Josh Herrin Fined and Suspended for Daytona 200

MikeN02

DMG: Herrin Suspended For One Event, Team Fined For Daytona Actions
Monday, March 21, 2011

This just in:

AMA Pro Racing Announces Details of Assessed
Penalties and Fine

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DAYTONA BEACH, FL (March 21, 2011) - AMA Pro Racing announced today that penalties and an accompanying fine have been assessed against Josh Herrin and Graves Motorsports, respectively, as the result of actions during the March 12 Daytona 200, specifically those related to the rider's last-lap approach to start/finish. As per the AMA Pro Road Racing 2011 Rule Book, rules A1.1, A2.1, A2.3.p, and A2.3.u, the details of the penalties and fine are as follows:

Rider penalty: One-event suspension, to be applied at Infineon Raceway Round 2, May 13-15

Rider penalty: Season-long probation, in effect through December 31, 2011, the violation of which shall result in further and more-serious penalties

Team penalty: $7,500 fine, the entire proceeds of which will be applied to the purchase of additional Airfence

Both rider and team were notified of the above details in advance of this release, and the penalties do not prevent them from taking part in the May 2-3 official AMA Pro test at Miller Motorsports Park.

AMA Pro Racing thanks all involved parties for their patience. A copy of the 2011 AMA Pro Road Racing rulebook can be downloaded at http://amaproracing.com/assets/AMAPr...1-Rulebook.pdf
Graves Yamaha's Josh Herrin suspended for Infineon, put on probation by AMA - Sport Rider Magazine

Video for those who don't know:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYax09u5Bdk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - 2011 Daytona 200 Last Lap[/ame]

My opinion that you don't care about:
That's just stupid, accidents happen especially at the last lap where everyone is fighting for positions. When you're riding so close like that with elbows out an accident is sure to happen.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

Am I seeing things?
I saw a bike sideswipe another bike 2 times. The second time the guy that was sideswiped took out another bike. This is motorcycles, not NASCAR....
You don't crash another rider on purpose.

Which bike got the fine? The one that did the sideswipe?

MikeN02

Am I seeing things?
I saw a bike sideswipe another bike 2 times. The second time the guy that was sideswiped took out another bike. This is motorcycles, not NASCAR....
You don't crash another rider on purpose.

Which bike got the fine? The one that did the sideswipe?
Yeah the one that first hit the guy. Josh Herrin in Team Yamaha Blue R6.

There's a rider, then Josh, then josh hits wesby and wesby wipes out taking another rider along with him.

Josh bumped his elbow with wesby's hand I assume causing him to hit his front brake thus wiping out.

Spunky99

Yeah the one that first hit the guy. Josh Herrin in Team Yamaha Blue R6.

There's a rider, then Josh, then josh hits wesby and wesby wipes out taking another rider along with him.

Josh bumped his elbow with wesby's hand I assume causing him to hit his front brake thus wiping out.
Then I agree with the fine and suspension and if the other rider was hurt, compensation.
If you intentionally crash another rider in a race and they die, is it murder?

Things like this make my blood boil........

The guys that passed me up in the last race did so in such a way as to do it cleanly and not cause me any anxiety although they did so both inside and outside the line...LOL I'm used to motocross where there is lots of contact so being that close is nothing to me. Crashing into me on purpose on a street course at close to 200 mph is a very different.....

JSP

Super Moderator
Hmmm... lookin at the video full screen, you see Josh swerve towards him twice until he folds it under him. Looked intentional to me. But I dont know 100% what was going on, just my opinion.

DragonBlu

You might get away with it once,but go back in for a second shot and it's going to confirm the intension. Not a good move on his part.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Sage

I agree with Jon, I don't think it was intentional, but those bikes were all over the place and it escaladed into a dangerous situation with so many bikes so close together on what seemed like a track that kept them unstable from the footage of many of them weaving throughout the video. I don't think he deserves the fine, but it may make him an example to help prevent something like this from happening again.

Detrich

Is westby and the other rider ok? That crash looked nasty :(

Detrich

i watched the video again very closely... and, it's only shot from the front. so, we would need some side view camera footage to really know to what extent Herrin "pushed" Westby into the rider behind Westby on the yellow bike...

Herrin definitely moves to the left repeatedly in a pressuring way- ie squeezing Westby over. but, looking at the footage from the front, the guy on the yellow bike behind Westby was also clearly drafting off him. so, when Westby slows down for that split second, the guy behind him totally clips his rear wheel sending both of them to the ground.

what's really amazing is the control and calm the rider on the white bike behind the yellow guy is as the crash is literally exploding right in front of him. and, he navigates thru completely unscathed...

in a race, all riders put themselves in obviously dangerous positions- ie tailgating/ drafting, squeezing in tight spots etc etc. so, it's true that that is part of the sport.

but, imo, the fine is more of a method of deterring and discouraging outright dangerous behavior or movements that could "potentially" result in a crash... in all fairness, the accident most likely was because the guy on the yellow bike behind Westby was following too close. but, it was Herrin's movement that created the circumstances that forced Westby to slow down and jerk to the left, upon which the accident then occurred like a chain reaction of bad events...

so, i think the fine is more an admonishment to all the riders to not do that kinda shit. good to know none of them were seriously hurt.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member