How many of you "blip" the throttle to downshift?

Captain_Kev

When I first started to ride I was told about this downshifting technique, and for the last 2 years I have become obsessed with perfecting it. It allows me a seamless downshift in a split second, and since the downshift always keeps me in the power band, it has almost completely replaced my use of braking in the canyons.

I don't ever hear too much about this technique on the forums, just wondering how many of you use it and if it serves any practical purpose in your riding.

Spunky99

When I first started to ride I was told about this downshifting technique, and for the last 2 years I have become obsessed with perfecting it. It allows me a seamless downshift in a split second, and since the downshift always keeps me in the power band, it has almost completely replaced my use of braking in the canyons.

I don't ever hear too much about this technique on the forums, just wondering how many of you use it and if it serves any practical purpose in your riding.
Been doing it for 43 years. Learned to do it dirt bike riding.

JSP

Super Moderator
Always...

My R6 has a slipper clutch so not completely necessary, but still a good habit to have.

Helps with high rpm/hard braking downshifts so the rear does not lock.

DragonBlu

Always at higher speeds and RPM's. Of course when downshifting to first at low speeds it isn't practical. The practical purpose is to keep from locking up the rear tire and dumping the bike or to a lesser degree,breaking something. (Like Jay stated) Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

WhiteFZ

Always at higher speeds and RPM's. Of course when downshifting to first at low speeds it isn't practical. The practical purpose is to keep from locking up the rear tire and dumping the bike or to a lesser degree,breaking something. (Like Jay stated) Practice makes perfect.
I've done it forever. In my cars, and bikes.

ChasingSquid

Ok, since i got my bike last year I have been trying to do this. I think i have read every post on this forum about how to properly rev-match or blip the throttle to actually downshift. It all sounds great in my head, however, when i get on the bike its a completely different story.

Forgive my noobness, but basically, im not able to do it in practice whatsoever. :banghead: :banghead:

Follow me along this journey here....

So I am

1. Crusin along at 45 mph in 3rd gear.
2. Decide i want to break for some reason
3. See that i am ~4-5k rpms

Here is where im lost - do i then

4. quickly rev(blip) the throttle more so than i am already to "rev match" and then once i hit 7-8k rpms ????
5. Downshift without the clutch ???

So confused, thanks in advance...

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
You downshift the same way, use the clutch... Just blip the throttle before you let the clutch out. You can do it all really fast and it becomes second nature.

Otherwise, when you are riding hard, high rpm, and pull the clutch in, the rpm drop significantly. If you let the clutch out right then, it is catching and trying to race back up to match the engines rpm/wheel. Blipin the throttle saves that and helps it become smooth and not lock/skip the rear.

Captain_Kev

Ok, since i got my bike last year I have been trying to do this. I think i have read every post on this forum about how to properly rev-match or blip the throttle to actually downshift. It all sounds great in my head, however, when i get on the bike its a completely different story.

Forgive my noobness, but basically, im not able to do it in practice whatsoever. :banghead: :banghead:

Follow me along this journey here....

So I am

1. Crusin along at 45 mph in 3rd gear.
2. Decide i want to break for some reason
3. See that i am ~4-5k rpms

Here is where im lost - do i then

4. quickly rev(blip) the throttle more so than i am already to "rev match" and then once i hit 7-8k rpms ????
5. Downshift without the clutch ???

So confused, thanks in advance...
There may be more than one way to do this, but I use the clutch...

1) Pull in clutch
2) Downshift
3) "Blip" the throttle to match revs after the downshift
4) Release clutch

2 & 3 are relatively simultaneous

Xfactor evo

I learned to do this when i first started racing my car bout 8 years ago. Been doing it ever since and soon as i got my bike started doing it.

osprey

I do 3&4 simultaneously. Under normal conditions, I don't exaggerate the blip. I personally don't like to dilly-dally holding the clutch in an exaggeratedly prolonged shift. Quick and clean is the goal for me. I don't power-shift (old dirt bike term we used to use for shifting sanz-clutch) unless it is an emergency, which is extremely rare; so much so that I haven't done it in years.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

I'll try this tomorrow but what's the difference between this and powershifting down? I can and have powershifted up and down but I only learned how to do in case I ever end up with a broken clutch lever I may be able to limp it home.

Detrich

"Rev matching" is what I think is the correct way to down shift & engine brake. Smoother the better so that the bike doesn't kick. I wouldn't power down shift or over blip while down shifting cuz it destabilizes the bike...

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

If you are running high RPM and you downshift without blipping the throttle you are taking a big chance that you lock the rear especially if you are in the first gears. I always blip the throttle to match rpm.

This can also help in braking faster using engine braking only. Using the brakes can cause our bikes to dive pretty hard in the front end. This really isn't what you want if you are coming into a turn hard. Engine braking can also cause the front end to dive but it doesn't seem to be as bad (in my opinion). Higher RPMs will mean quicker engine braking.

Brock Kickass

I do it every time. It reduces risk of rear wheel lockup, and it also sounds so cool. Haha. Seriously, though, I always heel-toe in the car, and just sort of naturally started matching revs on the bike. It just seems like the right way to shift for me.

b_who

Always, plenty of reasons to blip the throttle and cant think of any reasons not too