Installed a 190 rear.

miketriebsch

I bought a 190 cheap. So I decided this was a good time to try it out. So far I like it. Love the height increase. I haven't attempted to top it out with the 190, but my guess is ill get a few more miles per hour on top end but idk. It slows it down quite a bit on take off though. What do you think? Any questions?

***Edited*** DO NOT DO THIS MOD!!!! Please read for full report.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

tzrox

Almost looks dangerous, hehe. Maybe its the perspective but it looks like you barely have any room left. How does a tire that big change your lean angle options and/or grip?

miketriebsch

This particular tire has a lot of grip. So I feel very comfortable. My favorite part is the height difference, when I throw it into corners I find it a lot easier to drop off the side of the bike, on occasion I would drag a peg even when hanging off the side, but with it higher I haven't hit the peg yet. There's only a pinkys width between tire and the chain guard lol.

JSP

Super Moderator
No, it is dangerous. That tire is pinched WAY too much for that rim. It is not meant to be on there. You now have a much higher risk of busting the bead and losing air. You will have a harder time getting it to lean over as well.

The bike was not designed to run that tire. Its not safe. Can't believe a shop mounted it for you... I would stay away from that shop. They obviously have no conscience.

Brock Kickass

^ What he said. That tire is designed on the assumption of being run on a wider rim. I manage a tire shop and there is no shortage of amazingly dangerous things rolling in my door every day. Whoever did that either didn't know any better or didn't give a crap about what happens when you roll down the road. Probably not what you want to hear, but better you find out here than on a top speed test. BTW, your speedometer is keyed off wheel revolutions, so your dash speed is even more inaccurate with that tire on.

miketriebsch

My friend is races AMA. So we used his tire machine to put it on. I only paid 80 for the tire that someone only used to dial in there suspension. It definitely has a steep pitch to it, I was really just curious as to how it would feel, and was surprised. It is not as bad as it seems. The pitch of the tire made it pretty fun to play around on today. You get the feeling you can just throw the bike though a corner. I wouldnt tell anyone to buy a 190 because yes it can be dangerous. As far as clocking a top speed I use a gps. The tire I am running is the dunlop sportmax gp, great tire btw just expensive.

:america:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

miketriebsch

yea true....I would really like to find another rim for the rear like an fz8 wheel which is a 5.5 but i am not sure if it would even work. I have never seen a thread on it yet. :america:

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

06330i

Looks good, but for safety reasons I'd never go bigger than a 170, plus its heavier so you lose acceleration, not worth the risk for me.

JSP

Super Moderator
Looks good, but for safety reasons I'd never go bigger than a 170, plus its heavier so you lose acceleration, not worth the risk for me.
Yes, the weight is a big issue as well. Its not just added weight, its added rotational mass weight. Makes a huge difference... in a negative way.

6R Blackout

Which brings up my question, could a rim of 5.5" be put on our bike and work? Just asking I will probably never do that, but would like to know. I just put a 170 on the rear and before I got it mounted I put the 170 up against the old 160 and just 10mm was a big difference. Now that the 170 is mounted you really can't tell but it's as big as I will go due to safety reasons and such!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

JSP

Super Moderator
FZ6R rear rim is 5.5".

It is 4.5" i believe. They would not put a 160 tire on a 5.5 rim. Standard rim for 160 tire is 4.5"

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

IS there anything more than aesthetic improvements with a wider tyre?

The 4 different tyre places I have been pricing with all stated the same thing
"having a wider tyre has no increase in contact patch/ grip area and likelihood of being able to lean the bike over further to even reach the outside edge is nill."

JSP

Super Moderator
IS there anything more than aesthetic improvements with a wider tyre?

The 4 different tyre places I have been pricing with all stated the same thing
"having a wider tyre has no increase in contact patch/ grip area and likelihood of being able to lean the bike over further to even reach the outside edge is nill."
Nope .