Is a Hollow Rubbing Noise Normal?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
The chain on these bikes are pretty loud. That may be it.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Only real noises ive heard with this bike is chain, or a slight tic or slight whine. All normal. Not sure of a hollow type sound. Besides the normal engine noise. Will a video pick it up?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Deanohh

Coast along or go downhill at a speed where you hear the noise.pull in the clutch to lower engine noise or kill the engine in neutral then apply a little front brake on and off. If it changes the sound then it's the pad sound on the rotors. You hear that on all bikes but if excessive, the pins that carry the calipers or the caliper pistons might be rough or sticking.

If they drag enough to get hot, could be something screwey at the master cyl or if aftermarket levers might not be releasing properly.

A rough wheel bearing can sound funny too....probably the pads, though.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

LFReason

Well it's obvious how frustrating this "noise" is seeing how very few have heard it. I hear it. Heard it since day one. Next person that claims it is a chain gets banned. I swear... It's not the f'ing chain!!!! I've heard people say its the tires also but that's not it.

I'll tell you what it is.. It's the front brake pads RUBBING the disks!

I know, as I live on trouble shooting, i removed the pads on mine and rode around and it was gone.

Noise stayed over 4k miles because I don't use brakes as much as most riders. Something I grew accustomed to over the last 14 years.

Any ways that's it.. Sounds like a hollow noise because it is echoing against the inside of the front fender.

Tadaaaaa.
Hi Uno. I was wondering if you could please give a step by step on how you were able to prevent the pads from rubbing up against the disks. I recently bought my FZ6R and I have a buzzing sound as well and I initially thought that maybe there is a screw loose that is vibrating somewhere but we might be talking about the same issue and I wish to try your method to fix the problem.

Please and thank you!