Buzzing/Rattling Noise

850T5m

Hey everyone, I bought my bike at the beginning of the season and noticed all summer that it has a weird buzzing/metal rattling noise. I realize noises are hard to describe, but I'll try to describe it as best as I can...

So the noise is heard only in 4,5 and 6th gears. Loudest in 5th from what I can tell. If it makes the noise in 1-3, I haven't noticed, maybe it's not as loud.

The noise only happens when I accelerate or cruise. Happens at any RPM, as long as it's in the higher gears.

When I let go of the throttle, the noise stops.

It's loud enough to hear over my loose helmet (need to get a new one) and my TB exhaust.

Kinda sounds like a car with a loose exhaust heat shield, like a rattling thin metal noise.

Noise isn't more obvious from left or right side. Can't hear it at idle.

What I've done...clean the chain assembly many times, including around the front sprocket.
Lubed it with chain wax.

Changed the oil (before I ever drove it actually...so can't tell you if it started after the oil change)
Oil is Motul 7100 10W-40, Full Synthetic Ester.

Adjusted chain slack. Adjusted clutch cable/lever.

Any ideas?
I know these bikes make a bunch of noise, just wondering if it's a "normal" noise or not...

BluePill

Last edited:

vcdstroyr

Didn't happen on the FZ6R, but I think I had something similar happen on my 2002 Honda F4I. The symptoms you're describing are almost the same.

It turned out to be that the cam tensioner had gone bad. This cost me about 300 bucks to fix (parts and labor) back in 2008 on that honda but at the time I didn't know what it was or how to fix it. You might look into all other solutions before you start going down this route.

Good luck.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

850T5m

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I took the bike for a drive today (it's been a while) and have some better details about the noise and a small clip.

So the noise happens in all gears I believe, but it's MUCH more obvious in the higher gears.
If I swing my left leg off the bike, the noise is louder. Right side doesn't change anything.
The noise is still there when cruising or let off the gas, but it's barely audible.

Here's a horrible clip I took while my buddy was on my bike today:
https://youtu.be/f5uOTLpuQ4Q

The bike has 20000km on it. I checked the chain today, it looks like it might be at the outer specs of the user manual, but still within the range it should be.
I'll check it out with a measuring tape when I have some time...