jury duty

JSP

Super Moderator
Yay... Got called into jury duty this morn. Sitting here waiting for jury selection. At least my work keeps paying me and i dont have to use pto or vacation time. Supposed to be a 2 day trial. Suppose its better than workin ;). Gettin paid either way. Kind of hope i get selected. Would be interesting... Never done it before. Said we could wait jere all day just waiting for the selection.

Spunky99

I waited all day and just before they let us go, they sent us to a courtroom and they said the rules were suspended and it was going to be a 6 week trial. I had no vacation, holiday or jury pay so that meant I would lose my job, apartment, car and everything else and be a homeless person after serving on the jury.

I called sidebar when my name was called, walked up to the Judge and Attorneys and told them I just recently had a hemorrhoidectomy and I was in pain and I was on vicodin. Before I could finish I was told to leave by the prosecutor....LOL....

JSP

Super Moderator
Www! Ya if it turns out like that I'm screwed haha. I only get 3 days full pay for jury duty.

DragonBlu

I waited all day and just before they let us go, they sent us to a courtroom and they said the rules were suspended and it was going to be a 6 week trial. I had no vacation, holiday or jury pay so that meant I would lose my job, apartment, car and everything else and be a homeless person after serving on the jury.

I called sidebar when my name was called, walked up to the Judge and Attorneys and told them I just recently had a hemorrhoidectomy and I was in pain and I was on vicodin. Before I could finish I was told to leave by the prosecutor....LOL....
I guess he thought you were an a-hole John? :D

Chucker

Spunky99

Here in CA they don't care. There is no financial hardship excuse allowed.
The only ones that get off a jury are students and they only get the duty deferred to a Christmas or Spring or Summer break period. They get a lot of crap if they haven't already figured out how to defer it to a non-school period. It's almost impossible to get a caretaker excuse too..every one got denied and told to pay for another person to care for their Mother or whatever. The court doesn't care if you have to pay $500.00 a day for a caregiver while you serve on a jury. Telling the Judge you are prejudiced is a good way to get a contempt of court charge and a big fine. Not showing is a big fine.

I thought I was being pretty creative...No one wanted to verify my excuse....LOL

roadrat

LMAO... best excuse I ever heard. :D

DragonBlu

I have been called many times;Federal,county,city but have never served on a jury. Something about me they just don't like I guess. I was a key witness at a murder trial and I spent six weeks on that 6 years ago and they are long and boring but interesting at times. It is also very heart breaking to see a victims family go through that.

JSP

Super Moderator
Ahhh damn! I got put on the jury! They didnt even ask me but one question. Somethin about if i think I should judge it based on law. Well duh.

Last edited:

Spunky99

Hang em high...:D

JSP

Super Moderator
Hang em high...:D
Done! :). We finished tonight so not going tomorrow. Definitely an experience. I'm glad I got the chance. It was a drug case and fairly cut and dry. Took us about 45 mins to hash it all out in deliberation. 11-1 guilty.

Lesson to anyone in oregon... Law is that any amount what-so-ever equals possession. That means that residue in your meth pipe will get ya a guilty verdict for possession of meth!

BoneJj

Done! :). We finished tonight so not going tomorrow. Definitely an experience. I'm glad I got the chance. It was a drug case and fairly cut and dry. Took us about 45 mins to hash it all out in deliberation. 11-1 guilty.

Lesson to anyone in oregon... Law is that any amount what-so-ever equals possession. That means that residue in your meth pipe will get ya a guilty verdict for possession of meth!
cocaine is a hell of a drug.

cocaine - YouTube

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

kevin8198

Elite Member

Spunky99

If they are in court.....they are guilty.....of something...

JSP

Super Moderator
If they are in court.....they are guilty.....of something...
A guy tried to use that line to get out of it haha. It of course worked, since they were just tired of his blatant attempts to get out of it. They didn't want him there either. Judge was sure to make a fool of him first though in front of everyone.

JSP

Super Moderator
Meth is a wretched terrible drug, if there was any kind of proof it was his/hers I would have "thrown the book at 'em"
Was a traffic stop. Got pulled over, taken out of the car and patted down. Cop felt something in coat pocket. Asked what it was. Guy says its a pipe. Never once denied it was his jacket, never once denied it was his pipe.

The whole point of this trial was to determine if it was still technically meth in the pipe (the residue) and if he knowingly possessed it. Officer test proved it was meth, and crime lab proved it was meth. He knowingly possessed the pipe since he told the officer he had it, so he knowingly possessed the drug. Oregon = any amount = possession, no matter how small of an amount.

So he did not get a paraphernalia charge, but rather a possession of methamphetamine charge.

Whether we agree if residue should = possession or not was not up for debate in the court. Oregon law is law and that is what we must go bye in the jury. That was the biggest thing for us to try and sway the other jurors to get through their head.

If it was not on his person and not his car and it was under the seat or something, then he would have went free from us. We would not have proof that he "knowingly" possessed it. There was no denial of anything. His whole defense was that residue does not equal substance. Horrible defense because Oregon law says it does. Shitty defense lawyer.

Done deal :thumbup:

Last edited:

DragonBlu

The law is the law. It's simple"If you don't want to do the time.............Don't get caught. Well done Jay!