Looking at a FZ6R tomorrow, need advice.

jjcool

I called and no answer I'll try again though. Thanks for the link.

And thanks again for the advice. Ill pass on the sweet yellow bike and keep my eyes out.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

jjcool

Appreciate the info.

Due to the difficulty in finding an R, I'm looking into a fz6. Anyone know the differences? I'm sure it's been asked a million times and I apologize.

Fizzer6R

Appreciate the info.

Due to the difficulty in finding an R, I'm looking into a fz6. Anyone know the differences? I'm sure it's been asked a million times and I apologize.
completely different animal, head over to the brother fz6 forum

Superzoom

Appreciate the info.

FZ6: lighter, aluminum frame, "better" suspension, way more power up top, pretty gutless down low (making it not the best city bike)

Get the FZ6 if you want sport bike performance with decent ergos without the fairing. Get the FZ6R if you want a good all-around bike with very good ergos, but don't need tons of top end power.

You'll also find a lot of people dissing the FZ6R as a substantial downgrade from the FZ6. I consider them different bikes for somewhat different purposes. The interesting thing is, the FZ6R was built to a price point, but it just plain works really well, sort of better than the sum of its parts.

If you do a lot of commuting and touring at not-too-crazy speeds, the FZ6R would suit you better. If you live to ride the bike fast and hard on the twisties or at highly illegal speed on the freeway, the FZ6 would be your bike.

jjcool

You know, I don't really know what it means to have more power up top.

My last bike was a Buell Blast that I moded to go as fast as i could on it. Its power band was in the mid range only.

Would a FZ6 not be good for commutes and longer riding at all? I'm not sure i completely understand the difference.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

jjcool

It has more power meaning, faster acceleration, more torque, in the higher RPM range, as opposed to having in the low range, lower RPM range
right, so does it make it harder to ride in the city? or do i have to be at like 6K RPM to cruise at 30 or something????

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

jjcool

You just won't notice as much acceleration, and torque. Not necessarily harder, just different. Honestly, the FZ6R is the best way to go for you. I would be patient. They fazed out the FZ6 for a reason, unless you really like the naked look of that bike, I would hold out on the FZ6R.
Well to be honest I like the look of both. I don't really plan on doing stupid stuff past 60mph but i would like to be able to zip around cars on the highway.

I am finding that I am more likely to get a better deal on a FZ6 just cuz it is older and discontinued. Maybe thats why I'm leaning towards it. I can get one thats a few years old with like 2000 miles for not much more than $4500, whereas its looking hard to find anything close to that in a 6R.

Ill keep my eyes out. but as of right now I don't know if I have enough to be swayed either direction right now. Ill probably go by a next best deal basis.

skidooguy86

ya i mean i got my 09 with 4000 miles for 5100 i would definatly talk him down in price, cause thats a ton of miles for an 09

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Well to be honest I like the look of both. I don't really plan on doing stupid stuff past 60mph but i would like to be able to zip around cars on the highway.

I am finding that I am more likely to get a better deal on a FZ6 just cuz it is older and discontinued. Maybe thats why I'm leaning towards it. I can get one thats a few years old with like 2000 miles for not much more than $4500, whereas its looking hard to find anything close to that in a 6R.

Ill keep my eyes out. but as of right now I don't know if I have enough to be swayed either direction right now. Ill probably go by a next best deal basis.
FZ6R is plenty quick up to 100MPH or so, and has more in the tank if you want to push. It won't snap your neck if you're doing 105 and nail it, but it still moves out pretty well. I've never ridden an FZ6, and I'm sure it's a fine Yamaha product, but the FZ6R seems more practical to me. The power curve is very user-friendly, and the ergos can't be beat. It's a really easy bike to ride around, and it doesn't punish you if you're riding a bit hot and aren't technically perfect. Also a very stylish bike for the price range it falls in to. I think it looks a lot better than an FZ6. That's just my .02, I hope you have success finding the bike for you, and I hope it's not too long for you before you're on a bike instead of choosing one. Good luck!

Superzoom

You know, I don't really know what it means to have more power up top.

My last bike was a Buell Blast that I moded to go as fast as i could on it. Its power band was in the mid range only.

Would a FZ6 not be good for commutes and longer riding at all? I'm not sure i completely understand the difference.
First off, this is the FZ6R forum, so don't expect completely unbiased opinions about the FZ6R! Although every person here chose the FZ6R for some good reason. If you check in with the FZ6 forum, I'm sure everyone there will think the FZ6 is pretty much perfect. From what I know, they're both great bikes.

The comment that the FZ6 doesn't have much power down low is from actual FZ6 owner comments. I've never ridden one, and don't know how I would like its power curve in the city and on the highway.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the FZ6R will beat the FZ6 from stoplight to stoplight, as it has a slightly faster 0-30 time. But I believe the FZ6 will beat the FZ6R to any higher speed. Thus, the comment that FZ6R is a better city bike.

Having said that, a bike's city rideability is all relative. I think the FZ6 will stomp your Blast in virtually every way. If you were fine with the Blast's acceleration, the FZ6 will feel quicker. I'm sure the FZ6 will feel fine for city riding for some, but as an FZ6R owner, I would be reluctant to go backwards in terms of low end torque.

The FZ6 will make a fine highway and touring bike. It's peaky, but just keep it in its powerband.

It's up to you to look at the FZ6's strengths and weaknesses and decide if it's the bike for you. You can't go too wrong either way, but if you're realistic about your wants and needs, you should be happy with one of these bikes.