Hyperpro Suspension Upgrade

Spunky99

Spunky,

I will be doing a detailed write up with LOTS of pics when I get to the install. You need a spring compressor to get the spring off of the rear. Once I have the assembly out, I will swing it by a shop down here and they will ususally do a quick swap like that for a $20 in the palm ;). Another guy I saw got his swapped for a $5! So I may start low haha

FZ1inNH,

No, they did not say anything about weight, height, etc. Bike based, not rider. From the part numbers it looks like its just the springs and thats it. Comes with oil. No other options I did not see anything regarding lowering springs either. Only one that had that option was the FZ6, not the XJ6/FZ6R.
I have strut spring compressors....

JSP

Super Moderator
I have strut spring compressors....
Not sure if full size ones for cars will be able to fit inbetween the springs on the bike, but if they work they work! :thumbup:

Spunky99

JSP

Super Moderator
Hmm... thinking about it now, do I get a choice in spring color or am I stuck with purple? I now see on the link above it states black or purple. They didnt ask me.

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok, black spring it is! I called and they said I can indeed have it as black if I want. So no purple spring :cool:

Spunky99

Ok, black spring it is! I called and they said I can indeed have it as black if I want. So no purple spring :cool:
Since the stock spring is RED, and we both have YELLOW bikes, the black is an obvious improvement.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

joloy133

Okay so seriously. Someone posted it cost them $500 then $1800? I think i'm lost. But these kits are $280? - NVM was for two different kits yes?

Man I can swap the front out by myself in a weekend. Might be a good idea to get the woman involved and put her to work too he he :wav: :steve:
I wrote some time ago that the front spring with oil was under $300, kit with front and rear springs and fork oil under $500. The racetech mod for our bikes was $1800 but included the emulator valves and rear spring was to remain but could be changed to their shock which had better valving and adjustability. For cost and my use the hyperpro switch for under $500 was the ticket. For aggressive riders the racetech solution has more options to dial in. Theres info on suspension set up on the net worth researching to help decide how far to go with this.

JSP

Super Moderator
^^ Was that having someone else install it? The front and back combo is $280 shipped. I will be doing it myself though, so no labor but my own.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

ajkewler

Has anyone installed these springs on a bike that has the lowering links and has the forks lowered as well? I notice someone asked if there was a 1/2 inch drop version of the spring but if I wanted to just go ahead and get these so combined with the 1.75 drop i'm getting from the lowering links maybe dropping it another 1.5 inch via the springs wouldn't be too bad. She's a tiny girl.

husker525

If the front forks are lowered, you will be that much farther into the progression of the springs, meaning the ride may be somewhat harsher for her using the HyperPro system. An alternative is to merely cut the spring off a few millimeters depending on how far the front forks are dropped. I really think that the difference would not be noticeable and cutting the springs would be unnecessary. If it is too harsh, go with a lighter weight fork oil or a slightly smaller amount.

joloy133

Has anyone installed these springs on a bike that has the lowering links and has the forks lowered as well? I notice someone asked if there was a 1/2 inch drop version of the spring but if I wanted to just go ahead and get these so combined with the 1.75 drop i'm getting from the lowering links maybe dropping it another 1.5 inch via the springs wouldn't be too bad. She's a tiny girl.
Lowering the front forks should not effect the front springs. (You slide the complete front suspension assembly up the triple tree, lowering the bike not compressing anything.) Regarding the rear shock assembly I would start by checking rear sag and setting preload to 1 and ride a comfortable route for her. (For a comparison, go from 1 to 7 on the second run so she can sense the change. Then dial in 1, 2, 3, to where she likes it.)

SAFE-T

If the front forks are lowered, you will be that much farther into the progression of the springs.
I thought it was a shorter spring overall...how would this affect the spring rate ? Unless the springs are firmer to begin with to limit the amount they compress so they won't bottom out given the reduced amount of suspension travel..., plus the reduced amount of space between the front wheel and hard parts the wheel is not supposed to make contact with.

adidas01kg

I got the hyper pro spring kit installed at the end of the season last year and it was a great improvement for us shorter riders. I live in NJ so I got them installed directly by EPM Performance everyone there was very helpful and it made ridding even more enjoyable. I hated having to stand on my tippy toes at red lights.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member