Helmet Suggestions

Chuck12

I just purchase a new 2012 FZ6R for 4,999.00. Been waiting/looking of approximately eight years. I am 57 and it's be a long wait.

I was told not to buy a "used" helmet". What is your opinion?

What brand and kind of Helmet?

I think I like the helmet were the your can raise the chin to talk.

Is the type of helmet with the sun visor built in behind the main shield a good thing to have for the addition cost?

Should I be looking a ratings?

Chuck

Last edited:

DragonBlu

Personally I like Shoei. I have had three of them. My latest is the Quest which I like the best of all for my needs. Check out our search function for a some good info on helmets. Welcome to the FZ6R! "Just say no" to used helmets. Go into a store and try some on if they will allow it. Head shape dictates fit and you want it to fit correctly.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Congrats on the new bike! 8 yrs of waiting! Why so long?

Anyway, the used helmet concern may pertain to a recent concept that helmets have a 'useable' life even if they look new. Most new helmets now come with dates located on the EPS foam under the liners. Supposedly many tracks won't even let you ride if they were manufactured more than 5 years ago.

I still pay the big bucks for Shoei cause they fit me well and are very comfortable. I like a tight race fit, not headache tight, but just shy of that, which is essentially in line with the Mfg's rccmd size for me (see webz for head measurements vs helmet size). If you don't have any shops in your area with helmets to try, then check out Revzilla, they have a free exchange if it doesn't fit.

Since you live in Oregon, you may have issues with fogging on the inside of the visor, maybe make sure you get a model with the pinlock system. The new Shoei RF-1200 in solid color is about $400 and includes a pinlock shield and the insert. It just came out so you will know you are getting a fresh lid (recently manufactured), and it will likely last you a very long time. I also rcccmd using 'Zans coolmax headliner' to keep the inside of the helmet clean longer.

Finally, Shoei will soon release the 'transitions' pinlock shield ($150) so it will darken in the day, and turn clear at night, just use your pinlock insert on that shield and that is all you would need. You don't need to spend this much to get a good helmet, though, but the little things matter like ventilation, noise (wear earplugs, though, anyway), and especially wind buffeting control all add up to a more enjoyable ride. Shoei has these issues covered pretty well, and most likely you will be very happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

Chuck12

Wanted for so long is because for I put my family first before me. Wife and both sons have a good education and are now doing well. I am just a dumb electrician and always regret not getting a good education.

Also, I just could find a good deal. Most of the 2009's; people (private owner's) wanted as much or more than the dealers asking price; $4,500 to as high as $5,600 plus. Note : There is suppose to be one left at Sublimity Oregon Power Sports, Brand new 2012 FZ6R for $4,999.00.

Can you get a good deal on line for a helmet?

Were do you suggest looking for good price?.

PS: Do you all think I got a good buy? Brand New 2012 FZ6R with 6 miles on it with one year warranty for again $4,999.00?

Last edited:

echoplex

With Helmets quality is what really are paying for.

A Shoei RF1100 was my first helmet ever, bought it for $400, couldn't believe I was paying that kind of money for a helmet. I got used to it and was like, whats the big deal why is this so expensive.

Then I tried on some $100 - $200 helmets and rode around in those.

The Shoei was soooo much more comfortable and the padding was incredibly nice compared to the others, also it was very quiet which was the biggest thing for me at least since I do a lot of highway riding.

RoadTrip

Wanted for so long is because for I put my family first before me. Wife and both sons have a good education and are now doing well. I am just a dumb electrician and always regret not getting a good education.

Also, I just could find a good deal. Most of the 2009's; people (private owner's) wanted as much or more than the dealers asking price; $4,500 to as high as $5,600 plus. Note : There is suppose to be one left at Sublimity Oregon Power Sports, Brand new 2012 FZ6R for $4,999.00.

Can you get a good deal on line for a helmet?

Were do you suggest looking for good price?.

PS: Do you all think I got a good buy? Brand New 2012 FZ6R with 6 miles on it with one year warranty for again $4,999.00?
Well, your a patient man, good deal. And, yes, you got a great deal on the bike. Shoei is price controlled (std 10% discount), so its the same price everywhere you go (unless its a closeout). The only difference to buying online vs local store will be the tax (I am sure you could negotiate the 10% if they were charging full MSRP). Motorcycle gear can get real expensive, so if you have a particular budget in mind, then consider the full outfit before settling on one item.

I wear full race gear on the streets, I just like the way it looks and no flapping, but most peeps wear the Kevlar jeans and jacket combo. But, you also got boots and gloves to buy. The thing with a crash is you really cannot predict what will take the worst blow, so protecting all of your extremities is the way to go. Shopping online, e.g Motorcycle Superstore or Revzilla (my favorite), can actually be quite enjoyable, lots of reviews and good pictures. In theory white gear is safer due to visibility, but it can be a pain to keep clean, I sport mostly black with white accents.

Buy the jacket just a tad big so you can fit undergarments under there if you ride in the cold. A perforated jacket is still the best choice, IMO, cause you can ride down to 35-40 degrees with undergarments, but then you don't cook in the summer. Anyway, just get online and start shopping, if you don't like the item, send it back, its very easy, you just print out a return form and drop it off at the UPS store, typically credited back to your account within a week.

Fizzer6R

geez that dealer couldn't throw in a new helmet too for you on an already great deal? haha Chuck congrats on the new bike@!

yes, get a new helmet unless you know/trust someone that can ensure a used has never been impacted by a drop or hitting something hard, as just one fall can weaken the shell that you hope protects your skull

helmets are close to opinions on oil or tires, one person loves a brand while another hates/says junk. I'm on 30+ years of riding and have seen fair share of crashes personally and around others, IMHO a $500. helmet is not going to protect your head any better than a 100. one. the higher end ones might have better inside liners for comfort, it's best to try on many because with one brand your head feels good in a Large, and another could be a size up or down (med. or XL)

on the cheaper end you could try Cycle Gear Salem | Cycle Gear

if you have a big bike dealership that stocks a lot of helmets you can try on some, but would be surprised if those prices are decent. negotiate telling them you can save $ online and see if they can match or come close to giving you a deal

try Motorcycle Helmets On Sale ? Buy Your Motorcycle Helmet - RevZilla

Street Bike & Sportbike Helmets - Motorcycle Superstore

Helmets and Eyewear :: MotorcycleGear.com

reviews http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Last edited:

Billsbet0

The helmets with the lift up Chins are called modular. The tinted inner shield I consider a must have. Each person has their own list of must haves.

I think it it's really important to try on what you are thinking about buying, sizing will very greatly manufacture to manufacture. So try it on at a store and decide if it's worth buying then or finding on line.

I like the scorpion helmets and plan on buying one on my next purchase. It's Around 250.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

engineered2win

I bought a LS2 FF396 that has the internal sunvisor for $200. You're not guaranteed more protection with an expensive helmet necessarily. You're mostly paying for lighter weight, better aero (internal cooling, and external airflow management), and the brand name. As an ex impact lab engineer, you may be surprised that price /= safety. It's not Snell approved, but I prefer the ECE anyways, and both are superior to only a DOT approved helmet.

I prefer the internal visor to all other current options. I have photochromatic(transitions) cycling glasses, but they are only good for dawn/dusk riding. Frankly they rather suck, but I spent good money on them, so I continue to use them. They never get as dark or clear as you want them. They react to UV light, and are not instant. There is a 10 second delay I would estimate. Transitioning from light/dark or vice versa quickly for example tunnels are maddening. Also just because it's bright sun outside, doesn't mean your visor will be dark. There has to be direct sun (UV) light on your visor for them to change.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Grumpy

I just purchase a new 2012 FZ6R for 4,999.00. Been waiting/looking of approximately eight years. I am 57 and it's be a long wait.

I was told not to buy a "used" helmet". What is your opinion?

What brand and kind of Helmet?

I think I like the helmet were the your can raise the chin to talk.

Is the type of helmet with the sun visor built in behind the main shield a good thing to have for the addition cost?

Should I be looking a ratings?

Chuck
You should only by a NEW helmet. I wouldn't trust a use one, no way.

If you like the flip up chin, modular, helmet try looking at SHARK and RPHA. But expect to spend some cash on a good helmet. The SHARK is the only maker I know that you can ride with the chin in the up position.

You need to try on a helmet and make sure it fits correctly and then wear it for about 10 minutes or so to make sure there are not any pressure points.

How to fit a helmet. ---> [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmWBp65gbo]The Helmet Center on proper helmet fit - TheHelmetCenter.com - YouTube[/ame]

All makes and models trend to fit differently from each-other so reading review may not help you there. Just go try on a bunch.

latony007

live everyone else said DO NOT buy a used helmet. However i dont think anyone else mentioned bluetooth. All helmets are DOT approved, i mean are the shoei nice helmets, absolutely, are they going to protect you more or worth the double the money? that's up for debate. I highly recommend a helmet with bluetooth built in. Went riding with my nephew yesterday and so nice to be able to communicate through the helmets, as well as listen to music or gps or even answer the phone (which no one calls me when im riding they know better )
anyway for cheap i recomend the vcan 136 (about 110). fi you have a few more bucks get the Torc t12B (about 250) with the internal drop down sun visor and the built in bluetooth and they most likely have one that matches your bike if you have the white /red or blue.

RyanChristenson

I have the hjc symax iii. I like it. It's a bit noisy but that's what you will get with a modular. I like the added air flow for summer riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodypulp

I have HJC IS max bt and speed &strength rage w/machine rage is better fitting helmet but can't beat the mod for summer days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2