are. Does it need a valve adjustment? Are there parts that are going to need to be replaced just as a normal part of maintaining the bike? With that many miles it might seem ok but if you have to turn around and spend another 1000 to 2000 dollars on maintenance and shop stuff then its not worth it. Or at least you can use that in the negotiating.