Just got out of the hospital. I messed up.

lmacasiljig

Yeah I agree to wear your gear all the time. I am sorry to hear what happened to you and your dad. It's a second chance for you and it is blessings to you and to your family. Hope you recover soon! All the best.

pyrocpu

Glad to see you're making progress; you've been posting more! And being only able to use your left arm--no worries--you can play stranger for the next few weeks... ;)

All kidding aside, I'm glad to read about your beginning recovery. If I were in your shoes, I'd also be as worried about my father too. I sincerely hope that you, but more importantly he is recovering from all this. How has your daughter taken it thus far?

One key difference here between you and me is that you're riding with folks you trust. There aren't a whole lot of folks here I'd trust with whom to ride... I'm worried if I ride off the road, into a culvert, with no one around... would I EVER find help in a case like this?? :(

Superzoom

Hi Jspansel,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I was actually avoiding clicking on your posting, as I get really spooked just hearing about other people's accidents. You see, I've had my own share of them. Just about one year ago, I was on my Sportster on a back road in Alberta when I hit a deer in the middle of the afternoon at 100 kph. Went flying off the bike, rolled and rolled and rolled along the road. My knee was pretty bad for about two months after that, but then I slowly got back to about 95% ability in it.

I assume you had armour or a shoulder pad in your one piece. Do you think your shoulder would have been worse without the armour in place? I suppose shoulder pads are not designed to take the weight of your entire body flying through the air and landing hard on them.

I'm a little surprised that you are not considering getting a "slower" bike after the accident. You said you are done playing racer, but now you are considering a very powerful bike (FZ1) and an all out super sport (R1). These are two bikes designed to go very, very fast. I believe firmly in the adage that "it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike". It's just great fun to really flog a bike hard and not have it attempt to kill you every time you open up the throttle. Frankly, the FZ6R is great fun for a beginner or even an intermediate rider because the power is so linear and manageable. I find it pretty hard to get in trouble on even when I'm cranking the throttle.

So basically what I'm saying is that if you're serious about slowing down a bit and cruising, you might want to consider a different kind of bike than an open class or a super sport. Cruisers (don't laugh!) are really fun to ride at 7/10 pace on a backroad, and are actually fun at any speed. That's why I really loved my Sportster. I would also consider a Triumph Bonneville. That's a beautiful bike that still has a 115 mph top speed but only about 60 hp.

Conversely, there is NO WAY you will be able to resist blasting backroads or testing your bike's acceleration and top speed with an R1. Doing the speed limit or even 10 or 20 mph over would be pretty dull.

Anyways, it might give your family a bit of piece of mind to see you on a "slower" bike. And it might surprise you how much fun a slower bike can be.

I recall that after my own accident, I seriously considered giving up riding. But in just two days I was dreaming about a new bike.

One last thing... I'm glad your bike is a write off, because it's potentially dangerous to ride a crashed bike. If the forks, frame or swingarm are tweaked, the bike can develop headshake and get into tankslappers. Don't ride that bike again.

Take care, Jspansel, and I hope you and your father make a full recovery.

Last edited:

ksanbon

J,

I'm glad you're feeling better and focusing on your future. Big step from your first post!
Regarding the fz1, I've read enough of your posts that I trust your judgement. Get whatever you want.

JSP

Super Moderator
Hey everyone. Well, My shoulder has been feeling tremendously better than the first few days after the crash. It still hurts like absolute hell, but its much better than it was. I have been trying to move it a little and get it to stretch a bit. I cant put any weight on my arm at all or lift my arm up like I am reaching for something. It feels like something is clipping and popping in there and hurts so bad. If I just have it resting at my side on a pillow or in my sling it feels much better and I can type almost pain free like that.

Wednesday I go in for more tests to see how it is doing. Hoping for the best.

My father is doing good. His heart is stabilized so far. They said he will continue to go into A FIB for the rest of his life. He has like 13 pills he has to take everyday now. Hopefully it stays manageable and he starts to really take better care of his body. He has to change his lifestyle and the way he eats. I believe he can do it.

Well, about the bike situation. I know I have flip-flopped a bit just this last week :rolleyes: Anytime after an accident like that I can assume most would say and feel the way I did. It hurt seeing my family like that. My wife said never again, and she usually means it. We have been talking a lot these last few days and neither of us want me to give up what I love so much. I know I can ride slow and be happy, but I dont know if I can give up the sport bike. I love it.

Somehow she just fell in love with the new white 2010 R6 and wants me to get that :D Its all very confusing to me too... trust me.

I will always have the crash in the back of my head and the pain my family and I have gone through. I know my limits on the road and I know not to push them. Like I said, this crash had nothing to do with what bike I had. It was plainly my fault alone. I dont care if the people I am riding with have to wait a little bit for me at the waiting spots on the mountain. And if it is too much for them to do, then I wont ride with them anymore. I will not push my limits and my safety for anyone. They are very good about that. They dont want anyone to crash by trying to keep up. I know what can happen. I will ride my ride.

I appreciate all of the good thoughts for my father and I. Hopefully I am back riding here soon, as long as there is no internal damage to my shoulder.

I mean, just look at this thing! :)

Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
fixed :) .

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

joloy133

Great news, thanks for update. Take your time and get straight with your thoughts on the bike situation. (The new bikes get better all the time!)

JSP

Super Moderator
Just heard back from the insurance about the bike. Total loss. They valued it at $5500. After my deductible and helmet being paid for. All said and done I am walking away with about $670 in my pocket. They wanted a buyback of $2700 for it which is just way too high. So I am letting it go.

On the search for my new bike ;) Not able to ride for a couple weeks though at least :(

pyrocpu

Oooh... R6 is available in white now! Didn't know! :)

Devil's advocate: wouldn't the riding posture of the R6 put more stress on your shoulder? :(

Devil's advocate #2: What about a BMW S1000RR?? A liiitle more pricey, but what a bike!

For me, next bike: Triumph Street Triple R. YUM. Devil's advocate #3: What about a Triumph Daytona 675? It'd be a bit cheaper than the R6...

Good to hear pops is doing well now too. :)

W

whatever

sorry to hear about your mishap

best wishes and i hope everybody gets well soon.

father doing better thats great !!.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Jeez Jason! I don't visit the forum for a couple weeks and come back to this? First, thank God you had the sense to wear your gear (take fricken notes you nay-sayers! ;) ) ATGATT is the only way to ride. There are MANY bikes out there to be had but we only have one Jason.

You said the key words earlier... Ride your ride. Most accidents are from peer pressure and people driving beyond their limits trying to keep up with the others. This can only have a bad ending. Being uber-tired, I wished you'd listened to your instincts but we cannot change the past. Now you know and you'll never let it happen again.

As for Dad, also glad to hear he is OK! A-Fib is a problem a guy can deal with so long as he takes the proper path. I have a friend who is now 62 and has lived with it just fine for almost 12 years. All the best to him!

Get mended up and worry about a bike later. Fix Jason first and the bike problem will fix itself. ;) So glad to see you typing all this. Too many times, others are telling what happened and that is never good!

Take care!

-Eric

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Having come from the FZ6 and now having my FZ1 and my wife's FZ6R to toy with? Well, the FZ6R compared to the FZ1.... the FZ1 is what I call "Stupid FAST". While it may not seem like a ton more HP, you also have to take into consideration the power to weight ratio. The FZ6R weighs 467 lbs at 78 hp. The FZ1 weighs 487 lbs at 139 hp. That is 0.167 HP per lb of bike for the FZ6R and 0.285 per lb of FZ1. A difference of .118 hp per lb. That is very significant. If you ever have the opportunity to twist the throttle on an FZ1 and notch redline in 1st gear, then second, you will know why I say "Stupid FAST"

I'm not saying that there's any one rider who cannot handle the FZ1 but I can say this with all certainty... Riders who want an FZ1 (and even more so for an R1), had damned well better have a solid connection between what is grasping the throttle and what is under the helmet. The single most important piece of safety gear is what is between the rider's ears. If that gets disconnected, all bets are off. Ask Jason here and this was on a 78 hp machine.

Upgrading the any liter bike is absolutely FINE all. You can do it. But I beg you to never consider it if you cannot control your throttle hand. Please!?!?

Jason, I think that after this accident, you might want to reconsider a bike with such harsh ergos as the R6 or R1. Those cannot be easily modified should you find it uncomfortable. I sincerely hope your shoulder recovers 100% but in the event it doesn't, I'd hate for you to discover that you simply cannot ride those ergos and have to take a big hit in the wallet trying to move to a more comfortable ride. Not saying you shouldn't, but please consider it. I think you should wait until you know what the shoulder will be capable of first.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
One more thought... you said your wife rides pillion? Has she sat on the back of an R6/R1? They were not built for passengers even though that is an option. Very harsh ride for a pillion. The FZ1 isn't a whole lot better for a passenger either. :( Perhaps the two of you need to go try some bikes once you've mended? See what fits for both of you?

in the beginning, you said the FZ1 is a bike you could live with for a long time. Well, after buying mine, I feel even more so that this is THE bike. It really does everything I can ask of her and without complaint. I think you'd find it to be the answer to all your needs. I'd only suggest upgrading the seats to Corbin with the backrest for your wife. THEN, she'll really love to ride with you. ;)

Superfly

I just re-read your first post and have a couple questions.

Did you drink lots the night before? And if so do you think you might still have had some alcohol in your system? I know its something like 24hrs for alcohol to get out of your inner ear and eyes or something...

Also you said your bike wasnt leaning right...did you have a tire going flat or were your tires cold due to the early morning?

I've read that staying up for 24hrs is similar to being impaired...Do you think that fatiuge was the biggest factor?

Just curious to know your thoughts on the accident now that you've had lots of time to think about it...

JSP

Super Moderator
I just re-read your first post and have a couple questions.

Did you drink lots the night before? And if so do you think you might still have had some alcohol in your system? I know its something like 24hrs for alcohol to get out of your inner ear and eyes or something...

Also you said your bike wasnt leaning right...did you have a tire going flat or were your tires cold due to the early morning?

I've read that staying up for 24hrs is similar to being impaired...Do you think that fatiuge was the biggest factor?

Just curious to know your thoughts on the accident now that you've had lots of time to think about it...

It was absolutely fatigue and maybe still some alcohol, I dont know. I did drink a bit the night before. Maybe 8 or 9 beers but over the course of about 7-8 hours. So I was probably a bit dehydrated and definitely tired on little, very little sleep. I learned my lesson for sure on this. Trust your body, your instincts, and definitely get sleep.