Leaning Machine

Would not bother to use sandpaper just for "looks". I'm not trying to impress anyone like that. Went for a ride yesterday that included some 2-lane thru the desert. The lead riders were going into "S" turns that were posted 50 MPH at about 105 MPH and I stayed with them. No change in the width of the "strips" that I could notice and I really dont care. This was the first time I really RODE the bike rather than just used it to commute. WHATTA RUSH !

Would not bother to use sandpaper just for "looks". I'm not trying to impress anyone like that. Went for a ride yesterday that included some 2-lane thru the desert. The lead riders were going into "S" turns that were posted 50 MPH at about 105 MPH and I stayed with them. No change in the width of the "strips" that I could notice and I really dont care. This was the first time I really RODE the bike rather than just used it to commute. WHATTA RUSH !

Wow.....I usually do about 20 to 30 mph above the posted speed but more than double is really fast!

Is your suspension stock? and if so what do you weigh?

Last edited:
Suspension is stock-rear preload is on 3 and I weigh 155 without gear. Must admit that it was NOT a smart or safe thing to do.

Suspension is stock-rear preload is on 3 and I weigh 155 without gear. Must admit that it was NOT a smart or safe thing to do.

I am the same weight and I have mine on 5. If you change it, I think you will like how much better it handles.

Just think if I were to do the same thing weighing in at 210 lbs.:eek:

I am the same weight and I have mine on 5. If you change it, I think you will like how much better it handles.

Will set on 5 and give it a try.

Whoa! Big difference! Same here, similar weight, changed it to "5." Wow.

Whoa! Big difference! Same here, similar weight, changed it to "5." Wow.

See, it just handles better. It doesn't seem to squat into corners as much as it tips into them now. Also, it doesn't bounce as much either.

thought i saw some MCN videos on your tube on leaning

Changed my setting to 5 last night. Took it on a local ride and WOW I'm loving it. I also lowered the angle on the handle bars and it's way more comfortable for me. I'm 5' 9" 180 pounds. Going to try out setting 6 and see how that is.

Previously the setting was stock at 3

i'm sorry but what are you changing? the rear shock level? I really want to get bettery cornering so I did the FWD position with bars and have it low.....i think i just tap the gas tank turning all the way but it indeed turns much easier. At first i thought it was twitchy but just wasnt used to it, now I am. So just adjust the rear shock to 5 and test away?

i'm sorry but what are you changing? the rear shock level? I really want to get bettery cornering so I did the FWD position with bars and have it low.....i think i just tap the gas tank turning all the way but it indeed turns much easier. At first i thought it was twitchy but just wasnt used to it, now I am. So just adjust the rear shock to 5 and test away?

Yes. I would also recommend raising the forks (lowering the front end) about 5mm to start. Makes a world of a difference in how quick it will dip into the corners.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/raising-forks-19281/

Mine are at about 8mm now. I may go more, not sure yet.

I would also highly recommend upgrading your front and rear springs as well as heavier after market fork oil. I went with all Hyperpro

Last edited:
I have my hyperpro rear spring, which is A LOT stiffer than stock set at 5. That would maybe be like having the stock set at 7? I get no bounce in the corners at all, and its great with my wife on the back. If I wasnt hitting the corners so hard, i would use this for 2 up but put it back to maybe 4 for regular everyday stuff. I'm happy with it where it is though for what I do. Couldnt imagine it any stiffer though... might try it just to see how it handles. Would be like 9 on the stock shock if it had it! haha

I'm about 220 pounds fully geared.

Yes. I would also recommend raising the forks (lowering the front end) about 5mm to start. Makes a world of a difference in how quick it will dip into the corners.

I would also highly recommend upgrading your front and rear springs as well as heavier after market fork oil. I went with all Hyperpro

+1
I went with a 1.5mm raise in the front and feel a definite change in that the bike loves to turn into a corner now.

I swapped the front and rear springs and with 15 wt fork oil it is truly a different bike. I went with all RaceTech.

This is a posted 20 mph corner. I still have about 1/2 inch of strip left. Wont call them "chicken strips". I willl call them... "SHIT-SHIT-SHIT! Glad I still have some lean left since I need it right now!!!" strips :D

picture.php

picture.php

I like to know I have some tire left if I get too hot into a corner and need to push the bike further into the lean to save my ass.

With good form and riding technique, you can rail corners and have strip on the tire left. Dont focus on getting rid of the strips. Focus on better riding techniques, proper form, what line you should take and follow through the corner on, etc. I dont care one bit about how much is left on my tire, except the fact that its there when I need it.

You should never ride 100% of your ability. You really need to leave some wiggle room in there for the unexpected decreasing radius turn, something in the road, etc.

i will give this a shot, thx for the tip

Back