How much did you pay for 4k service?

nathanking

If you did not DIY for the 4k service, how much did it cost, what specifically was done, did they do a throttle body sync and did it include oil change?

Just curious because I have gotten extremely high quotes $250+ and 4k is coming right around the corner.

Spunky99

Not a cent....I totaled the bike before I had 4K on it......

Sage

Mine only cost me 120 bucks, 2 hours of labor (and supplies were free since the owner loves me lol)

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

nathanking

Mine only cost me 120 bucks, 2 hours of labor (and supplies were free since the owner loves me lol)
What exactly did they do in those two hours? Full check, replace fluids, oil change, throttle body sync? the lowest quote i have gotten is 220 because its 100 dollars just for the throttle sync.

Detrich

$280 + tax over here in So Cali... Was the same for the 600 mile service..,

bigddy263

I did it myself. $100 for sync tool and $30 for full synthetic oil. Just go by the owners manual, it tells you what needs to be done. Btw the Sync is easy! I have yet to check the spark plugs. Probably do that this weekend.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Sage

What exactly did they do in those two hours? Full check, replace fluids, oil change, throttle body sync? the lowest quote i have gotten is 220 because its 100 dollars just for the throttle sync.
It was w/e checks were in the owners/service manual for the milage I'm pretty sure.

I'm 100% they checked my chain (tension/wear), degreased/lubed the chain, changed oil, checked my cables, and cleaned my brakes/rotors because I thought they were feeling spongy and the mechanic showed me how much was left on the brakes and said it was way off from being done. The cleaning helped alot lol

bmw675

ignored it....

well, that is besides the oil and chain.

I feel that i must add that i checked everything often, and did not ignore my maintenance until the odo hit a certain level.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Most all of these service intervals, the dealers usually only change the oil and pocket the money. I have never taken a bike to a dealer for service but only once, or car for that matter. Everything is very easy to do yourself and will save you thousands of dollars over the life of your bike.

I have caught dealers lying before the ONE time I did take my bike in for a valve adjustment. Pocketed the money and never touched the bike. I put nail polish around the valve cover and a couple bolts that would have must have been removed to do the work. None of it was broken what so ever. I dont trust them at all. You can do the work with more care then they will and you KNOW it was done. And at a fraction of the cost.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

nathanking

Most all of these service intervals, the dealers usually only change the oil and pocket the money. I have never taken a bike to a dealer for service but only once, or car for that matter. Everything is very easy to do yourself and will save you thousands of dollars over the life of your bike.

I have caught dealers lying before the ONE time I did take my bike in for a valve adjustment. Pocketed the money and never touched the bike. I put nail polish around the valve cover and a couple bolts that would have must have been removed to do the work. None of it was broken what so ever. I dont trust them at all. You can do the work with more care then they will and you KNOW it was done. And at a fraction of the cost.
How did you go about the dealership after you discovered they hadn't touched your bike?! did you bring it up? get your money back!?

JSP

Super Moderator
Any tips on documenting your own work in case they try and wiggle out of the warranty?
Just keep log book of date, and mileage. Receipts help too. THEY must prove you did not do the work and that it was a direct cause of the failure.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Reactions: JSP

JSP

Super Moderator
How did you go about the dealership after you discovered they hadn't touched your bike?! did you bring it up? get your money back!?

I told them it sounded exactly the same and said it must still be out of spec. It had a bad ticking goin on. He just kinda looked at me dumbfounded. Said the polish I had on the valve cover wasnt broken so how did he adjust the valves? He didnt have much to say... I physically sat there and watched him do it again. Never took nothing back to them again. Should have made a bigger stink to the higher ups, but I just didnt think it would matter.

CraigEgg

Mine was part of a combo package that includes the first 6 services. I am sure I got hosed, but I like paying for convenience.

/shrug

behindXgrnXeyes

Just got home from my 4k service. $130.26. Though I didnt have to pay a dime thanks to 6 prepaid maintenance jobs i bought when I got the bike

JSP

Super Moderator
Just got home from my 4k service. $130.26. Though I didnt have to pay a dime thanks to 6 prepaid maintenance jobs i bought when I got the bike

You are paying way more than that if you financed them in with the purchase price of the bike. Unless you paid cash of course ;)