How to make the FZ6R rev higher?

Hellgate

Have your ECU reflashed and have them remove the rev limiter with the new flash. Use at your own risk.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Bruno

What part in the engine do you think can't handle more rpm (since it shares many parts with R6 and FZ6)? I intend to do others mods, just wanted to know in case the power band dislocate upward and my ECU (now I know) limits the rev too early...

Chevyfazer

Listen to Marty, he has fz6 cams in his bike and more mods then I think anyone else period. Even with the fz6 cams he still would not benefit from raising the rev limiter from 12.5k. Do you not feel how it starts to loose power on the top end?

If you really don't then just look at this dyno, see how the power drops after a certain point, yeah that's not going to change by upping the rev limiterImageUploadedByTapatalk1354618923.514894.jpg

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

BoneJj

What part in the engine do you think can't handle more rpm (since it shares many parts with R6 and FZ6)? I intend to do others mods, just wanted to know in case the power band dislocate upward and my ECU (now I know) limits the rev too early...
If anything just swap the motor for an r6 engine, then you get all that reving and power on a comfortable bike.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Bruno

If I were in anywhere else, I definitely would end up getting an R6... But im in Brazil, so here goes some reasons:

-R6 is not officially sold here. Some people get it throught independent importation. We do have the others SS, cbr's, zx's, srad's and R1. Though they cost over 25 grand.

-My bike was financed, and I would need to finish paying it before selling it (this will happen in 3 years).

-If I spend 1 or 2 grand for the FZ6's camshaft chain, sprocket, camshaft, ECU and etc... And get 15hp, it is great for me... The closest in price and more powerfull bike is honda cb600f hornet, which has 100hp... But this trade off would cost me 4 grand.

-And last, it would fun to see this job done!

Hellgate

The power will drop off. My R6 will spin to 16,000 or so. My FZ6 did Rev well past 12,500. A lot has to do with the flow capability of the head.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Bruno

Now see, if you had said you were looking for more POWER in the beginning instead of HIGHER RPM's, this thread would have gone much better. Because in case it's not obvious: Higher RPM =/= Moar Power. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Cuz i've been following Marthy's camshaft swap thread for a while and also i've reading about how the camshafts work and etc. What i really had no idea about was how the the rev limiter works (And which part is responsable for command it)... So, let's say i'm not worried the engine wear, would the FZ6 ECU fit FZ6R/XJ6? Does anyone know?

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

danieljardim

i can only imagine with taxes and all in brazil..... the mods you would have to do to make an fz6r rev like a super sport would cost almost as much as an r6 in the u.s....or maybe the base price of an fz6r here... from what i have been told and understand.... the fz6r in the U.S is just shy of 8k..... in brazil if i understand correctly that would be just short of 16k.....i woulda gone with the hornet to start with if i was you... its been around a while and is probably cheaper than what you got..... but you have what you have.... now you just do whats reasonable and what will make the best of it.
You are right jon. Taxes in Brazil are absolutely insane.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Getlow4OG

Since "making more power" is the subject here. I notice through this thread about the 6R head not flowing well enough. Correct me on that if I'm wrong.
If I'm right, would porting the head help at all? I know on my truck I ported out my exhaust, intake, and valve bowls to help the head flow better. Could be way off on this one though lol

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

FastFreddy

It feels like the bottom end could easily spin up another 1500rpm. It's an R6 engine with 1-2 mm more stroke afterall.

The top end was designed to make power in a specific range though and probably wouldn't take to well to the extra revs.

You'd need to hack the ECU and put fancy valve springs in. It wouldn't make more power though without the cam change too.

It's got a high compression ratio stock, so you'd have to be an experienced engine builder with loads of spare cash to even think about it, or just buy an R6.

Last edited: