Leaning Machine

roidrage

So I have come to the conclusion my bike doesn't lean anymore than i have gotten it. I have the stock size tire on front but a 170/60 on back. I use the whole front tire all the way to the wall, obviously im scrapping the crap out of the pegs. I still have some chicken scratch on the rear tire. I wanted to get new pegs to get rid of the guides on the stock pegs but i feel the front end of the bike would wash out... is this correct? if so i was reading a posting about suspension in the forums about the new suspension. If i get a stiffer suspension and change the rake of the bike will that change how far over i can get the bike? Just figured i could ask. Also i feel like i need more fz6r buddies over on the central coast of cali. I have not seen one.

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

What are feelers? :headscratch:

fz6rwolf

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just looking at the pic, you might be a little crossed up. It seems you are getting your butt off the seat, but your upper body appears to be more centered over the bike. If you lean your shoulders with your lower body and try to "kiss the mirror" you'll find that your lean will improve. Also, your outside arm should almost lay across the tank.

Your lean angle really doesn't mean squat. You can navigate corners much quicker by getting off the bike with proper form compared to someone that has bad form and is nearly riding on the sidewalls.

Brugge

.: Motorcycle Tire Tips | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

Thats a good article on tires. You might be right if your rear tire is of a different size or design than the front. They might not react the same...

Suspension geometry and intended design of the bike is going to limit your performance when it comes to cornering. Sounds to me like your at the limits of the FZ6R...time for a step up!!! R1:steve::steve:
Just another observation, also from the Canyon Chasers website in the news brief:

CanyonChasers.Net News Brought to you by the “Department of Bad Ideas”

"Because if you are riding correctly and have good posture, you will most likely have "chicken strips" (we even call them your "margin for error"). We've probably all seen riders who could barely negotiate a corner yet would brag about dragging footpegs. Lean angle is not an indication of skill."

cheers,
Kevin

Mart Man FZ6R

If you look at the little feelers on the bottom of the pegs, you'll find two small flat areas opposite from each other. If you get a small cresent wrench, you can tighten down on the flat spots and just unscrew the feelers. This was one of the first things I did. The FZ6 had these on both rider and passenger pegs, and I took those off too. I felt they were dangerous because my pant cuffs used to catch them when I rode to work, so off they came.

I also agree with what the others have pointed out that by shifting your weight more, you won't need to lean the bike over so far and you'll find your cornering speeds will actually increase.

Just stay safe and have fun.

Spunky99

If you look at the little feelers on the bottom of the pegs, you'll find two small flat areas opposite from each other. If you get a small cresent wrench, you can tighten down on the flat spots and just unscrew the feelers. This was one of the first things I did. The FZ6 had these on both rider and passenger pegs, and I took those off too. I felt they were dangerous because my pant cuffs used to catch them when I rode to work, so off they came.

I also agree with what the others have pointed out that by shifting your weight more, you won't need to lean the bike over so far and you'll find your cornering speeds will actually increase.

Just stay safe and have fun.
I noticed my cuffs on my work pants got caught in those feelers too.
I also noticed the rubber is hollow on the pegs and is really squishy.

I killed 2 birds with one stone here.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/aftermarket-foot-pegs-19283/

There is no slop in the new pegs and they fold up perfectly. Nice solid platform to work on!

dannymac702

Any advice or links to videos about proper techniques for gettin low in the twisties? Want to wear off my "chicken strips"

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Any advice or links to videos about proper techniques for gettin low in the twisties? Want to wear off my "chicken strips"
Watch re-runs of MotoGP and WSBK!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
^^^ I'll have what he's having! Bring me a beer while you're up! :p

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dannymac702

dannymac702:

Basically don't worry about chicken strips, they'll come off as you learn to ride the bike better... if you want to learn how to ride better (not "ride to get rid of chicken strips"), then there are some great books to get started:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f12/books-have-helped-you-ride-better-159/

that will get you only so far, practice, getting to a riding clinic or school, and just plain experience will get you the rest of the way.
My main concern was that if I pushed it to the point that that I was on my c strip area (about 1/2 inch) that there would be a sudden difference in the amount of traction on that previously unused area of the tire. Will take dart's advice about sandpaper and look into a riding clinic. After riding a dual sport (1989 Yamaha XT600) for 9 years with nasty a$$ knobbies on the street I have to learn cornering skills with this bike. Or is 1/2 inch strips about average for the average street rider?
PS. chicken strips with bbq sauce and beer:thumbup::thumbup:

Roaddawg

My main concern was that if I pushed it to the point that that I was on my c strip area (about 1/2 inch) that there would be a sudden difference in the amount of traction on that previously unused area of the tire. Will take dart's advice about sandpaper and look into a riding clinic. After riding a dual sport (1989 Yamaha XT600) for 9 years with nasty a$$ knobbies on the street I have to learn cornering skills with this bike. Or is 1/2 inch strips about average for the average street rider?
PS. chicken strips with bbq sauce and beer:thumbup::thumbup:
I ride fairly aggressive at times on the twisties and still have a little chicken strips left. With this bike and stock tires, your really pushing it to get rid of the strips...IMO. BTW, I believe when Dart told you to use sandpaper, he meant to make it "look" like you lean it that far over, not so much for scuffing the tire in for traction...but that probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I guess.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member