Helmet Suggestions

engineered2win

live everyone else said DO NOT buy a used helmet. However i dont think anyone else mentioned bluetooth. All helmets are DOT approved, i mean are the shoei nice helmets, absolutely, are they going to protect you more or worth the double the money? that's up for debate. I highly recommend a helmet with bluetooth built in. Went riding with my nephew yesterday and so nice to be able to communicate through the helmets, as well as listen to music or gps or even answer the phone (which no one calls me when im riding they know better )
anyway for cheap i recomend the vcan 136 (about 110). fi you have a few more bucks get the Torc t12B (about 250) with the internal drop down sun visor and the built in bluetooth and they most likely have one that matches your bike if you have the white /red or blue.
I've never tried a bluetooth helmet, but am rather skeptical about their performance and safety. I wear custom ear plugs and I'm still concerned with long term hearing damage from wind noise. How loud do you have to crank the volume to hear music/voice over the wind noise and buffeting at highway speed?

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

I've never tried a bluetooth helmet, but am rather skeptical about their performance and safety. I wear custom ear plugs and I'm still concerned with long term hearing damage from wind noise. How loud do you have to crank the volume to hear music/voice over the wind noise and buffeting at highway speed?
Not that loud at all, you can still hear your surroundings, as well as if you had no music? no, but once you go music there is no going back.

I disagree completely. Having bluetooth is great. Having it built into the helmet limits who you can talk to. It also means that every 5 years you're throwing away the bluetooth hardware when you get a new helmet.

It makes more sense to me to buy a bluetooth setup and add it to whatever helmet you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what you mean by limits who you can talk to, i bought helmets that had the blinc system in them so at least i knew i could connect to other blinc helmets (vcan, torc,oneil) If you have a Sena you can just talk to anyone? I really do not like how bulky they are and the way they stick off your helmet but i hear what your saying. Since the helmets are only 110-250 though i think i can still replace it cheaper than a Sena + new helmet. Either way the point is that bluetooth in one way shape or form is the way to go.

I have to agree. I grabbed a Sena SMH5-2 and upgraded the speakers to the SMH10 speakers and love them. I know I won't keep my helmet much more than 2 seasons so it will be nice to just switch to my new helmet.
i do bet the transmitters are better in those Sena? Can you hear bike to bike at freeway speeds with yours? I think mine transmits better than my buddies because i have one of those windjammers.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

RoadTrip

I used to stuff earbuds in deep, turned on the tunes to drown out the wind, it was great, until one day..... yep, tinnitus. I ride without music now, and guess what it's no big deal. You are right to be concerned about your hearing, listening to music on rides is fun, but not essential.

latony007

I must have missed the part about long term hearing damage. I would say that's about zero %. Its way louder listening to music in my car or a movie at my house lol.
Maybe if you goto cycle gear they will let you try one of the displays.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Thanks for the info. I have a Sena SMH5-02 and thought I had read that before, but couldn't verify it until I searched by "universal intercom". I updated my Sena a few weeks ago and charged it so I now have that capability. I thought it was only for the SMH10. Good to know if I ever do any group riding.
id like to see if that works with my blinc helmets, meet me in Colorado? :)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Sport Bike Girl

I had a high speed wreck and was catapulted off my bike. I had a scorpion EXO 500. I hit hard enough to crack the styrofoam on the inside of the helmet and a also had a small bleed on my brain. The face shield saved my face and the helmet overall was in good shape considering how hard I hit the ground. I'm purchasing the same model helmet. I love the inflatable cheek pads and internal visor.

Kat "Tails" Arnold

I have been scouring the internet for a Bell Cerwinske helmet in medium. Does ANYONE know where I can find one? I tried eBay, Amazon, Google shopping, just about everywhere I can think of. They were first introduced in 2010 I believe and have since been discontinued. The only 2 I could find still available are XXL. A friend of mine has one and I love it, but she won't get rid of it. So, any help? A photo of it is attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

latony007

I have been scouring the internet for a Bell Cerwinske helmet in medium. Does ANYONE know where I can find one? I tried eBay, Amazon, Google shopping, just about everywhere I can think of. They were first introduced in 2010 I believe and have since been discontinued. The only 2 I could find still available are XXL. A friend of mine has one and I love it, but she won't get rid of it. So, any help? A photo of it is attached.
im sure they have a replacement model but you might check jafrum, leather up and motorcycle superstore but I imagine they would show up on google shopping. This just went down in price check it out.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ONeal-Fastrack-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B005H5Z4NQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396977663&sr=8-1&keywords=oneil+fasttrack"]Amazon.com: O'Neal Fastrack II Motorcycle Helmet with Bluetooth Technology (Flat Black, Medium): Automotive[/ame]

I guess I should have been a little more clear. The actual helmet model is a Bell Star, which is still available in a variety of patterns but the Cerwinske pattern on it was designed by Jona Cerwinske, a Sharpie artist who is most famous for taking a Sharpie marker to a Lamborghini. This design is a replica of the design used on the Lamborghini and was limited edition.

I was just curious if anyone on this forum has the helmet (or knows someone who does) and wants to get rid of it. I know used helmets aren't the best to buy, but I hear a lot of stories of guys who buy their girlfriends a helmet and then they break up, leaving a perfectly good helmet that needs a new home lol. And seeing how this seems to look more like a ladies helmet, I thought I'd get lucky asking!

Last edited:

bmw675

Email riders discount. They have more than what their website usually shows, and at the best price you'll find.