How to make the FZ6R rev higher?

Bruno

Back to this subject...I still need some help from you guys to make my bike rev highier! I may lose power, blow the engine, whatever, but i want to know how to do it... Just to update you, i did FZ6 camshaft swap ... I also swapped the cam chain and the cam sprockets... I haven't put the bike on a dyno yet, but a close friend has an XJ6 and we made a few runs side by side, at top end my bike is quicker, rev quicker (I even reached my top speed record at 228km/h-141,7mph) and then the bike was limitted by ECU (At 6th gear) ... It is worthy saying i haven't intalled an aftermarket airfilter and fuel controller yet, but i would guess my bike gained something around 5hp... I did had a problem with the throttle position sensor, cuz i didn't know i had to worry about its angle, but i figured it out and the bike is running just fine now.... Does anyone know who does the ECU reflash job for the FZ6R?

Thanks a lot,

Bruno

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Bruno

With the PCV you can change the rev limiter. Just need to get the key code from the PCV dealer... I won't go over 13000 maybe 13250 RPM at the max. Unless you get better valve springs.

Thanks for your reply Marthy.

I read on power comander website that for the Rev-xtend function a device called ignition module is needed (And also send them an signed form resquesting and taking responsability for RPM limit increase), but this ignition module isn't available for our bike... It is actually available for the R6... I wonder if it would work on the FZ6R...

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/IgnitionModule/powercommander_ignition_module.aspx

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Bruno

It should. I think it work parallel with the PCV. My suggestion will be to go on the dyno and look at what you have with the PCV only. If the HP curve fall off pass 11K... no point to spin faster!
Yes Marthy, that makes a lot of sense... If the HP curve on the dyno fall off bellow the rev limit there is no point doing it... As soon as i can, i will put her on a dyno... My my guess is that she still has more give beyond the rev limit... It is happening something that is not commom on any other bike i heard about, she reaches the limit on the road (On dyno it is easy) in last gear (6th)...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Bruno

Hello Mistatah T,

Thanks for your input... Before anything, i created a MS spreedsheet and listed the parts i considered to have key role in an engine and compared the Yamaha codes from the FZ6R, FZ6 and R6 on each parts catalogue... Naturally the FZ6 has more parts in commum with the R6 than our bike... But the comparison here will be between the FZ6 and the FZ6R... So lets leave the R6 out and i will summarize it for you... On the crankcase, the FZ6 and FZ6R are almost the same, crankshaft bearing, conecting rods, pistons, pistons rings, camshaft journals, only the crankshaft itself has a different code (I don’t know what is the difference, if there is one)... On the cylinder head the FZ6 has more differences, like wider cam chain (Which i swapped), camshafts with more duration and 0,6mm more lift (Which i swapped), wider camshafts sprockets (Which i swapped). The valves face have the same diameter (intake 0,9803” and exhaust0,8622”) and the FZ6R valve face is 0,0027” wider (I consider it irrelevant). I’m not sure if there is any difference in the valves materials. The springs is what worries me most about increasing the rev limiter, cuz on the FZ6 there are 2 spring (One inside the other) for each intake valve... But i took a look at the CB600f hornet parts catalogue for have another insight (This bike is another 4 cilinder 600cc that revs like the FZ6), and there is only one spring for each valve (Like our bike). Also the FZ6 has bigger throttle bodies, but i won’t worry about it, though i may lose some ponies here... After a long time researching and e-mailing Yamahas around the world, i have all the sources of all the information i wrote above, if anyone interested... So i would take the risk to let my bike rev highier (not more than the FZ6 of course), if i figure out how to do it... The powerband really moved upward throughout the rev range as i expected... It pushes really hard all the way to the rev limit, even in 6th gear...

Bruno

I came across a devide called Rapid bike Evo... It is a fuel controller that has the option to add 1000RPM to our bike (In model EVO or racing, this option is available for some bikes)... What do you guys think? The valve springs can handle more 1000RPM? By the way, what is our bike rev limit? I think it is about 12.500RPM by watching the tachometer... If so, RB evo will take it to 13500RPM...

Bruno

Hello guys... I ended up finding a good deal on FZ6 ECU and i gave it try... I bought it... Worth remembering that i`m using FZ6 cams and on FZ6 valve timing... Anyway, the bike starts and idle fine for awhile, sometimes i can even manage to rev it for like one minute and then the trouble light shows up and the bike shuts off... It appears errors 33 and 34 on the cluster that according to the service manual reffer to a short circuit or malfunction on each ignition coil0 or ignition coil primary wires... Does anyone have an idea? The ignition coils are the same, though they have different Yamaha part numbers, i checked and both are Denso JO383 (Or something like that)... It seems to me that the wire from the ECU to ignition coils are different (Resistance and those eletrical stuff) or the ECU is deffective... Anyone a hint?

Thanks,

Bruno

Fizzer6R

Hello guys... I ended up finding a good deal on FZ6 ECU and i gave it try... I bought it... Worth remembering that i`m using FZ6 cams and on FZ6 valve timing... Anyway, the bike starts and idle fine for awhile, sometimes i can even manage to rev it for like one minute and then the trouble light shows up and the bike shuts off... It appears errors 33 and 34 on the cluster that according to the service manual reffer to a short circuit or malfunction on each ignition coil0 or ignition coil primary wires... Does anyone have an idea? The ignition coils are the same, though they have different Yamaha part numbers, i checked and both are Denso JO383 (Or something like that)... It seems to me that the wire from the ECU to ignition coils are different (Resistance and those eletrical stuff) or the ECU is deffective... Anyone a hint?

Thanks,

Bruno
just think, if you put as much effort into improving your riding skills as you do on this rev BS, you'd end up being able to ride your bike faster and not need this

maybe you should stop trying to make the bike a super-sport, because it isn't one

Bruno

just think, if you put as much effort into improving your riding skills as you do on this rev BS, you'd end up being able to ride your bike faster and not need this

maybe you should stop trying to make the bike a super-sport, because it isn't one
How do you know my riding skills?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

How do you know my riding skills?
sorry didn't mean to offend you. I am not questioning your riding skills, but I do still stand by my opinion (which may not mean anything to you) - the performance you will gain by making this bike rev higher do not equal the benefits you will see if you're a better rider overall.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

06330i

The time and money that would be put into this bike just to make it a little faster would be completely not worth it. Even if you got 75 or so horsepower out of the bike, you wouldn't be able to keep up with any super sport. Not to mention messing with a bike that wasn't designed for high revs, could take away from the reliability of the bike (and also void your warranty if you still have one)